+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warnock - "slight problem" in Hoilett negotiations.

Re: Warnock - "slight problem" in Hoilett negotiations.

He doesn't owe him shit, we don't owe him shit.

Difference is, without us and Warnock taking him on where would his career now be?

I have no idea, but he has more than repaid NW's faith in him by now and if he decides that his career would be better served elsewhere then we will just have to accept that, as difficult as it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ll get shot down for this as I accept he had a great season and I respect he’s had a good career.

But he goes missing too often and can’t see him being effective in the Prem

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I’ll get shot down for this as I accept he had a great season and I respect he’s had a good career.

But he goes missing too often and can’t see him being effective in the Prem
    You could be right, but we've just paid £10M+ for Murphy who I'd be surprised if he were any more effective than Hoilett this coming season. If Junior goes elsewhere as a free agent he'll get a nice 'signing on' fee as well as a decent salary. As others have said he'd be mad not to want to take advantage of a great situation that he was one of the key actors in making happen.

There are no guarantees for players in football and he could find himself on the bench next season where his bargaining power will then plummet. Let's not get wound up about everyone trying to get the right deal for the Club or themselves.

I hope he stays as I think he'll be effective in the Prem and I am curious to see what he can do at this level. If he goes then it's with my heartfelt thanks for an amazing contribution last season.

I'd be disappointed if he went but if so we've both been good for each other. He's probably made us more than we have made him.

I like holiett you have to expect us to match what he's been offered. It's not like he has had a dazzling career he wont get another chance to be in this position.

If he's playing hard ball, on ya bike. He needs us more than we need him.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    That's the issue he doesn't we probably need him to save us 10 mill. He seems in a position to get a better deal, Im not saying don't negotiate but sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture . Moral are all well and good but you can't put them on your tax return

Blue in the Face

A few hyperbolic thoughts...

1. Is it me or is there always a drawn out contract renewal saga every summer with a fans favourite? Do the club do it on purpose so it feels like a new signing when the new contract is finally announced. I swear they did this twice with Whitts.

2. Is it more a case that Dave is demanding another one year contract? Neil might want players who have something to lose if we were to go down so therefore longer contracts could be the principle he talks about.

3. Dave is able to command a signing on fee everytime he opts for a short contract so can acrue more than your average player each time. Going of his last half decade, you can't say he's nervous about a little brinkmanship. Maybe his old man his pretty savvy on this point but he might not want to push Warnock on this again. I expect Neil has had contract dealings with him a lot over the years.

4. Has Dave got MLS on his sights at some point? I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to be a superstar if he went to say Toronto FC. I may be able to earn much more if he was one of the three registered high earners that their system allows. And it is his home after all. Maybe he wants to achieve there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He's done that before and has been prepared to walk away without a club, can't blame him for trying to maximize his remaining career
    He has a career here...

Take part, and contribute to at least five performances in the Premier League and we'll love him forever.

He's exactly the player who would go elsewhere and fall into oblivion.

The question is, does he want money, or is he looking for football folklore?

In a reality he wants the best deal, as his next contract is the bigby for him at his age.

Being a forward your lifespan is not that of say a defender , or goalie , whose playing carears can go on into their late 30's , he won't keep his pace forever , just hope we get a deal worked, he's been a great acquisition for us. .

Pay him what he deserves and not what his agent wants. We'd be thrilled to keep him but if he doesn't want to be here then we'd be better off with someone else. We'll manage either way.

International

If he does want a big deal in the US League he will command more attention as a Premier Player so a year with us cannot do him much harm!
    As for forward having shorter careers, the can always move back as the slow down, and anywhere on the left he would be an asset to most clubs!

Maybe he is concerned about his game time with the new arrival. Warnicks comments could easily allude to that being the slight problem.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If he does want a big deal in the US League he will command more attention as a Premier Player so a year with us cannot do him much harm!
    As for forward having shorter careers, the can always move back as the slow down, and anywhere on the left he would be an asset to most clubs!
    I definitely think he wants to come home to Toronto for a few years, but I don't think the time is now for that. Toronto wouldn't be able to sign currently with their salary cap situation anyhow, would be surprised if he would go to another team. (hope not!)

He was willing to sit on the sidelines without a contract for a few months at the request of Warnock, so they must have a really good relationship. I think (hope) they will get this sorted out.

Utter rubbish. He can play anywhere and get paid well. He's our best player, and we've just spent £11m on a winger I don't think is as good as him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Utter rubbish. He can play anywhere and get paid well. He's our best player, and we've just spent £11m on a winger I don't think is as good as him.
    The club obviously have a wage structure in place. If they break it, the plan isn't there.

He's holding out for a deal elsewhere. Which as a free agent there would be a very large signing on fee.

Do you believe they should break there wage structure?

The club obviously have a wage structure in place. If they break it, the plan isn't there.

He's holding out for a deal elsewhere. Which as a free agent there would be a very large signing on fee.

Do you believe they should break there wage structure?
    Not sure how this works but presumably once his contract expires he could command a big signing on fee from us too and take the same salary as everyone else? I'd prefer to pay him a higher salary and no signing on fee if it was cheaper overall.

Stoke are very Keen apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    That's the issue he doesn't we probably need him to save us 10 mill. He seems in a position to get a better deal, Im not saying don't negotiate but sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture . Moral are all well and good but you can't put them on your tax return
    Maybe his wage demands have increased because of what Cardiff's new signings are earning. Either way, as you say, a replacement would cost a fair packet and would probably earn a fair packet. Players always win in the end, whether that's moving on to earn more money, or staying put to earn more money.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Stoke are very Keen apparently.
    Maybe feels the Championship is his level. Playing for a promotion chasing team might be more attractive than playing in a struggling EPL side.

The Stoke link is from a local journo up there

If he’s a £10 million player I’ll eat my arse.

He’s a good championship winger imo and I can’t see him offering a lot next season.

Certainly no Darren Huckerby.

Maybe, he just wants to see all the offers in front of him before he decides. I'd be sprry to see him go, as he was so important last season, but I don't really hold any grudges if he feels he'd be better off somewhere else. He's Canadian, perhaps he's got offers from the other side of the Atlantic that would be a big pay day, and close to home? I dunno...

4. Has Dave got MLS on his sights at some point? I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to be a superstar if he went to say Toronto FC. I may be able to earn much more if he was one of the three registered high earners that their system allows. And it is his home after all. Maybe he wants to achieve there?[/QUOTE]

Sorry Blue in the face, I didn't see your post before I put mine up. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this came into play. Toronto just won the thing too. He's from the Toronto area, maybe a decent offer would tempt him back and who could blame him for that?

I'd say, at 28, he's a a couple of years at least from considering a move to MLS. Stoke could probably offer him more than us if the rumoured interest from them is genuine.