Ok deep breath.

Seen a lot of similar comments.

The decision was made while we were still in the Prem and had a large waiting list for season tickets.

We had been a premier league club for all of 5 minutes and already we were going ahead with a major ground expansion even though we still hadnt proved that we could fill our existing ground yet on a regular basis. Dont you think that was just a little premature?

It would have been filled if we stayed up and even after going down a few thousand season tickets were sold in there - although admittedly they may we’ll have ended up in other parts of the ground.

We could probably fill a 40k seater stadium at this level, but does that mean we should just go ahead and stick two more tiers behind the goals right now? Of course not. It would be asking for trouble right?

Since then our attendances dropped dramatically, but the club weren’t to know that.

The rebrand was doomed to fail, it was only a matter of time before the fans started voting with their feet. Everyone could see it coming, everyone except VT that is.

It was instrumental in our getting the Wales games, and also I thought the Super Cup had to have a 30k ground, so I would expect it’s already paid back a few million.

Wales would have used our stadium for the majority of their matches anyway as the only realistic alternative was the much smaller Liberty stadium. I dont think Tan is charging Wales much rent to use the stadium either so the arrangment is probably benefiting them alot more than it is the club in all honestly. As for the Super Cup, between 1998 and 2014 it had always been played at stadiums with sub 25k capacities and continues to be played at smaller venues to this day so I very much doubt their was any requirement to build an extra tier and if there was the club should have politely told Platini to go F*** himself.

We’ve also used it on many occasions since - probably allowing another 30/50k to see the club play - a few hundred thousand pounds more into the clubs coffers

And that makes up for all of the times we have had to play in a half empty stadium recently? Lets be honest its done more harm than good up till now. I mean we have only needed it (and by 'needed' I mean had an attendance of 28k+) a handful of times so far.

Next season it will be worth something in the rand of £3m for the club in ticket sales and commercial revenue so well on its way to paying for itself.
If we stay up one season, or are in with a chance of staying up and sell season tickets in Jan/Feb for next year then it’ll be near to breaking even.

Good, its about time it started paying its way.

The stand will be there for up to 100 years creating income every time it’s used.

Indeed, I just hope it gets used alot more than it has done so far.

It was a great long term investment for the club and I bet plenty of other teams who have graced the Premiership recently wish that they had been able to do similar.

I like Tan but I think you are giving him way too much credit here sorry. He got lucky IMO. Pure and simple. He picked the worst possible time to expand our stadium and somehow got away with it. Now all he needs to do is get rid of those horrible red seats/stickmen ayatollah things and I too will declare it a very worthy addition to our stadium.
And breath.