+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: When you’re pet passes on

When you’re pet passes on

First time as an adult that I’ve had a pet . She’s a dog and is suffering from congenital kidney disease. Sad thing is she’s only 2 and half years old.

Over the last few days she’s gradually been losing control of all bodily functions. Vet gave us pills to supress vomiting so we could get some food in her but she seems to be going from bad to worse.

It’s looking like tomorrow will be the day and it’s the most gut wrenching thing I have had to do.

Re: When you’re pet passes on

Sorry to hear of your very upsetting situation, DW. At least you know that you are going to end her suffering. Small comfort, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    First time as an adult that I’ve had a pet . She’s a dog and is suffering from congenital kidney disease. Sad thing is she’s only 2 and half years old.

Over the last few days she’s gradually been losing control of all bodily functions. Vet gave us pills to supress vomiting so we could get some food in her but she seems to be going from bad to worse.

It’s looking like tomorrow will be the day and it’s the most gut wrenching thing I have had to do.
    With you mate. My dog who was 8 died last Friday, he had a heart condition,I was up with him all of the Thursday night, he couldn't settle, sleep or lie down, in some serious distress. I made an appointment fist thing for the vet, the best they could do was 3pm, his breathing was getting worse and he was deteriorating. At about 2.30 pm I picked him up to say goodbye, he let out a little whimper and took his last breaths in my arms. I'm not an emotional bloke, I try not to be, but it was very sad, although comforting for both of us-I think-If your poor dog is unwell and suffering, it's the right thing to do. I know it feels awful as they're a part of the family, but your dog wouldn't want to be like that mate. I know this sounds clinical, but just do it, don't over think it or hesitate, you're doing the right thing for him or her, because you love 'em. Be kind to yourself over the coming days, remember the good times you had with your dog-good luck mate.

Sorry

When we take pets on, they become part of the family, We try our best to provide the best life we can for them, sometimes the hard decision is the right one, I used to show dogs and have seen many loved pets go over the rainbow bridge, People have broken down when they have told us the news most people say the best thing is to stay with the dog till the end, you will find it hard, but the dog will pass with you next to him / her, just as the dog would want it

be strong and brave, good luck

Sorry for your pain. I prefer not to think of 'that' day.

Had a cat who was 23 years old, his kidneys had packed in (amongst other things) had to have him put down, never been so upset, didn't realise i could cry out of my nose and ears. It's a awful thing to go through, when you're ready, get another dog. Sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    Had a cat who was 23 years old, his kidneys had packed in (amongst other things) had to have him put down, never been so upset, didn't realise i could cry out of my nose and ears. It's a awful thing to go through, when you're ready, get another dog. Sympathies.
    Same here, had to put down my cat of 18 years in November last year.
    Horrible feeling and the OP has my sympathy.
    Animals really do become part of the family.

My lost cat will be three this month, so the ages are similar, but what the OP faces and what I have gone through with Felix are miles apart - even in ten years time, I'll still have that faint hope that he could come back or that he is having a great life with someone who has taken him in, but it's all so final for the OP and, from reading what he says, I think he knows that she has reached the point of no return.
    Hopefully, she will start feeling better and will be able to prolong her life, but all I can say is that, in my experience, you instinctively know when it's time to let go of your pet - usually though, they have had lived a full and happy life, the OP, and Tuerto, have my full sympathy because that is is not the case with their pets, two and a half is barely out of puppyhood.
    My reaction to the loss of a pet is to want to replace it quickly (even though I had my two cats at the time, I was surprised by how testing I found the three months between my last dog being put to sleep and getting my new puppy turned out to be), but everyone is different and there is no right or wrong thing to do when you have lost one - the OP should do what he and his family think best and, either way, I wish them all the best over the coming days and weeks.

Sad to hear - but you are doing the humane thing. I won't have any more pets because they will break your heart in the end. I find it too traumatic.

Sorry to hear this. I know exactly what youre going through. Pets, dogs especially give so much trust and affection to us. My last dog was put to sleep 2yrs ago. I was with the vet when the injection was done, was heartbreaking and i cried for 2 days. The house was so quiet without her around so after a few weeks when i was up to it, i got another. I would definately recommend rescue dogs and crossbreeds too.

Losing a pet, in our case a dog, can sometimes be worse than losing friends or family.

Your pet is with you everyday and always looks for love and attention.

We had to make the decision to end Sheba's suffering, but we both cried our hearts out.

Couldn't go through that again, I feel for you.

Have you ever read that thing that says to dogs, we are like the elves in lord of the rings, they get old but to them we barely age .
    I guess if you'd lived your entire lives with 5000 year old elves who looked after you and made our life good in every possible way they could then you'd feel like you'd had a pretty lucky life

I don't have a pet at the moment but this is a dreadfully sad thread regardless. May you all keep your memories close.

You have my sympathies I still remember we had to put our 18 year jack Russell down couldn’t stop crying for 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Sad to hear - but you are doing the humane thing. I won't have any more pets because they will break your heart in the end. I find it too traumatic.

They say it's better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all. However, I'm in agreement with you - we have two beautiful but ageing dogs, I torment myself by constantly thinking of the moment when one of them finally passes away. I don't know how I will cope when that situation arises, the love and affection they show towards our family is unconditional. I won't be getting another dog, for the same reasons as you ... just too heartbreaking.

SuperBluebirds91

Sorry to hear you about your poorly dog mate. It's heartbreaking whatever age they are when you lose them but try to remember the good times that you have shared with her. She will know that you loved her very much and have given her a loving home.
    We've lost quite a few pets over the years and it never seems to get any easier as they are a big part of the family. Sometimes it's just the kindest thing you can do for her especially when they are unwell - although it's just so devastating. Will be thinking about you and her and if you need to chat, please dont hesitate to PM or add to this post etc.

You’re a nice bunch fairplay.

Vet has insisted that we give her fluid therapy. We were completely torn as seeing her staggering and barely being able to open her eyes was torture . She was also crated and given IV which seems like puttting her through unnecessary stress.

That said, the vet insisted that if it were her dog she’d put her on fluid therapy and in the professionals we must trust I suppose.

My gf’s mother is a sheep vet so she’ll be given the injection at home thankfully. I don’t know why doctors and vets clinics have to be so unwelcoming and uncomfortable. She’s gonna be crated overnight and through the day for 24/48 hrs.

Poor thing. Just hoping it’s all worth it.

Yet to reach nose+ear crying. Has been some eye stuff though....they’ll have to stick me in the crate and hook me up at this rate.

You’re a nice bunch fairplay.

Vet has insisted that we give her fluid therapy. We were completely torn as seeing her staggering and barely being able to open her eyes was torture . She was also crated and given IV which seems like puttting her through unnecessary stress.

That said, the vet insisted that if it were her dog she’d put her on fluid therapy and in the professionals we must trust I suppose.

My gf’s mother is a sheep vet so she’ll be given the injection at home thankfully. I don’t know why doctors and vets clinics have to be so unwelcoming and uncomfortable. She’s gonna be crated overnight and through the day for 24/48 hrs.

Poor thing. Just hoping it’s all worth it.

Yet to reach nose+ear crying. Has been some eye stuff though....they’ll have to stick me in the crate and hook me up at this rate.

Fingers crossed for you. Your dog is so young. It hardly seems fair. Our cockatoo is five and loving and loyal. It will break my heart when we lose her

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My lost cat will be three this month, so the ages are similar, but what the OP faces and what I have gone through with Felix are miles apart - even in ten years time, I'll still have that faint hope that he could come back or that he is having a great life with someone who has taken him in, but it's all so final for the OP and, from reading what he says, I think he knows that she has reached the point of no return.
    Hopefully, she will start feeling better and will be able to prolong her life, but all I can say is that, in my experience, you instinctively know when it's time to let go of your pet - usually though, they have had lived a full and happy life, the OP, and Tuerto, have my full sympathy because that is is not the case with their pets, two and a half is barely out of puppyhood.
    My reaction to the loss of a pet is to want to replace it quickly (even though I had my two cats at the time, I was surprised by how testing I found the three months between my last dog being put to sleep and getting my new puppy turned out to be), but everyone is different and there is no right or wrong thing to do when you have lost one - the OP should do what he and his family think best and, either way, I wish them all the best over the coming days and weeks.
    A long time ago I had a cat that went missing, 3 or 4 years had gone by so I was not expecting her to come back then I got up one morning and she was sat outside the window, she had a collar and name tag on and it turned out that she had got a bit lost and moved in with a family a few streets away and had been very well looked after.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    A long time ago I had a cat that went missing, 3 or 4 years had gone by so I was not expecting her to come back then I got up one morning and she was sat outside the window, she had a collar and name tag on and it turned out that she had got a bit lost and moved in with a family a few streets away and had been very well looked after.
    Really, I've heard a few similar stories in the last month or two, but three or four years is more than double most of them! Felix wasn't wearing a collar or anything, but he does have a chip with my new address on it. However, the nearest vet is miles away and so I think it's more likely someone would take him in than us getting him back.
    That's the problem with Felix, he didn't know the area, I kept in the house for a fortnight after I moved, but he went missing within about four or five days of me thinking it was safe to let him wander a bit. His mother, who is sat by the side of me now, was the one I was concerned about before the move and yet, if anything, she is more relaxed up here than she was in Cardiff and she knows the area well enough now for me to have no worries about her if she disappears for a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Really, I've heard a few similar stories in the last month or two, but three or four years is more than double most of them! Felix wasn't wearing a collar or anything, but he does have a chip with my new address on it. However, the nearest vet is miles away and so I think it's more likely someone would take him in than us getting him back.
    That's the problem with Felix, he didn't know the area, I kept in the house for a fortnight after I moved, but he went missing within about four or five days of me thinking it was safe to let him wander a bit. His mother, who is sat by the side of me now, was the one I was concerned about before the move and yet, if anything, she is more relaxed up here than she was in Cardiff and she knows the area well enough now for me to have no worries about her if she disappears for a few hours
    I lost my cat Piggy 14 years ago and I still miss him.

My current cat doesn’t really go out but I do usually let him out in the morning BEFORE his food.

If you let a cat out before their food they tend to only be out for about an hour maximum.