+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fred Guonongbe

Fred Guonongbe

So long, and thanks for all the memories!

A City legend.

(Even though you don't warrant a mention in the club retained list (and departing players) announcement or any of the cut and paste press coverage).

Re: Fred Guonongbe

On a more serious note. ...can we assume that Fred left the club sometime after his last sub appearance in November?

And on an even more serious note, let's not take the piss out of our players. With probably very few exceptions, they try their best and even if that turns out not to be good enough, it's hardly their fault. Someone clearly thought they might be good for the club in bringing them here, and, if not the case, at least be gracious in saying goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    And on an even more serious note, let's not take the piss out of our players. With probably very few exceptions, they try their best and even if that turns out not to be good enough, it's hardly their fault. Someone clearly thought they might be good for the club in bringing them here, and, if not the case, at least be gracious in saying goodbye.

Well I for one liked him, and I'd like to say thanks Fred , its not easy at our club sometimes , and the message board can sometimes be a very harsh beast,its not his fault we signed a world class striker from Bolton for 60 million

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    Let me be the first.

Goodbye Fred.

Fred has been airbrushed out of the club a few times.

Last summer he 'disappeared' and wasn't even given a shirt number when they were originally announced. A week or so later the team pages on the club website were revised and Fred reappeared (demoted from No 9 to No 26).

He hasn't made a great impression - never recovered from that miss on his debut at St Andrews - but I don't like the disrespect of pretending he doesn't (or didn't) exist.

For a short while Warnock was talking him up (the best finisher in training) and using him in odd games, but then injuries hit again and he reverted to being an invisible man.

I suppose JC may be right in suggesting he left the club a few months ago - but if so it was not announced by the club and he is still showing on the first team web page. I think it's more likely that he leaves at the end of his contract (with the other out of contract players who are 'released') next month.

Goodbye Fred, and good luck for the future.

End of Fred

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Last summer he 'disappeared' and wasn't even given a shirt number when they were originally announced. A week or so later the team pages on the club website were revised and Fred reappeared (demoted from No 9 to No 26).

He hasn't made a great impression - never recovered from that miss on his debut at St Andrews - but I don't like the disrespect of pretending he doesn't (or didn't) exist.

For a short while Warnock was talking him up (the best finisher in training) and using him in odd games, but then injuries hit again and he reverted to being an invisible man.

I suppose JC may be right in suggesting he left the club a few months ago - but if so it was not announced by the club and he is still showing on the first team web page. I think it's more likely that he leaves at the end of his contract (with the other out of contract players who are 'released') next month.

Warnock did say at the time (last Nov ) that Fred had had serious personal problems.

I thought Man Utd have signed him.

Got to be honest and say that Fred was definitely not my favourite player at the club and i'm glad he's gone because he was doing nothing here. But all the same i'd still wish him all the best for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Let's be honest, he was a pretty low risk and it didn't work out for him. maybe he didn't get a decent run but sometimes it just doesn't work out for players.

It strikes me that without a proper reserve league most players like Fred are unable to get some decent and competitie games to prove themselves. The U23 system, in my view, doesn't really provide what some of the senior players need to get fit or prove themselves.

Good luck Fred.

Being called the best finisher in training has to be the biggest insult in football!