+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Josh Murphy rumour

Re: Josh Murphy rumour

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What a load of complete bollocks. You’re better off having someone with potential on the books than some old carthorse on 100k a week.

£11 million is nothing in today’s market, not one team in the premier league didn’t sign a player for at least 10 million last season. Can we stop acting like it’s a huge sum?
    Typical response. I wrote of a journeyman who who would do a good job and you turn it into a ‘carthorse’!
    Potential is fine at the right cost. We would not be prudent spending £11m and I guess £50k a week on somebody who might come good. That really wouldn’t build great team spirit! We need players who can deliver, not might do.

So you think bringing in a player like John terry on huge wages is better for team spirit than bringing in a young hungry player?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    What if was £11m?
    What would you think then?

Spending that sort of money also tells every other club to hold out for more.

A journey man who can do a good job for one season and then go, as Terry did at Villa, is a far better option than having players who are overpriced, untested and could be a long term financial liability.
    How did Terry do a good job at Villa ?. He went there with the specific purpose of helping get them promotion this season (failed) and cost them a fortune in the process in signing on fees and wages. They spent so much on gambling on getting up this year, on Terry and others, that they are now on the brink of administration. He then immediately leaves and goes looking for his next pay day.

International

Typical response. I wrote of a journeyman who who would do a good job and you turn it into a ‘carthorse’!
    Potential is fine at the right cost. We would not be prudent spending £11m and I guess £50k a week on somebody who might come good. That really wouldn’t build great team spirit! We need players who can deliver, not might do.
    Which cloud did you pluck £50K a week from to bolster your argument?
    And how do you know the budget is £20 million? Source?

So you think bringing in a player like John terry on huge wages is better for team spirit than bringing in a young hungry player?
    Hang on. Your talking about bringing in a young hungry player who would cost a lot of money, earn a lot of money, who you consider to have the potential to deliver. What would it do team spirit if he didn’t.

A player with a proven reputation who delivered would obviously be be better for team spirit.

You continue to ignore my point that the journey man would be worth having if he did a good job. Nobody would argue, well you might, that a journey man who doesn’t do a good job would be worth having. A player doing a good job is better than playing one that might, which is why so many young players struggle to get a chance. Murphy has had chances at Norwich but has hardly become a fans favourite.

How did Bellamy work out in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Which cloud did you pluck £50K a week from to bolster your argument?
    And how do you know the budget is £20 million? Source?
    I don’t know that the budget is £20m or £30 or whatever but know that those numbers have been quoted in the media hence the ironic reference. Keep up.
    As for £50k note my words “and I guess £50k”. I have no idea what an £11m player would earn. Do you?

Hang on. Your talking about bringing in a young hungry player who would cost a lot of money, earn a lot of money, who you consider to have the potential to deliver. What would it do team spirit if he didn’t.

A player with a proven reputation who delivered would obviously be be better for team spirit.

You continue to ignore my point that the journey man would be worth having if he did a good job. Nobody would argue, well you might, that a journey man who doesn’t do a good job would be worth having. A player doing a good job is better than playing one that might, which is why so many young players struggle to get a chance. Murphy has had chances at Norwich but has hardly become a fans favourite.
    But your suggestion seems to be based on certainties so it is flawed. Would I rather gamble on bringing someone near the end of his career for a season on silly money or youth with a bloody good track record in the championship with potential to grow and be around for years.... i’ll Take the youth every day. He’s got as much chance being a star for us as a gamble on an older guy who can’t get in a better teams squad anymore

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How did Terry do a good job at Villa ?. He went there with the specific purpose of helping get them promotion this season (failed) and cost them a fortune in the process in signing on fees and wages. They spent so much on gambling on getting up this year, on Terry and others, that they are now on the brink of administration. He then immediately leaves and goes looking for his next pay day.
    FFS. He had a one year contract with an option for another. He did them a favour leaving?

So, he was signed on the basis that he would guarantee them promotion all on his own. After a shit start to the season, they got to Wembley and lost, some would say unluckily on the day. He was a real waste of money. It was all his fault!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    But your suggestion seems to be based on certainties so it is flawed. Would I rather gamble on bringing someone near the end of his career for a season on silly money or youth with a bloody good track record in the championship with potential to grow and be around for years.... i’ll Take the youth every day. He’s got as much chance being a star for us as a gamble on an older guy who can’t get in a better teams squad anymore
    My suggestion is based on a premise.
    A journeyman who would do well would be a better bet than a player with a potential to do well. I could be right or wrong about both. Could you.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    How did Bellamy work out in the end?
    Fantastic if we could bring in a player of his quality I’d be all for it. A journey man like John terry he was not.

My suggestion is based on a premise.
    A journeyman who would do well would be a better bet than a player with a potential to do well. I could be right or wrong about both. Could you.
    What the **** are you talking about

Like reading the ramblings of a genuine mad man.

It’s a gamble whoever you sign, good older players and good young hungry players are both needed. Why are you working in such weird abstract absolutes?

50k a week

No chance!

If we are going to be spending a sum like £11 million on a player, I would prefer it that it was someone with the potential to be sold for more, rather than someone on their last big pay day. Murphy doesn't really fit the "Premier League experience" criteria that we've been hearing about and, I must say, I'm quite happy about that - if the worst comes to the worst and we go down, then I would expect us to at least get our money back on Murphy if Warnock gets him playing next season - just as we did with Medel and Caulker.

What the **** are you talking about

Like reading the ramblings of a genuine mad man.

It’s a gamble whoever you sign, good older players and good young hungry players are both needed. Why are you working in such weird abstract absolutes?
    Hes fried me. I couldnt sleep last night and read it about 3am this morning and it made no sense. Just tried reading it again this morning and I am still none the wiser.

Perhaps we will sign a mix of PL experience, and good young championship players. Its not like Murphy wil be our only signing?!?!

Besides Terry, Villa signed a shit load of experienced, on the way down players and look how that has turned out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    50k a week

No chance!
    Bonkers

The last thing we need is another Ricky Lambert, out with the old and in with the new.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Hes fried me. I couldnt sleep last night and read it about 3am this morning and it made no sense. Just tried reading it again this morning and I am still none the wiser.

Perhaps we will sign a mix of PL experience, and good young championship players. Its not like Murphy wil be our only signing?!?!

Besides Terry, Villa signed a shit load of experienced, on the way down players and look how that has turned out!!!
    I usually have a quick look at the board before going to sleep and I ended up picking my phone back up to reply just because I couldn't get my head around what was going on

FFS. He had a one year contract with an option for another. He did them a favour leaving?

So, he was signed on the basis that he would guarantee them promotion all on his own. After a shit start to the season, they got to Wembley and lost, some would say unluckily on the day. He was a real waste of money. It was all his fault!
    But Villa had to get promoted this season, so yes signing Terry was a big failure. He was their 'Marquee' signing, the cherry on top of the cake if you like. They spent about £50m in transfer fees and god knows what his signing on fee and wages were. They were beaten to promotion by a team who had a net spend of about £8m (us). Nobody in their right mind could say he was a good signing for them. He left because they couldnt afford to keep him.