Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
It's all relative. The majority of the people in the world will say that having three televisions in your house, two cars on your drive*, or a washing machine, is greedy. It's more than you need. I guarantee you own things that you don't need.

I've read that footballers below the superstar level pay 40% tax and NI, so a good chunk of their wage goes straight away and half a million/one million a year is not that much in today's world. More than I can dream of, but it's not enough to rely on for the five or so decades you have left. Remember Phil or Gary Neville buying that farmhouse and making it look gaudy and horrible? Despite all their money, they still bought it with a mortgage.

In short, what is a nice treat for you and your family as a reward for you working hard is pure greed to someone else. And footballers do work hard - they have to pretty much sacrifice everything from childhood to have a chance of making it. If you're not on the path by 10, then you've got very little chance. These are the (not guaranteed) rewards for those massive sacrifices.

*I'm sure there are plenty of people reading this without two cars on their drive (my family doesn't) but I'd bet the reason isn't "it would be pure greed if I did".
How is having a washing machine on your drive greedy????