+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Englands coming home.

Re: Englands coming home.

To all those jumping in I bumped this because Croesy Blue predicted that Sterling would carry his Citeh goalscoring form into the WC. I demurred and quoted a few statistics. At international level HRK and Simon Church have much better goalscoring records. Of course Sterling is head and shoulders above them as a player but put an England shirt on him and he turns into Eddie Johnson circa 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I don't really understand the stick. He's not outspoken, he hasn't said many controversial comments. He seems a decent enough guy in his interviews, not cocky. I don't think it's racism either, as is sometimes said, because by now there have been more than enough black players for England who get by without the attention.

I just don't get it.
    Scouse?

I think he's a good player but lucky to be in Man Citeh side.

Good attitude on him to keep getting in the positions he does.

It is fun though to watch a player who earns so much and with such a high profile mess up and I don't think the flak he takes is personal.

I rate him. Of course he's not a De Bruyne or a David Silva but then he's not expected to be.

He's direct, explosive, is 1v1 dominant and scores and creates goals. Technically he is much weaker than De Bruyne but he is effective.

At this moment in time, England need players who primarily can play the pressing game the y want to play, and second whose movement will generate a large number of chances.
    Someone who doesn't get many chances, but when he has one on a plate will tuck.it away 9/10 times is the wrong guy for this England team. Perhaps if they had a team of elite creative passers, but they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I rate him. Of course he's not a De Bruyne or a David Silva but then he's not expected to be.

He's direct, explosive, is 1v1 dominant and scores and creates goals. Technically he is much weaker than De Bruyne but he is effective.
    Sterling (and Lingard) get in good positions all the time. Sterling has an obvious confidence issue when playing for England but he's very effective. If one goes in from a few yards, he could really explode. I think he's unplayable on his day but then again, I've always been a fan.

Also, they've got Kane who will score despite not doing anything. They lack creativity in midfield, and Walker really looks like a full back playing inside at times but they'll do OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Sterling (and Lingard) get in good positions all the time. Sterling has an obvious confidence issue when playing for England but he's very effective. If one goes in from a few yards, he could really explode. I think he's unplayable on his day but then again, I've always been a fan.

Also, they've got Kane who will score despite not doing anything. They lack creativity in midfield, and Walker really looks like a full back playing inside at times but they'll do OK.
    I think walker showed why Southgate has him at the back a couple of times last night. There were one or two occasions when Tunisia managed to beat the press and sent balls through for their attackers to run on to, but walker is so quick that he snuffed them out immediately every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think walker showed why Southgate has him at the back a couple of times last night. There were one or two occasions when Tunisia managed to beat the press and sent balls through for their attackers to run on to, but walker is so quick that he snuffed them out immediately every time.
    He nearly turned into trouble a few times as well. I get why he's there but he's going to make mistakes like he did last night for the pen as he doesn't understand the position fully.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Scouse?

I think he's a good player but lucky to be in Man Citeh side.

Good attitude on him to keep getting in the positions he does.

It is fun though to watch a player who earns so much and with such a high profile mess up and I don't think the flak he takes is personal.
    29 premier league starts with 18 goals and 11 assist from the wing says he deserves to be there.

And if you don't think the slack he takes is personal you haven't been reading the papers recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He nearly turned into trouble a few times as well. I get why he's there but he's going to make mistakes like he did last night for the pen as he doesn't understand the position fully.
    I really like Walker as a full back and he's done well as part of the 3 centre halves but he definitely turned into trouble a few times last night.

I thought trippier at right back though was their best player. His conversion rate of crosses is unreal!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    29 premier league starts with 18 goals and 11 assist from the wing says he deserves to be there.

And if you don't think the slack he takes is personal you haven't been reading the papers recently.
    With the players around him and amount of chances Citeh create, Eddie Johnson woukd have a decent strike rate.
    I agree he does deserve to be there.
    Jeez you really are a fan aren't you

I am basing my opinion on what I see, what people write on here and what I see on tv.
    I don't read the papers often, just scour them online and certainly don't give the ones who are getting personal as you say, the time of day.

With the players around him and amount of chances Citeh create, Eddie Johnson woukd have a decent strike rate.

I am basing my opinion on what I see, what people write on here and what I see on tv.
    I don't read the papers often, just scour them online and certainly don't give the ones who are getting personal as you say, the time of day.
    Sterling is a good player who scores a lot of goals. He gets in good positions constantly, same as Lingard. I'd much rather someone who spurns chances than someone who never gets there. I'm not going to comment on the rags though, that's been done to death and it is completely shameful.

I just really rate him and always have, he definitely deserves to be in that City side on merit if not they'd have spent 100 million on another winger to replace him.