Thread: Englands coming home.

Englands coming home.

It's that time again.
    Fair play on the qualification record.
    Now the big games that count start.
    I reckon fail at the Group stage again.

Re: Englands coming home.

I can see them doing ok.
    A couple of decent forwards, a young side, sensible tactics that suit the players they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I can see them doing ok
    Yeah me too, expectations aren’t high at all and it’s probably the most likeable group of players they’ve had too.

Lots of goals in Sterling and Kane. A bit too weak in midfield and at centre half to win it but the system Southgate has them playing really suits them.

The England team is very a much of a muchness. Apart from Kane Walker Sterling you can pretty much throw anyone in there from a group of 30.

I think they keep trying to emulate teams like Spain but they don't have the players or techique the Spanish players do and then ultimately they don't do anything because when they play against better teams or ones with a good game plan fall short.
    The reason they do so well in qualifying i's they can get away with it as do have good enough players.

Their strength is pace they should be playing more like Leicester a few years ago but they won't as it unfashionable. Hitting teams on counter attack with players like sterling Rashford and vardy.

I think they’ll do well too. Very exciting up front.

Ra Ra Rasputin England's getting knocked out of the world cup again.

Draw with Tunisia, beat Panama and lose to Belgium is my prediction, out in the second round

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yeah me too, expectations aren’t high at all and it’s probably the most likeable group of players they’ve had too.

Lots of goals in Sterling and Kane. A bit too weak in midfield and at centre half to win it but the system Southgate has them playing really suits them.
    Raheem Sterling hasn’t scored for England in his last 20 appearances, going back nearly three years. He’s only ever scored twice for England in 38 caps, a record much worse than that of Simon Church, who managed to score five goals in 38 appearances for Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Raheem Sterling hasn’t scored for England in his last 20 appearances, going back nearly three years. He’s only ever scored twice for England in 38 caps, a record much worse than that of Simon Church, who managed to score five goals in 38 appearances for Wales.
    He’s a young player who’s always improving and has improved his all round game and confidence under Guardiola and scored 23 goals last season.

He’s a young player who’s always improving and has improved his all round game and confidence under Guardiola and scored 23 goals last season.
    Club form doesn't necessarily translate to international success

For examples see basically every England side of the last 20 years

I'm fairness Sterling is more of a winger than Simon Church who was a CF.

Crazy stat though really. He's an integral part of Citeh' s squad but with that record probably should be nowhere near the England side.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Club form doesn't necessarily translate to international success

For examples see basically every England side of the last 20 years
    Yes but his current form is a bit more relevant to his performances from years ago. He’s improved loads in the last 2 seasons

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'm fairness Sterling is more of a winger than Simon Church who was a CF.

Crazy stat though really. He's an integral part of Citeh' s squad but with that record probably should be nowhere near the England side.
    Ok then, how about comparing Sterling to Hal Robson Kanu? He’s a winger who has 44 caps and 5 goals. No matter which way you frame it, Sterling’s goalscoring record for England is pretty poor.

Ok then, how about comparing Sterling to Hal Robson Kanu? He’s a winger who has 44 caps and 5 goals. No matter which way you frame it, Sterling’s goalscoring record for England is pretty poor.
    Yet to see a pundit predict anything other than quarter finals for England.

The way the draw is would be a big shock if they got knocked out before or after that.

His scoring record everywhere wasn’t what It should have been until this season. But he’s improved his finishing and decision making so much. Ridiculous number of goals and assists this season.

He’s always been a quality player, people forget how young he is and that his all round game wasn’t perfected yet. He needed a decent coach to polish him a bit.

His scoring record everywhere wasn’t what It should have been until this season. But he’s improved his finishing and decision making so much. Ridiculous number of goals and assists this season.

He’s always been a quality player, people forget how young he is and that his all round game wasn’t perfected yet. He needed a decent coach to polish him a bit.
    ^^^this^^^

By the way I was kind of agreeing with you initially sev but CB is right.

I do think though (without checking any stats) that Sterling needs a lot of chances to score his goals so I don't expect his ratio to drastically improve after this WC.

I think they will qualify from the group .

Going on last night’s performance Sterling couldn’t hit a large barn door with a supersized banjo.

Going on last night’s performance Sterling couldn’t hit a large barn door with a supersized banjo.
    Or a cow's arse with a shotgun

How many times have we seen him fluff a tap-in? The lino 1st half saved his blushes.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think they will qualify from the group .
    Thought they’d won the Cup the way BBC were going on about it this morning.

When he missed that chance all I could think about was this thread

Stirling is a quality player. I can't believe people are comparing him to Simon church and hal Robson kanu. Can you imagine either of those in that man city side, they would stick out like sludge in a convent.

He's not been scoring many, but his pace is electric and really gives them an option. Will be a lot more effective against teams that defend a bit higher up the pitch.

I think he's going to be a top class player, his stats for last season were amazing. He was frustrating last night but still managed to get in a lot of good positions, he seems to get more stick from the media than any other england player too.

I think he's going to be a top class player, his stats for last season were amazing. He was frustrating last night but still managed to get in a lot of good positions, he seems to get more stick from the media than any other england player too.
    I don't really understand the stick. He's not outspoken, he hasn't said many controversial comments. He seems a decent enough guy in his interviews, not cocky. I don't think it's racism either, as is sometimes said, because by now there have been more than enough black players for England who get by without the attention.

I just don't get it.

I think there is a slight racsim element to it and a slight classism element to it, he's a first generation immigrant who came from nothing and it now earning millions and the sun who are the main culprits of this know it will wind up their readership and get clicks and comments.