Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
I agree that next season is going to be very difficult, as would the season after if we survived but the point I was making, in reply to your post particularly, was that if we stayed in the Premier League for a long length of time (say five years plus) then our outlook and goals would alter considerably, as we would then be an established Prem side and would have at least another £500m in the bank. Why couldnt we then compete in the top eight and try to get into Europe ?. Thats the whole point of supporting a club isnt it ?. To see them improve and compete at a higher level. Its almost as if some people want them to fail in the next couple of seasons and go back down. After all teams like Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City havent always been top level clubs have they - they started at lower levels and built up over many years. In my football memory, Man City were in the third tier and Man Utd in the second tier. Liverpool were in the second tier in the fifties/early sixties. I bet their fans aren't longing for a return to the Championship, so that they can 'enjoy' their football again !!.

I am realistic about our chances next year and thereafter but that doesnt stop me dreaming about success. Thats why I follow City.
Doubt if we’d have £500 million in the bank, transfer fees & wages would see to that. Villa were in the top flight for years, they’d love to have £5 million in the bank at the moment. We’d need the generate income outside of the tv riches. That’s what sets the top 5/6 apart, the money seems to be rolling in to them left, right & centre & the tv money is a nice bonus.