+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: So have we sold out of season tickets then ?

Re: So have we sold out of season tickets then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Sure I read we were given a grant of £1m for it, whether it wa UEFA or something like The Football Trust I don’t know. They certainly didn’t pay all of it as the club had to write half of the cost down in the accounts when it was shut with the effect of reducing profit ( or more likely increasing loss by £5-6m)
    Well in that case they should have said thanks but no thanks. It was a nonsensical decision at the time to add another tier to our stadium and the fact it will be full next season doesn't change that.

I trust Tan has learnt from his mistake and wont be making our ground bigger any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozoni Wam View Post
    Well in that case they should have said thanks but no thanks. It was a nonsensical decision at the time to add another tier to our stadium and the fact it will be full next season doesn't change that.

I trust Tan has learnt from his mistake and wont be making our ground bigger any time soon.
    Seen a lot of similar comments.

The decision was made while we were still in the Prem and had a large waiting list for season tickets.

It would have been filled if we stayed up and even after going down a few thousand season tickets were sold in there - although admittedly they may we’ll have ended up in other parts of the ground.

Since then our attendances dropped dramatically, but the club weren’t to know that.

It was instrumental in our getting the Wales games, and also I thought the Super Cup had to have a 30k ground, so I would expect it’s already paid back a few million.

We’ve also used it on many occasions since - probably allowing another 30/50k to see the club play - a few hundred thousand pounds more into the clubs coffers

Next season it will be worth something in the rand of £3m for the club in ticket sales and commercial revenue so well on its way to paying for itself.

If we stay up one season, or are in with a chance of staying up and sell season tickets in Jan/Feb for next year then it’ll be near to breaking even.

The stand will be there for up to 100 years creating income every time it’s used.

It was a great long term investment for the club and I bet plenty of other teams who have graced the Premiership recently wish that they had been able to do similar.

The decision was made while we were still in the Prem and had a large waiting list for season tickets.

It would have been filled if we stayed up and even after going down a few thousand season tickets were sold in there - although admittedly they may we’ll have ended up in other parts of the ground.

Since then our attendances dropped dramatically, but the club weren’t to know that.

It was instrumental in our getting the Wales games, and also I thought the Super Cup had to have a 30k ground, so I would expect it’s already paid back a few million.

We’ve also used it on many occasions since - probably allowing another 30/50k to see the club play - a few hundred thousand pounds more into the clubs coffers

Next season it will be worth something in the rand of £3m for the club in ticket sales and commercial revenue so well on its way to paying for itself.

If we stay up one season, or are in with a chance of staying up and sell season tickets in Jan/Feb for next year then it’ll be near to breaking even.

The stand will be there for up to 100 years creating income every time it’s used.

It was a great long term investment for the club and I bet plenty of other teams who have graced the Premiership recently wish that they had been able to do similar.
    Although I would add that given that we haven’t sold out season tickets for next year and that we are also favourites to go down it wouldn’t make much sense to add to our capacity at the moment

I’m sure building costs would have risen since it’s original outlay too.

How can you say it was a nonsensical decision when they’ve built an extra revenue stream at a lower cost?

How can it being full this season not change it? It would have made the club 100s of thousands.

Ok deep breath.

We had been a premier league club for all of 5 minutes and already we were going ahead with a major ground expansion even though we still hadnt proved that we could fill our existing ground yet on a regular basis. Dont you think that was just a little premature?

We could probably fill a 40k seater stadium at this level, but does that mean we should just go ahead and stick two more tiers behind the goals right now? Of course not. It would be asking for trouble right?

The rebrand was doomed to fail, it was only a matter of time before the fans started voting with their feet. Everyone could see it coming, everyone except VT that is.

Wales would have used our stadium for the majority of their matches anyway as the only realistic alternative was the much smaller Liberty stadium. I dont think Tan is charging Wales much rent to use the stadium either so the arrangment is probably benefiting them alot more than it is the club in all honestly. As for the Super Cup, between 1998 and 2014 it had always been played at stadiums with sub 25k capacities and continues to be played at smaller venues to this day so I very much doubt their was any requirement to build an extra tier and if there was the club should have politely told Platini to go F*** himself.

And that makes up for all of the times we have had to play in a half empty stadium recently? Lets be honest its done more harm than good up till now. I mean we have only needed it (and by 'needed' I mean had an attendance of 28k+) a handful of times so far.

Good, its about time it started paying its way.

Indeed, I just hope it gets used alot more than it has done so far.

I like Tan but I think you are giving him way too much credit here sorry. He got lucky IMO. Pure and simple. He picked the worst possible time to expand our stadium and somehow got away with it. Now all he needs to do is get rid of those horrible red seats/stickmen ayatollah things and I too will declare it a very worthy addition to our stadium.
    And breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    How can you say it was a nonsensical decision when they’ve built an extra revenue stream at a lower cost?

How can it being full this season not change it? It would have made the club 100s of thousands.
    Its not the expansion itself I have a problem with, its the timing of the expansion. It was all wrong. We were making our stadium bigger at a time when the club was tearing itself to shreds. It was surreal to see that stand going up at the same time.

Yeah but it was basically free and is a huge asset you don't turn stuff like that down.

I'd hardly call £12m 'free' but yeah whatever. God is our stadium ugly though. Shame we will never see it as it was intended now. Would have looked really smart if they had completed that second tier.

Anyway hadnt we better get back on topic?

I'd hardly call £12m 'free' but yeah whatever. God is our stadium ugly though. Shame we will never see it as it was intended now. Would have looked really smart if they had completed that second tier.

Anyway hadnt we better get back on topic?
    5 pages later.....the answer is "No"!
    15 seats left in the Canton (+28 in the corner, 108/9) and 25 in Ninian 117. Plenty upstairs including that hard to sell/one left over in 512.

Stay strong my friend. This may not be the final page. It is not even the beginning of the final page. But it is, perhaps, the final page of the beginning.

If it looks like we are staying up come March, we should commence with the construction of a new end. Strike when the iron is hot. As has been mentioned, the second tier on the Ninian pays for itself if it is sold out for 3 to 4 seasons. With construction costs increasing all the time, we would be foolish not to make the most of this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangetownLurker View Post
    If it looks like we are staying up come March, we should commence with the construction of a new end. Strike when the iron is hot. As has been mentioned, the second tier on the Ninian pays for itself if it is sold out for 3 to 4 seasons. With construction costs increasing all the time, we would be foolish not to make the most of this opportunity.
    Yeah because our stadium wasn't empty enough in the championship last time around was it.

Yeah because our stadium wasn't empty enough in the championship last time around was it.
    The upper tier has for much of the time been a ‘white elephant’. However it does seem unlikely that the Wales matches would have been played there without it and certainly the Euro final would not have happened nor the record crowds at the end of last season.
    And now we are in a better place than if we didn’t have it. The decision to build has proven the right one.

Getting more fans in is a better alternative than asking a smaller crowd to pay more.

We might not be ready for a new stand yet but at some point the Directors will hopefully feel that more capacity despite the risk is worthwhile.

If every decision was based on expected failure we would never progress.

Although I would add that given that we haven’t sold out season tickets for next year and that we are also favourites to go down it wouldn’t make much sense to add to our capacity at the moment
    The real money spinner for the club is the corporate area anyway in the Upper Ninian. This has just been upgraded.

we shouldn't be making it bigger to suit them and if that was the reason behind it then the club need shooting as the club have been playing in a half empty stadium ever since!
    It was almost as bad as playing in a 3/4 empty Ninian Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    It was almost as bad as playing in a 3/4 empty Ninian Park.

A club needs to expand its capacity in order to attract new supporters. Its all very well waiting to ensure we stay up, but if we do stay up, we are losing an income stream. If we go down, those extra seats are there for next time we come up, so are an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    The upper tier has for much of the time been a ‘white elephant’. However it does seem unlikely that the Wales matches would have been played there without it and certainly the Euro final would not have happened nor the record crowds at the end of last season.
    And now we are in a better place than if we didn’t have it. The decision to build has proven the right one.

Getting more fans in is a better alternative than asking a smaller crowd to pay more.

We might not be ready for a new stand yet but at some point the Directors will hopefully feel that more capacity despite the risk is worthwhile.

What Euro final? If you mean the Super Cup I have already debunked that myth. This years super cup is being played in Estonia. Would you like to know what the capacity is? 15000! So much for us needed an extra tier to hold it. And where else are Wales going to play their matches? You are not seriously suggesting that we would have gone back to the millennium but for that one extra tier are you? Some people on here would rather us play our matches in Outer Mongolia than go back there!

And you talk about smaller crowds, well we have had to get used to plenty of those in the last 4 years havent we? People have been complaining about our attendances on here for months and you want us to make our stadium even bigger? Cmon!

Look, we have to be realistic. How many years have we had at the highest level in the last 50 years? I will give you a clue, you can count them on one hand. We have spent the bulk of the last 50 years in the bottom 3 divisions. So if you are a club like us you DONT build a stadium just for the premier league, it also has to be suitable for the championship as well. If we go ahead and expand our stadium to 40k we will HAVE to be a premier league to come even close to filling it, otherwise we will be playing in a half empty stadium. Do you want that? Surely it would be better to have a FULL stadium every week rather than be rattling around in a stadium thats way too big for us?

Listen, nobody - and I mean nobody - wants our stadium to get bigger more than me. Why do you think I went though all the trouble of trying to work out how much our stadium would hold if it was ever 'completed'? I bought into the dream that Sam Hammam sold us all those years ago and there is still a part of me that wont let go of it. I want us to be a BIG club and I still believe we can be one.

But we're not. We are a medium sized club at best right now and have a medium sized stadium as a result and if we want a bigger stadium we have to EARN the right to make it bigger. So lets at least see if we can at least fill our current ground for a season or two first shall we and then we can start to think about making it a little bit bigger.

...we are averaging 16 season tickets a day right now incidentally, if anyone's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

As it happens the Top Ninian stand will be a blessing in disguise this season with the extra capacity - I bet the Jacks wish they had expanded in the 7 years in the EPL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    As it happens the Top Ninian stand will be a blessing in disguise this season with the extra capacity - I bet the Jacks wish they had expanded in the 7 years in the EPL
    They would have done if they had the chance and it would have been understandable in their case. They have been selling out their ground for years at that level. They should still do it now IMO if they are serious about getting back into the PREM.

What Euro final? If you mean the Super Cup I have already debunked that myth. This years super cup is being played in Estonia. Would you like to know what the capacity is? 15000! So much for us needed an extra tier to hold it. And where else are Wales going to play their matches? You are not seriously suggesting that we would have gone back to the millennium but for that one extra tier are you? Some people on here would rather us play our matches in Outer Mongolia than go back there!

And you talk about smaller crowds, well we have had to get used to plenty of those in the last 4 years havent we? People have been complaining about our attendances on here for months and you want us to make our stadium even bigger? Cmon!

Look, we have to be realistic. How many years have we had at the highest level in the last 50 years? I will give you a clue, you can count them on one hand. We have spent the bulk of the last 50 years in the bottom 3 divisions. So if you are a club like us you DONT build a stadium just for the premier league, it also has to be suitable for the championship as well. If we go ahead and expand our stadium to 40k we will HAVE to be a premier league to come even close to filling it, otherwise we will be playing in a half empty stadium. Do you want that? Surely it would be better to have a FULL stadium every week rather than be rattling around in a stadium thats way too big for us?

Listen, nobody - and I mean nobody - wants our stadium to get bigger more than me. Why do you think I went though all the trouble of trying to work out how much our stadium would hold if it was ever 'completed'? I bought into the dream that Sam Hammam sold us all those years ago and there is still a part of me that wont let go of it. I want us to be a BIG club and I still believe we can be one.

But we're not. We are a medium sized club at best right now and have a medium sized stadium as a result and if we want a bigger stadium we have to EARN the right to make it bigger. So lets at least see if we can at least fill our current ground for a season or two first shall we and then we can start to think about making it a little bit bigger.

...we are averaging 16 season tickets a day right now incidentally, if anyone's interested.

After the safety of sports ground Act 1977 ordered Cardiff to cut its capacity to 10,000,do you think it was then a waste to upgrade the stadium to 46,000 a year or so later when our crowds were 15-20,000 at best ?

On a separate note, I hope they intend to spruce up those Lego panels around the ground, not sure what they are made of but even plastic or Perspex would look better. The grey ish coloured ones look particularly shite.

Not really kept up with this but just looking at eticketing, I’m assuming the end blocks of the upper Ninian are the ones that are kept for match by match tickets? If so then we are just a few hundred away from selling out ST’s ? If that were the case then I would have expected the club to put out a “nearly sold out, get them while you can” to shift the remaining ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    After the safety of sports ground Act 1977 ordered Cardiff to cut its capacity to 10,000,do you think it was then a waste to upgrade the stadium to 46,000 a year or so later when our crowds were 15-20,000 at best ?
    I wasnt alive back then so I am in no position to judge. However, since grounds back then were mostly full of terracing I imagine you could probably get away with attendances of 20,000 in a 40,000 capacity stadium (people would just spread out more to fill the spaces).

20,000 in a 40,000 SEATER stadium looks freaking awful.