+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T - House TV aerial query

O/T - House TV aerial query

Moving to a new house shortly which doesn't have a roof aerial. It's got Virgin plumbed in which I'll renew for the basic TV channels / Freeview but just wondering if it's worth paying to get an aerial installed i.e. are there any benefits to getting an aerial at all these days??

Re: O/T - House TV aerial query

If you only want basic TV an aerial is best. In fact why pay for Virgin when you can get Freeview for nothing?

In a word no, lots of other ways to get tv!

I have Virgin in one room but use an aerial to provide a feed to the rooms in the rest of the house

Not only good freeview but if you wanted any BT service you would need to have an arial installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Moving to a new house shortly which doesn't have a roof aerial. It's got Virgin plumbed in which I'll renew for the basic TV channels / Freeview but just wondering if it's worth paying to get an aerial installed i.e. are there any benefits to getting an aerial at all these days??
    Indoor HD aerial might do the job. I've fitted one at my parents and it does the job for Freeview/HD:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Indo.../dp/B01N6HE42M

Ancient technology. Like having a phone line into the house. will be a thing of the past and obsolete in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Ancient technology. Like having a phone line into the house. will be a thing of the past and obsolete in a few years.
    I disagree. Freeview appears here to stay and has the huge bonus of not requiring broadband to work.

I’ve got NOW tv for most things but I quite like freebies. Arielss are very good and cheap enough from any supermarket. I got one for 15 quid last week

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I disagree. Freeview appears here to stay and has the huge bonus of not requiring broadband to work.
    I take your point. As of now , it works and is cheap. I use it for my tv. I just feel with on demand and the ability to watch tv live online via iPlayer etc, it will be outdated soon.

Thanks for all the varied replies.

To confuse matters further, my Mrs wants to keep her phone she's HD for years so well have BT for that alone, but I'll have the Virgin fibre broadband so it makes sense to use their digital box too.

On top of this, I have smart tvs so most of our content is on demand via wifi anyway.

Are all the various Welsh regional channels on Freeview or is this only available via aerial?

Theres a virgin deal on top cashback
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/search...c+TV+and+Calls

Its legit.Ive had 60 quid back off car ins and 40 back for tesco creditcard

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    It will all be app tv soon so just need wi fi in house.