+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA, Mexico and Canada

USA, Mexico and Canada

to host world cup in 2026.

Re: USA, Mexico and Canada

Appalling decision. ridiculous.
    Morocco would have been a superb location.
    Hope the whole thing goes tits up now.

Can't be serious, even FIFA graded the United bid as vastly superior. About time the world Cup came back to CONCACAF

Be a great World Cup if you can get to it

I am serious.
    Morroco have bid many times.
    They are a wonderful people and the world cup scattered acroos thos e three countries is ludicrous.
    Can you see South American countries sharing it?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    I am serious.
    Morroco have bid many times.
    They are a wonderful people and the world cup scattered acroos thos e three countries is ludicrous.
    Can you see South American countries sharing it?
    You wouldn't see any football anyway, you'd be too busy on the golf course.

Is this one going to be 48 teams? Very few countries could host that on their own.

EDIT: I've just remembered that ridiculous conversation with BIS last week. Forget I said this...

Its great to have the World series back again.

There's bound to be a couple of games at Metlife Stadium. Going to really try to get tickets for something.

Blue in the Face

Thought USA 94 was an amazing world cup. It's a bit dodgy the US getting it back again so soon, but you know this would be good.

Not sure I like this host sharing thing. Dilutes the magic. Surely Canada could easily have hosted this on their own?

Mexico 70, Mexico 86 - first country to host it three times.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Thought USA 94 was an amazing world cup. It's a bit dodgy the US getting it back again so soon, but you know this would be good.

Not sure I like this host sharing thing. Dilutes the magic. Surely Canada could easily have hosted this on their own?
    The World Cup has been to every region (some multiple times) since CONCACAF has had it last, they were due to host.

Expanding to 48 teams means you'd need to have at least 14 venues, no way Canada can pull that off. Maybe 6 stadiums, so you'd need to build brand new venues that won't be used after the World Cup, doesn't make sense.

Flying from Toronto > Mexico City is less time than flying from NY > LA so just having it in the USA isn't really any better. This way a Country like Canada, and Mexico get to also host a small percentage of matches. Due to the expanded format having 3 qualified teams wouldnt make any difference as CONCACAF will just get less spots in qualifying.

It's like Wales, we would never be able to host our own World Cup, but if we bid with England we might be able to. I don't really see a downside.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Didnt they step in as late hosts in the 86 world cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Be a great World Cup if you can get to it
    Agreed. Thats my 50th birthday trip sorted. Just hope Wales can qualify now.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Agreed. Thats my 50th birthday trip sorted. Just hope Wales can qualify now.
    Bloody hell i wouldn’t have had you for a day under 65 😉

If wales could qualify for that World Cup it would be an absolute dream for me. Some fantastic trips.

Crazy that england or the U.K. haven’t had it again really.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Didnt they step in as late hosts in the 86 world cup?
    They did, but they still beat out other offers and was years in advance of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Crazy that england or the U.K. haven’t had it again really.

Yeah it is, the stadiums are in place, it's one of a handful of countries most associated with the sport thanks to the PL so the profile is there, it's hard to understand why they've only had it once - hate to say it.

Blatter had a thing about going to new places and forging a legacy. Now he's gone they'll probably have a great shout at 2030 (assuming Europe can bid).

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    You wouldn't see any football anyway, you'd be too busy on the golf course.

He's got you in his pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There's bound to be a couple of games at Fetlife Stadium. Going to really try to get tickets for something.
    Fixed it for you

This could well be the last ever tournament with a single host.

Yeah it is, the stadiums are in place, it's one of a handful of countries most associated with the sport thanks to the PL so the profile is there, it's hard to understand why they've only had it once - hate to say it.

Blatter had a thing about going to new places and forging a legacy. Now he's gone they'll probably have a great shout at 2030 (assuming Europe can bid).
    England are basically hosting the next Euros despite it meaning to be the chance for multiple smaller nations to host a game. Don't feel too sorry for them.

Lack of brown paper bags would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    This could well be the last ever tournament with a single host.
    QATAR??

trump strikes again