+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GDPR

GDPR

Apparently the new EU GDPR legislation has uncovered that the official la Liga app uses the device microphone to listen out for la Liga coverage and the phone GPS to work out if a bar is showing games without paying for the rights.

I wonder what else will come out of the woodwork over the coming weeks thanks to this.

Re: GDPR

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Apparently the new EU GDPR legislation has uncovered that the official la Liga app uses the device microphone to listen out for la Liga coverage and the phone GPS to work out if a bar is showing games without paying for the rights.

I wonder what else will come out of the woodwork over the coming weeks thanks to this.
    The evidence I have is purely anecdotal - but a few ads have popped up on my Facebook feed about things that I have discussed with friends - tyres being one. Could just be coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    The evidence I have is purely anecdotal - but a few ads have popped up on my Facebook feed about things that I have discussed with friends - tyres being one. Could just be coincidence.
    I've been working in the US for a couple of weeks. The guys there demonstrated the same thing on several occasions. We did it with a couple of European car makers (not common in US markets) and adverts / links appeared within a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I've been working in the US for a couple of weeks. The guys there demonstrated the same thing on several occasions. We did it with a couple of European car makers (not common in US markets) and adverts / links appeared within a couple of days.
    When you download many of these apps - the apps say that they will access things like camera and microphone. Many people assume that this is because you need to use the camera to take photos and/or the microphone to chat on Messenger. And, let's be honest, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear right?

To be fair I have heard a few stories like this, thought it was nonsense, then experienced it myself.

George Orwell was right

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    George Orwell was right
    Four legs good, two legs better.

These smart phones listen. I was watching Katherine Ryan the other night, and wanted to google where she was from, and types KA into google and she was the top suggestion. A mini wiki link appeared for her with her picture. Off KA. I’m sure it listens.

This is the reason you can download "free" games - they all Hoover up your data and sell as much as they can.
    Look at that HQ game - how can they give cash away regularly and have 8,000 pound games on a Sunday and not take money from players - surely their collecting data and making money that way?

I have had a few incidents with adverts popping up for stuff I have been talking about. The most obvious one recently was when I was in work. We were taling about a woman who left our team and we couldn't remember her name. Anyway eventually I remembered it and told the team. Two minutes later my phone pinged and amazingly she popped up as a friend suggestion on facebook. The another woman on the team got the same pop up on her phone. Coincidence? I don't think so!!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Four legs good, two legs better.

“If you want to keep a secret you must first hide it from yourself “

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    This is the reason you can download "free" games - they all Hoover up your data and sell as much as they can.
    Look at that HQ game - how can they give cash away regularly and have 8,000 pound games on a Sunday and not take money from players - surely their collecting data and making money that way?
    Quizzes are definitely prime candidates for this kind of thing. Loads of those quizzes you see people posting on Facebook are basically information gathering tools. Completely innocuous sounding questions can be secretly guessing your race, age, political leanings etc
    I remember reading in one article that a question which was something about detailed art was a 70% accurate predictor of whether you were left wing or right wing.
    And in another article which was on use of social media in the us election, the quizzes were used to guess political leanings and race etc and this coupled with links to stories designed specifically for that type of person.
    I.e. white old republican would get loads of trump is great stories
    A left leaning Hispanic person would get a load of stories about something terrible Hillary Clinton had done in a Hispanic country.
    And so on.

With all free apps, if you can't see the revenue stream, you are the revenue stream

I’ve always tried to be careful with what I download but I’ve definitely had instances of talking about something then seeing an advert for it almost immediately after.

Those quizzes and political leaning things have definitely and obviously been used for that too. I’ve always avoided them because of that.

It’s crazy the affect they could have (and have had) on democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    HQ aren't making money at the moment, they're VC funded. Lots of the big prize games now have sponsors though (there were quite a few sponsored by films, and then last week they were all sponsored by some mobile game)