+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Full retained list announced

Full retained list announced

Cardiff City FC can confirm that a retained players list has now been submitted.

Aron Gunnarsson, Junior Hoilett and Brian Murphy have been offered contracts with decisions pending.

Offers have also been made to U23 squad members Tyrone Duffus, Lloyd Humphries, Ibrahim Meite, Jamie Veale; and scholars, Jack Bodenham, Warren Burwood and Laurence Wooton.

Greg Halford will leave the Club at the end of June, along with Matthew Kennedy, Ben Wilson, Rhys Abbruzzese, Ogo Obi and Connor Young. Scholars, Alfie Madden, Keiron Proctor and Cai Williams will also depart.

The Club would like to place on record its sincerest thanks to those who are moving on to pastures new this summer.

The full Cardiff City FC retained list is as follows:

First Team

Sol Bamba
    Joe Bennett
    Omar Bogle
    Lee Camp
    Matthew Connolly
    Loïc Damour
    Bruno Ecuele Manga
    Neil Etheridge
    Kadeem Harris
    Rhys Healey
    Gary Madine
    Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
    Sean Morrison
    Stuart O’Keefe
    Callum Paterson
    Lee Peltier
    Anthony Pilkington
    Joe Ralls
    Jazz Richards
    Lee Tomlin
    Danny Ward
    Kenneth Zohore

U23 Squad

Ciaron Brown
    Cameron Coxe
    Mark Harris
    Jack McKay
    Paul McKay
    James Waite

Scholars

Sam Bowen
    Connor Davies
    Jac Davies
    Jordan Duffey
    Jacob Evans
    Trystan Jones
    Ben Margetson
    Keenan Patten
    George Ratcliffe
    Ryan Reynolds
    Adam Sharif
    Henry Smith
    Sion Spence

Re: Full retained list announced

No great surprises there, perhaps Murphy being offered a new contract. Must mean Camp will be on his way as we need a top quality gk back up.
    Quite a few on the retained list will be on their way, Can't see Bogle, Tomlin, Connolly being here in August.

There's a 3/4 minute interview with Warnock on the Club TV site.

He says the negotiations with Gunnar and Hoilett's agents (presume Murphy's too) are still going on and it is more likely to be a few weeks than a few days before they are resolved. I got the impression he expects them to stay.

He also said that he hadn't closed the door on Halford remaining as a squad player - but that he expected him to move on if he got an offer that meant regular football.

Fred Guonongbe doesn't get a mention or a goodbye in the statement!

I imagine a number of those first team squad players in the retained list will be moved on if the club can get an offer for them - Camp and O'Keefe to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Have we 'retained' Tomlin and Bogle because they are still on contract ?
    I thought Bogle was a good championship player , but there again I thought the same about Idris Saadi
    Yes obviously, you cannot release players that are still under contract.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Yes obviously, you cannot release players that are still under contract.
    Mutual terminations of contract occur, but get your point.

I'm waiting for the CCMB full restrained list for next season

Greg Halford stay on as a squad player? Oh do **** off.

No time for sentiment. He’s nowhere near good enough for the Prem.

I’d also **** off Camp, Healy, Harris, Bogle, Damour, Tomlin (not on ability but because Neil clearly can’t fit him in), Connolly, O Keefe and Madine.

Jury’s also out on wethe NML, Peltier, Richard’s, and Ward can make the step up, even as squad players.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Greg Halford stay on as a squad player? Oh do **** off.

No time for sentiment. He’s nowhere near good enough for the Prem.

I’d also **** off Camp, Healy, Harris, Bogle, Damour, Tomlin (not on ability but because Neil clearly can’t fit him in), Connolly, O Keefe and Madine.

Jury’s also out on wethe NML, Peltier, Richard’s, and Ward can make the step up, even as squad players.
    We're going to be lumbered with Madine for bloody years. Nobody is going to be dumb enough to take him off our hands. I'd agree with the others, although Damour is a cheap body and started last season strongly. We'll struggle to move on Camp and Connolly too. Jazz looks decent in a welsh shirt, so I think he might be ok.

Seems like some people are going to be 'clogging' Madine again and have written him off even though he only started six games last season. I prefer to give him a chance this year and would back NW to get him going. After all, he did outscore Zohore and Hoilett last season in the league and got the same number as Paterson and I dont see anyone calling for their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Seems like some people are going to be 'clogging' Madine again and have written him off even though he only started six games last season. I prefer to give him a chance this year and would back NW to get him going. After all, he did outscore Zohore and Hoilett last season in the league and got the same number as Paterson and I dont see anyone calling for their heads.
    Yes it's poor stuff , hardest gig in the world for a footballer is signing as a striker in a January window, I can think of a few superstars who have failed that gig .

Hey I get it the board have to hate someone , with Whiits now gone , so step up Gary Madine .

But here's a thought , yes we know he's not Premiership class, who is in out team anyway .

Let's imagine though we go down , Zohore as a result moves on , who better to turn too than Gary Madine ,who has scored at champoinship level , therefore we do need to support him , to get that potential result .

Give him a break,

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes it's poor stuff , hardest gig in the world for a footballer is signing as a striker in a January window, I can think of a few superstars who have failed that gig .

Yes such a tough gig signing in January, look at that Mitrovic fella at Fulham.

Let's imagine though we go down , Zohore as a result moves on , who better to turn too than Gary Madine ,who has scored at champoinship level , therefore we do need to support him , to get that potential result .
    This is a joke right? Hes had one decent half season in the Championship in his whole career. There are many better strikers with far better championship pedigree than Gary Madine who we can turn to should we go back down.

Give him a break,
    In his career, he's played 138 Championship games and scored a mere 21 goals (half of which came last season with Bolton). Forgive us if he doesn't fill us with the utmost confidence in his ability. Added to which we paid a staggering £5m or so for his services.

I'd be amazed if he wasn't loaned out / sold during the course of this season. But, if he proves me wrong and has a blinding season, then you won't see me complaining.