+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: So have we sold out of season tickets then ?

Re: So have we sold out of season tickets then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Not really kept up with this but just looking at eticketing, I’m assuming the end blocks of the upper Ninian are the ones that are kept for match by match tickets? If so then we are just a few hundred away from selling out ST’s ? If that were the case then I would have expected the club to put out a “nearly sold out, get them while you can” to shift the remaining ones.
    That's what I have heard. There are around 170 seats remaining in the bottom tier, 600 odd in the top. If we can shift them all in the next month or so we will have around 22500 season ticket holders next season by my estimation but the vast majority of the remaining seats are towards the more expensive end of the scale so we will have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    On a separate note, I hope they intend to spruce up those Lego panels around the ground, not sure what they are made of but even plastic or Perspex would look better. The grey ish coloured ones look particularly shite.
    Clear polycarbonate panels go yellow pretty quickly unfortunately. Twinkenham's roof is probably the worst example of this.

[QUOTE=Cozoni Wam;4892874]That's what I have heard. There are around 170 seats remaining in the bottom tier, 600 odd in the top. If we can shift them all in the next month or so we will have around 22500 season ticket holders next season by my estimation but the vast majority of the remaining seats are towards the more expensive end of the scale so we will have to see.

22,500 Season Tickets
    3,000? away fans
    Leaves approx 6,700 for general sale.

Is this about right?

[QUOTE=Barry Shitpeas;4892875]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozoni Wam View Post
    That's what I have heard. There are around 170 seats remaining in the bottom tier, 600 odd in the top. If we can shift them all in the next month or so we will have around 22500 season ticket holders next season by my estimation but the vast majority of the remaining seats are towards the more expensive end of the scale so we will have to see.

22,500 Season Tickets
    3,000? away fans
    Leaves approx 6,700 for general sale.

Is this about right?
    That figure doesnt include hospitality. There are around 4500 seats in the cooperate areas (I counted them. Yeah I know I am obsessed).

[QUOTE=Cozoni Wam;4892876]

That figure doesnt include hospitality. There are around 4500 seats in the cooperate areas (I counted them. Yeah I know I am obsessed).

4,500 hospitality seats

4,500 hospitality seats
    Yes. I counted 2000 in the top tier of the Grandstand (Sytner Lounge), 1000 in the bottom tier (Ricoh Suite, Directors box, Executive boxes) and 1500 in the middle tier of the Ninian which is being fitted out this summer (Ninian Lounge).

Thats an awful lot of prawn sarnies.

I wasnt alive back then so I am in no position to judge. However, since grounds back then were mostly full of terracing I imagine you could probably get away with attendances of 20,000 in a 40,000 capacity stadium (people would just spread out more to fill the spaces).

20,000 in a 40,000 SEATER stadium looks freaking awful.
    20000 if only 3 to 6000 rattling around in a 40000 capacity, it didn't matter how you spread yourself about the atmosphere in the main was shit.
    But people block a lot of that out and say against modern football.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    20000 if only 3 to 6000 rattling around in a 40000 capacity, it didn't matter how you spread yourself about the atmosphere in the main was shit.
    But people block a lot of that out and say against modern football.
    Yes, according to this page (http://european-football-statistics....nclub/carc.htm) our attendances during that period were absolutely pitiful but we weren't alone in that respect to be fair. English football in general was in a pretty shitty place back then, with all but the biggest clubs struggling to attract much more than 15k fans. Thankfully things improved with the advent of all seater stadia.

Also, because they were packed in like sardines in the past, stadiums didn't even have to be that big to house tens of thousands of people. I think Ninian Park held over 60,000 at one point didn't it? So maybe you didn't need so many people in the ground to create a good atmosphere. Today's stadiums by contrast are massive, even modest sized ones like ourselves so it has never been more important to fill your stadium as nothing kills an atmosphere quicker than a sea of empty seats. Thats what we need to do now.

Hang on a minute I'm talking as if I have never seen a match at Ninian Park! I started supporting City when they played at Ninian Park and I know for a fact that even with only 13k inside the terraces would 'look' pretty much full, so much so that when the attendance was read over the tannoy you'd struggle to believe how it was possible to squeeze another 3k inside there, let alone another 30k!

So you cant compare it with the CCS as a crowd of 13000 there looks like.......well a crowd of 13000 actually.

Hang on a minute I'm talking as if I have never seen a match at Ninian Park! I started supporting City when they played at Ninian Park and I know for a fact that even with only 13k inside the terraces would 'look' pretty much full, so much so that when the attendance was read over the tannoy you'd struggle to believe how it was possible to squeeze another 3k inside there, let alone another 30k!

So you cant compare it with the CCS as a crowd of 13000 there looks like.......well a crowd of 13000 actually.
    I also attended matches at Ninian Park.

I never thought the ground looked remotely full with 13000 even if it was a "fact"!!

Yeah look whatever. The point I am trying to make is that older grounds like Ninian Park didn't have to be full to 'look' full as seated areas were few and far between so there wasn't so much of a necessity to attract capacity crowds in the past and therefore making their grounds bigger maybe wasn't so much of an issue for clubs back then. Also if you wanted to increase your capacity in the past you probably didn't have to change very much since health an safety laws were a lot more lax in those days whereas now even a modest expansion can significantly increase the footprint of your ground. The Ninian Stand for instance is simply huge in comparison to the rest of our stadium which means we need more people in the stadium to get enough noise to reverberate about the place otherwise, well you lot probably have enough experience of whats its like by now when its half empty.

Or maybe not. Maybe nobody remembers any of this last season?

Attachment 2489

I tell you what, lets just pretend it never happened shall we? Who wants to live in the real world anyway, the real world is booooring.

Lets pretend instead that we are a big club already yeah? I mean WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE now right? We are one of the big boys now. Why are we wasting our time adding more tiers to our stadium? Lets grab the bull by the horns and build a brand spanking new 60k seater stadium! I mean it will be a lot cheaper to do it now rather than 5 years time. Right? And if we get relegated next season and end up with a squad full of mercenaries on sky high wages - so what? There is bound to be another Neil Warnock out there who will come along and stop us from dropping through the leagues in a 1/4 full stadium right? And then when we fill our new stadium for the very first time on the final day of our triumphant promotion winning season we will all declare that "it was all part of that shrewd ol' Mr Tan's grand Masterplan all along. Isnt he a shrewd old so and so. Vincent the shrewd. Bravo".

I didnt realise I was in the minority on here for thinking that a stand that was built out of pure spite for our fanbase was and still is a 'mistake'. Clearly I misjudged the mood on here.

Now I have to decide weather I feel rotten enough to hit the reply button. Do I really want to do this, after we have just one promotion? Really? What does it achieve? Did I even mean what I just said? Maybe I just want an excuse to not post about this anymore as its becoming annoying? Yes, thats it. Isnt it? Or is the rebrand still affecting me? God I need some sleep. How long has it been since I slept???? Is this what happened to TLG? Don't tell me I'm the next BIS! I am arent I? No I am worse. I still think I support Cardiff City!!

But I do. I really enjoyed last season. I even liked Tan when he went on the pitch at the end there. I was like "good on him, he could have said screw you i'm going home but he didn't. He's still there and look at him in his blue shirt. God. It really happened. We went up in Blue! I have waited almost 20 years for this! First I see Wales reach the Euros, now City in the Prem. I think I love this sport again. I tried to walk away from it. But I couldn't. It gave me nightmares in the end. How the hell did TLG manage to walk away from this thing? Why am I even posting on here again? Oh yeah, I finally found a way to log in at last. Well it was a bad idea. Oh yeah.

Sooooo... How are the season tickets going?

It sounds like the Ninian Park you remember is not the one many of us do. Perhaps you started watching after all the capacity reduction work went on. Was it all seater as well when you started going?

If so you’ve missed the point. I never saw Ninian Park at anything more than 35,000 (Hereford) but when there were 10-13,000 (which was rare as It was nearer 3-4,000)in that stadium it never did and never could look full

So, when is the best time to expand a stadium then? Because no matter how long we're in the Premier, the year we expand could be the year we come down.

The Jacks were there for years and didn't expand. If they had, would the extra seats have prevented their relegation?

If, as someone posted about 10 pages ago, we are looking like we have a decent chance to stay up in March and we have been more or less filling the ground all season and the early bird season tickets sell like hot cakes, we should start the process of building another tier at one end, i.e. getting suppliers and construction on standby. Then if we do stay up, push the button and do it in time for the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    If, as someone posted about 10 pages ago, we are looking like we have a decent chance to stay up in March and we have been more or less filling the ground all season and the early bird season tickets sell like hot cakes, we should start the process of building another tier at one end, i.e. getting suppliers and construction on standby. Then if we do stay up, push the button and do it in time for the following season.
    The Canton (full) with an extra 3/4000 seats, behind the existing area, would look magnificent and hopefully quite intimidating to the opposing players and fans. An Upper Ninian and Upper Canton, empty due to lack of demand, would look quite sad. Any extension to the Canton would have to be combined with an appropriate marketing campaign to get bums on seats, combined with competitive pricing. It could work but may be a few seasons off yet....in time for Gareth to come home. For now, let's look forward to a full stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    So, when is the best time to expand a stadium then? Because no matter how long we're in the Premier, the year we expand could be the year we come down.

The Jacks were there for years and didn't expand. If they had, would the extra seats have prevented their relegation?
    For me it’s all about building up a loyal support. If we go straight back down we’ll probably lose 10,000 over night. If we stay up for say 5-6 seasons, there is a better chance that more of the casual fans would have gotten into the habit of going and therefore be less likely to turn their backs on us if we are relegated.

32,000+ is perfect for us at the moment.

For me it’s all about building up a loyal support. If we go straight back down we’ll probably lose 10,000 over night. If we stay up for say 5-6 seasons, there is a better chance that more of the casual fans would have gotten into the habit of going and therefore be less likely to turn their backs on us if we are relegated.

The absolute truth . Football supporter s are transient , they will come and go .
    Should it be premier league football , red and blue , moving from our old ground , whatever the reason , football supporters are transient .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    The absolute truth . Football supporter s are transient , they will come and go .
    Should it be premier league football , red and blue , moving from our old ground , whatever the reason , football supporters are transient .
    So is now the time for the club to invest in marketing, in order to reduce the number of transient supporters? Compared to extending the stadium, costs would be relatively small and, given the right staff and strategies, something that would pay for itself over time.

That's the point though. How long do you have a sold out stadium for before you decide to expand so you can "build up" more loyal support? If we were in the Premier for 5/6 years and sold out our season tickets every year then increased capacity, if we went down the next season, there's no guarantee we won't lose 10 or even 20k from our gate.

Take a look down the road, there's a fan's group demanding refunds on season tickets because they've been relegated. Not all fans will be totally loyal to the club. We've seen that over the last 50 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    That's the point though. How long do you have a sold out stadium for before you decide to expand so you can "build up" more loyal support? If we were in the Premier for 5/6 years and sold out our season tickets every year then increased capacity, if we went down the next season, there's no guarantee we won't lose 10 or even 20k from our gate.

Take a look down the road, there's a fan's group demanding refunds on season tickets because they've been relegated. Not all fans will be totally loyal to the club. We've seen that over the last 50 or so years.
    Any decision on when (if) to expand would be down to the number crunchers. Building an extension to, say, Canton stand would have to be at a point when capacity in the stadium has been reached on a regular basis plus anticipated demand (flagged by repeated seasons with a ST waiting list) indicates ongoing demand....then extending would be worthwhile. Even if demand went down the stand would still be an asset and not too expensive to mothball and be ready for an upturn in numbers. I'm presuming that investing in fixed assets such as a stadium extension does not come under FFP which might make any decision to extend easier. For the immediate future, the current capacity of CCS meets the club's needs.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Any decision on when (if) to expand would be down to the number crunchers. Building an extension to, say, Canton stand would have to be at a point when capacity in the stadium has been reached on a regular basis plus anticipated demand (flagged by repeated seasons with a ST waiting list) indicates ongoing demand....then extending would be worthwhile. Even if demand went down the stand would still be an asset and not too expensive to mothball and be ready for an upturn in numbers. I'm presuming that investing in fixed assets such as a stadium extension does not come under FFP which might make any decision to extend easier. For the immediate future, the current capacity of CCS meets the club's needs.
    Exactly. There is no guaranteed best time to expand. So you expand and take a risk, or you don't, and lose out on potential future fans. Either way, someone will moan.

Meanwhile....have the club stopped selling STs? Nothing coming up on eticketing. Updating the website maybe?

Loads left yesterday.

Couple in each block more or less, plus 600 Ish in the Ninian Upper

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Loads left yesterday.

Couple in each block more or less, plus 600 Ish in the Ninian Upper
    Back on sale now. The ST link on eticketing disappeared for 24 hours. The musical chairs of season ticket sales continues.

Our grounds too big for us , we are not a big club , that new extension was daft