+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Justin Kluivert

Justin Kluivert

Has just gone to Roma for €18 million. (Just under £16mill)

We need to improve our European scouting ASAP.
    Not saying for a second that we could have got him as we are clearly not going to be competing with the likes of Roma any time soon, bit it only goes to show how much better value can be had abroad.
    Some of the values quoted for championship players even are ridiculous these days.

Re: Justin Kluivert

Kluivert would have cost a Premier League side double that, foreign clubs know the money Prem clubs have

Although I do agree with you that we should look to Europe for players, there's a lot of value to be found in places like Germany and Scandinavia. I remember reading that Dutch players are over valued in comparison to other, less fashionable nations

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Kluivert would have cost a Premier League side double that, foreign clubs know the money Prem clubs have

Although I do agree with you that we should look to Europe for players, there's a lot of value to be found in places like Germany and Scandinavia. I remember reading that Dutch players are over valued in comparison to other, less fashionable nations
    Can't agree with your first point, if a premier league side had bit 2 million more then they're not going to reject that are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Can't agree with your first point, if a premier league side had bit 2 million more then they're not going to reject that are they?
    Premier League clubs would just drive the price up. Chelsea spent over 20m on Zappacosta. In terms of Ajax, Spurs spent over £35m on Sanchez. Davy Klaasen went for £24m. If a Premier League club comes knocking, the price skyrockets. Klaasen is not, and will never be as good as Kluivert but Everton paid 50% more. They'll know who's interested etc and that's how they'll work out their price. They know that Premier League clubs are thick, or would rather wait until they prove themselves abroad at a better league and then pay double a season or two later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Premier League clubs would just drive the price up. Chelsea spent over 20m on Zappacosta. In terms of Ajax, Spurs spent over £35m on Sanchez. Davy Klaasen went for £24m. If a Premier League club comes knocking, the price skyrockets. Klaasen is not, and will never be as good as Kluivert but Everton paid 50% more. They'll know who's interested etc and that's how they'll work out their price. They know that Premier League clubs are thick, or would rather wait until they prove themselves abroad at a better league and then pay double a season or two later.
    Yes but if Ajax had already accepted a bid for £16m from Roma, and say Arsenal come in with an offer of £20m they are going to accept that as wlt aren't they

I wholeheartedly agree with you about our European scouting network.

I've been a bit dismissive about European players this summer solely because I don't see Warnock using that market.

I usually love looking at potential bargains from the continent but this year I've hardly bothered.

I hope there is some truth in that lad from Besiktas as he looks a player and a position we badly need to strengthen in my opinion.

We have by far the most unimaginative in the league and I know we have plenty of pace in wide areas but it would be lovely to add a bit of creativity in central areas.

The Club is not really ready for promotion, there are many clubs in the championship with better structures in coaching/scouting and youth development.

We effectively got dragged up by some spectacular work from Warnock and Staff.

I don't think we are capable of dipping into the European market, unless is a recommendation from a scout Warnock trusts, and that is a punt. We are going to have to slowly develop the club over time, which i think was the plan and the promotion was not part of that plan.

Our signings from European clubs over the last couple of years post OGS:
    Loic Damour
    Idriss Saadi
    Lex immers
    Fred
    Kenneth Zohore

Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    The Club is not really ready for promotion, there are many clubs in the championship with better structures in coaching/scouting and youth development.

We effectively got dragged up by some spectacular work from Warnock and Staff.

I don't think we are capable of dipping into the European market, unless is a recommendation from a scout Warnock trusts, and that is a punt. We are going to have to slowly develop the club over time, which i think was the plan and the promotion was not part of that plan.
    Yeah I'd agree with that.

Yes but if Ajax had already accepted a bid for £16m from Roma, and say Arsenal come in with an offer of £20m they are going to accept that as wlt aren't they
    These days transfers are done well in advance of the bid being accepted though. Kluivert turned up in Rome, with a Roma scarf and he's already agreed personal terms. Gabbidon said on Elis James' podcast we were close to a signing about three weeks ago. This week, we look like we're signing his client, Josh Murphy. Obviously if Arsenal came in now, they'd accept it but if the Premier League club was leading the bidding, they'd drive the price up.

Hopefully Hoilett (if he re-signs) is in Warnocks ear about another Canadian, Alphonso Davies. Though I don't think we'd spending money on players "for the future" at this point in time after the whole Cornelius saga.

Quote Originally Posted by tdob (in Toronto) View Post
    Hopefully Hoilett (if he re-signs) is in Warnocks ear about another Canadian, Alphonso Davies. Though I don't think we'd spending money on players "for the future" at this point in time after the whole Cornelius saga.
    Another Canadian I mentioned a while ago is Cyle Larin, who is a big quick striker, but he went to besiktas for a couple of million in January. Has started well there though. 4 goals in 4 games since joining

They'll have known of Arsenal's interest beforehand and would have set the asking price higher before Roma's bid

Another Canadian I mentioned a while ago is Cyle Larin, who is a big quick striker, but he went to besiktas for a couple of million in January. Has started well there though. 4 goals in 4 games since joining
    Yeah, he's been a bit hit and miss for me but for the price he went for was well worth a punt. A lot of talent in North/South America.

This money we are paying for Murphy who is probably about 15th choice in his position for England you can't tell me the equivalent for better nations like Germany Spain etc would even be half of that. Let alone places like Serbia

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    This money we are paying for Murphy who is probably about 15th choice in his position for England you can't tell me the equivalent for better nations like Germany Spain etc would even be half of that. Let alone places like Serbia
    Latest rumours about jack grealish is 30million plus a year loan back.
    You could get a pretty decent player from elsewhere in Europe for that kind of money.

If he does well, Murphy will only go up in value. It's a double edged sword, and he's going to be more likely to want to stay and not kick up a fuss if we do go down, unlike OGS's recruits. He's a lower risk than signing a foreign player, as they'll know exactly what he's like so if he'll fit in with the squad more. He'll also adapt to the British game, and more importantly he'll already know what we're all about. Even players like Pires said it took them months to adapt. Unfortunately we don't have the time to wait on talent next season, we have to hit the ground running. We don't have a sophisticated scouting network, and we know we're going to buy domestic based players in the main. In the future though, I agree, if we stay up, we'll only kick on if we exploit that market.

I agree and concur that we should aim to build a better scouting network throughout Europe and beyond, however what people are failing to gather here in my opinion is how much team spirit was a factor in our success last season.

We had a group of lads who seemingly got on really well and as was seen by their trip abroad after promotion shared friendships off the pitch as well as on.

I'm by no means saying that you can't get this bond by signing foreign players but Warnock obviously believes that his strategy is a tried and tested one and as has been seen at numerous clubs in this country you do risk upsetting the balance and forming cliques if you sign too many players from differing cultures and language.

People talk about which model should be the blueprint for clubs who get promoted, and there's usually a flavour of the month, but nobody seems to talk about Wigan a town with about 100,000 population (lower than Newport) and surrounded by other clubs, but were in the premier league for 10 years continually surviving with pretty much the lowest budget every year.

Wigan brought in foreign players, but they knew they couldn't compete with the established European sides, so they started sending scouts to countries where nobody else was really scouting, places like Ecuador etc

People talk about which model should be the blueprint for clubs who get promoted, and there's usually a flavour of the month, but nobody seems to talk about Wigan a town with about 100,000 population (lower than Newport) and surrounded by other clubs, but were in the premier league for 10 years continually surviving with pretty much the lowest budget every year.

Wigan brought in foreign players, but they knew they couldn't compete with the established European sides, so they started sending scouts to countries where nobody else was really scouting, places like Ecuador etc
    Wigan established themselves before they bought their first South American though. Then they got Valencia from Villarreal and kicked on from there. I'd also imagine its harder to do now, the world is a lot smaller than it was a decade ago. Still, worth considering. I can't see us signing too many "unknowns" until Warnock leaves because the only way we'll be good enough to stay up is if everyone pulls exactly the same way and nobody rocks the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Wigan established themselves before they bought their first South American though. Then they got Valencia from Villarreal and kicked on from there. I'd also imagine its harder to do now, the world is a lot smaller than it was a decade ago. Still, worth considering. I can't see us signing too many "unknowns" until Warnock leaves because the only way we'll be good enough to stay up is if everyone pulls exactly the same way and nobody rocks the boat.
    Yeah I'd agree with all of that

Hes no Josh Murphy