+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question for the Beer, Lager, Cider drinkers.

A Question for the Beer, Lager, Cider drinkers.

When I used to drink, I can remember mates or people we were out with saying that they couldn't drink certain drinks as it had an 'affect' on their behaviour, character, or would cause almighty hangovers.

Now, not being a heavy drinker, I can't really say that I ever noticed or experienced this kind of thing, I could certainly differentiate between the taste, although the affect was pretty much the same whatever I drank.

A few examples-A bloke I know was banned from drinking cider in his local due to him turning into a maniac after a few pints, no such problem with Lager.

Stella would cause horrific hangovers, my mate reckoned that if he drank enough of it, he's be steaming pissed, but couldn't sleep.

Red Stripe-Loopy juice.

Caffreys-Mother of all hangovers.

Is it bullshit? Urban Myth stuff? Or, is the way a drink is brewed, the additives, ingredients etc instrumental in turning a normal person into a complete menace, even if those drinks are roughly the same strength? C'mon, 'Let's be 'avin you'

Re: A Question for the Beer, Lager, Cider drinkers.

I have a mate who is quite placid when drinking unless it's cider. And down here in Somerset it's real cider and not the alcopops stuff.

there was a drink called hurlimans which was a very strong lager that a drank when i was about 18 for a while . used to bring the bad out of me . ended up in the gutter one night after a sess on that never touched the stuff again

do they still sell hurlimans these days ?

Back in 1978 the chapter arts in canton started selling Merrydown cider, the only bar in Cardiff to do so at that time. Word got around that four pints of this stuff got you steaming, we went there one Friday night in the summer and we were stepping over bodies to get in and it was only 7.30 pm. The police made them stop selling it as they were pissed off at being called there every two minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    there was a drink called hurlimans which was a very strong lager that a drank when i was about 18 for a while . used to bring the bad out of me . ended up in the gutter one night after a sess on that never touched the stuff again

I remember some people renamed hurlimans 'hooligans' because it made blokes go nutty.

I remember that, used to call it 'Hooligans' I can also remember a beer called Faust? sounds ****ing disgusting, although I never did sample it. Remember Labatts, that used to be popular late eighties early nineties.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    When I used to drink, I can remember mates or people we were out with saying that they couldn't drink certain drinks as it had an 'affect' on their behaviour, character, or would cause almighty hangovers.

Now, not being a heavy drinker, I can't really say that I ever noticed or experienced this kind of thing, I could certainly differentiate between the taste, although the affect was pretty much the same whatever I drank.

A few examples-A bloke I know was banned from drinking cider in his local due to him turning into a maniac after a few pints, no such problem with Lager.

Stella would cause horrific hangovers, my mate reckoned that if he drank enough of it, he's be steaming pissed, but couldn't sleep.

Red Stripe-Loopy juice.

Is it bullshit? Urban Myth stuff? Or, is the way a drink is brewed, the additives, ingredients etc instrumental in turning a normal person into a complete menace, even if those drinks are roughly the same strength? C'mon, 'Let's be 'avin you'
    Copious amounts of cider does have an affect on me and not in a good way so I would tend to just have one or two with ice on a hot day.

These days I prefer to drink bitter as the feeling like crap the next day is far less worse than any cider or lagers.

Caffreys I liked, but Kilkenny was better.
    Bit stronger than your bitter, SA and The like but a "happy", not depressed feeling, after 3 or 4 pints.
    Haven't seen it for a while though.

Anyone remember Hürlimanns? Swiss lager I think it was.
    Three pints of that and you were finished!
    Not sure of the accuracy of this but I heard that Brains pulled the plug on Hürlimanns, dubbed hooligans, as it's abv content was the root of a rise in trouble in their public houses.

I remember that, used to call it 'Hooligans' I can also remember a beer called Faust? sounds ****ing disgusting, although I never did sample it. Remember Labatts, that used to be popular late eighties early nineties.
    Brains brought Faust and Labbatts into their pubs, I had a tee shirt with 'I'm a friend of Faust' on it, got it at the launch night for Faust back in the eighties, disgusting pint it was.

Thats insane.... see my post, virtually the same

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Copious amounts of cider does have an affect on me and not in a good way so I would tend to just have one or two with ice on a hot day.

These days I prefer to drink bitter as the feeling like crap the next day is far less worse than any cider or lagers.

Caffreys I liked, but Kilkenny was better.
    Bit stronger than your bitter, SA and The like but a "happy", not depressed feeling, after 3 or 4 pints.
    Haven't seen it for a while though.

Anyone remember Hürlimanns? Swiss lager I think it was.
    Three pints of that and you were finished!
    Not sure of the accuracy of this but I heard that Brains pulled the plug on Hürlimanns, dubbed hooligans, as it's abv content was the root of a rise in trouble in their public houses.
    Judging by the replies, Hurlimanns must have had a serious affect! I was told the same thing about Caffreys, didn't they have an advertising campaign that focused on the abv content being lowered? it was a piece of piss to drink, but caused serious hangovers-apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Brains brought Faust and Labbatts into their pubs, I had a tee shirt with 'I'm a friend of Faust' on it, got it at the launch night for Faust back in the eighties, disgusting pint it was.
    Labbatts ice was a decent drink

talking to T-shirts, i had a " hug me i am drink Labbett ice " one, got it from a launch in town one night

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have a mate who is quite placid when drinking unless it's cider. And down here in Somerset it's real cider and not the alcopops stuff.
    My mate used to go beetroot coloured after drinking cider, and he turned into a right nasty bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Labbatts ice was a decent drink

talking to T-shirts, i had a " hug me i am drink Labbett ice " one, got it from a launch in town one night
    Guessing that was the late eighties? wouldn't have to wear a T-shirt asking for a hug these days, every ****er is at it!

Red Stripe-Loopy juice.

When we were in Serbia last year we were knocking back 10, 12, 15 pints of their local lager and it was 5%, none of us had a hangover and the locals told us it was because they didn't put any shite or additives in the lager.

Red Stripe-Loopy juice.

Caffreys was made weaker a couple of years after it was launched, it was a real handful causing horrific hangovers. Same with Carling premier, I'm sure it has something to do with the gas that makes it so smooth, causing the hangovers.

Late 80's/early 90's K cider used to make me go loopy, trouble is I used to love it, the drink that is.

Judging by the replies, Hurlimanns must have had a serious affect! I was told the same thing about Caffreys, didn't they have an advertising campaign that focused on the abv content being lowered? it was a piece of piss to drink, but caused serious hangovers-apparently!
    Yeah, that's the thing with strong bitters. There is no gas like cider or lager (which burns when you knock it back) and it slips down nicely, too nicely.

I remember brains SA being the one everyone said to steer clear of but it's only about 3.9 or maybe 4%. Caffreys was about 5.

Yeah, that's the thing with strong bitters. There is no gas like cider or lager (which burns when you knock it back) and it slips down nicely, too nicely.

I remember brains SA being the one everyone said to.steer clear of but it's only about 3.9 or maybe 4%. Caffreys was about 5.
    Blokes used to say that SA stood for Skull Attack.

The last time I saw Hurlimans was in Clwb Ifor Bach and it was pretty lethal stuff. The one that really used to mess me about was red stripe. Also Newcastle Brown, which was ok as long as you only drunk it alone. Combine it with a couple of ciders or lagers and you get the headache from hell.

I remember brains SA being the one everyone said to steer clear of but it's only about 3.9 or maybe 4%. Caffreys was about 5.
    I was a sales director at Bass Brewers when Caffreys and Carling Premier were launched. They were both originally 4.8% and were both mixed with Nitrogen rather than CO2 which is why they were creamy and not fizzy. Caffreys did have a headache hangover effect but that was because of its easy drinkability. We reduced the ABV to 4.4% same as Draught Bass (what a great drink that was), and the brand slowly started to decline. It eventually dropped to 3.8% but my guess is that was likely more about the parent company saving tax than it was about the beer quality.

The IPA craft beers of today (in North America anyway) are much higher in ABV averaging 6 to 7%. 3 or 4 pints of those beauties has you in a mess very quickly

I can't drink cider, not that it turns me into a psycho but it was the first drink that ever caused me to spew my guts up at 15. Since then I can barely even smell the stuff without feeling sick.

Never was much of a lager drinker, but I can remember having a pint of hooligans and thinking it was awful - sorry, there was no way I was ever going to touch a drink called Faust! From memory, SA (skull attack) was only 4.2 ABV wasn't it? I went through a phase of drinking it in my late teens when I thought it was cool to drink something as strong, but I soon graduated on to Brains Light and that was my tipple for thirty odd years before I knocked drinking on the head about six years ago - you can always count the number of pints I have a year these days on the fingers of one hand, but they are still bitters with a pretty low ABV.
    I used to like cider by way of a change, especially in summer, but a Friday night disco at Companies House in about 1980 where I decided to stick on the Strongbow all night after the pub we met up in beforehand didn't have a beer I liked, put me off that stuff for life - I was still suffering from the hangover during my lunch break from work on the following Monday!

Caffreys was one of the very few strong beers I liked, but I'd always limit myself to a couple of pints of it at the start of the night and then go on to something weaker - I was quite excited when they lowered the ABV because I thought it meant I could stick on it all night, but it never tasted the same to me and I soon stopped drinking it completely.

Agree about Hurlimans. Used to drink it in the 80’s when I played skittles so it was almost all in Brains pubs.

I could manage 3 pints and went home with some supper and still talking to my girlfriend. If I had four pints I was a total shit and argued like hell over nothing upsetting her in the process.

I drank Stella for years (before they reduced it to 4.8) before realising it made me feel terrible most days and it tasted funny.

Caffreys and Carling Premier were nice drinks. I think I saw Premier on draught in the Kings Head in Canton last season.

These days I prefer Heineken, Staropramen, San Miguel, Cobra, etc. A nice tasting 5% lager.

I've always been an ale drinker, although did dabble with the "Valleys Cocktail" of Cider and black for a short while when I was a kid. I tend to drink a particular ale because of the flavour rather than abv, and if not in the pub, will always drink bottled ale.

My top ale at the moment is Cwrw Ysgawen - Elderflower Ale, from the Purple Moose brewery in Porthmadog.

But I had a nice bottle of "Annwyl" last night, from Llantwit Major.
    Last edited by Harry Monk; 11-06-18 at 06:55. Reason: addition

One of the older fellars that goes to the club good as gold when he’s on the beer but when he has a couple of sips of that whiskey turns in to an evil **** and not helped by the fact he’s an hard ****