+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Butchers

Butchers

Does anyone buy their meat from the local butcher?

Is it a lot more expensive to do it that way?

Re: Butchers

Depends on the butcher. There are three in Whitchurch village, two of them are your award winning type and are pretty pricey but the other one, Parsons, is much more reasonably priced and I use him a fair bit for small stuff like chops, sausages etc. If I’m getting larger joints and so on, I use Bookers.

You will pay more at a local butcher, but the quality will also be better. I hardly ever buy supermarket meat any more.

International

I buy all my meat in the market from the same butcher I've been using for years.

The difference in eating quality between butchers and supermarket meat can be huge but you need to find a good butcher who you trust and build up a relationship with. You will normally pay more from a butcher for the same amount of meat as they don't have the economies of scale that a Supermarket does, but I find you usually recoup that by the better quality you get.

Supermarket meat is pumped full of water to give it extra weight, so you end up buying less meat than you intended. Just look at the difference when frying a supermarket pork chop compared to a butcher's pork chop. The amount of water in the pan from the former is staggering, you almost end up boiling the chop!

We have remained loyal to our local butcher for thirty years but in truth buy less from him now. Tends to be joints for roasting or mince meat.

Never bought meat from supermarkets but do now buy chicken breasts and braising steak from Costco. Great quality and value.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Supermarket meat is pumped full of water to give it extra weight, so you end up buying less meat than you intended. Just look at the difference when frying a supermarket pork chop compared to a butcher's pork chop. The amount of water in the pan from the former is staggering, you almost end up boiling the chop!
    This.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

The local markets have lots of meat on offer. Problem is you don’t what kind of meat it could be.

Water buffalo often finds its way onto a tray of ‘Australian’ beef and some of the items bear no resemblance to any animal I’ve ever seen. Dog meat also makes a regular appearance

I stick with chicken or fish/sea food. This way at least you stand a fair chance of eating something you can recognise

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    The local markets have lots of meat on offer. Problem is you don’t what kind of meat it could be.

Water buffalo often finds its way onto a tray of ‘Australian’ beef and some of the items bear no resemblance to any animal I’ve ever seen. Dog meat also makes a regular appearance

I stick with chicken or fish/sea food. This way at least you stand a fair chance of eating something you can recognise
    I've been buying direct from a farm lately. A whole lamb for £80. Compare that with the price of a half leg of lamb from a supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I've been buying direct from a farm lately. A whole lamb for £80. Compare that with the price of a half leg of lamb from a supermarket.
    Do you have to catch it first?

Do you have to catch it first?
    No, they have a dog to do that for you.

Apparently bullfrog (or similar) is sometimes sold as chicken in the far east, very difficult to tell the difference apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Apparently bullfrog (or similar) is sometimes sold as chicken in the far east, very difficult to tell the difference apparently

I’ve eaten all kinds and some quite tasty. But... as long as you don’t know don’t mind beforehand it’s all good

Like the time I ate smoked horses penis. At the time interesting taste flavor but a bit on the chewy side

Then somebody tells you later you’ve spent Sunday afternoon with a horses cock in your mouth

Difficult to retain your perspective after that

I’ve eaten all kinds and some quite tasty. But... as long as you don’t know don’t mind beforehand it’s all good

Like the time I ate smoked horses penis. At the time interesting taste flavor but a bit on the chewy side

Then somebody tells you later you’ve spent Sunday afternoon with a horses cock in your mouth

Difficult to retain your perspective after that