+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bielsa to Leeds.

Bielsa to Leeds.

Interesting, not got a clue how this will work out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44460259

Re: Bielsa to Leeds.

Thought the same bob. Could go either way I guess. Automatic promotion back to the premier league, or the wheels could fall off the bus, leaving them stranded in mid-table with another manager gone by Xmas. I'm hoping it's the second!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Thought the same bob. Could go either way I guess. Automatic promotion back to the premier league, or the wheels could fall off the bus, leaving them stranded in mid-table with another manager gone by Xmas. I'm hoping it's the second!
    A team where they have form for managers departing after a short period and a manager who has recently form for the same thing? It's a match made in Heaven.

His theory is superb but this article correctly wonders whether his style of football can survive in the Championship's 46 game plus season.

UNBELIEVABLE!

Like others have alluded to, this could be the worst or best appointment of all time.

Either way they have appointed one of the most influential and inspirational football figures of all time!

Has to be backed though. His system won't work with what he has currently.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    UNBELIEVABLE!

Like others have alluded to, this could be the worst or best appointment of all time.

Either way they have appointed one of the most influential and inspirational football figures of all time!
    Agree, will be really interesting to see how it pans out.

Alan Brazil on talksport this morning had never heard of Bielsa, which says a lot about the quality of sports journalism in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    UNBELIEVABLE!

I live in Leeds, so this is going to be interesting. I have a feeling something similar to what happened at Marseille may happen:

"He led them to the symbolic title of "autumn champions" after they beat Lille OSC on Matchday 19 (on 21 December 2014) of the 2014–15 Ligue 1 season before they faded to finish fourth in Ligue 1 at the end of the season"

I'd be very, very surprised if he can last a full 46 game season playing his style. Ander Herrera said by the end of the season at Athletic Bilbao he had no legs to walk.

Still, I'd argue it's the most exciting managerial appointment in the Championship that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I live in Leeds, so this is going to be interesting. I have a feeling something similar to what happened at Marseille may happen:

"He led them to the symbolic title of "autumn champions" after they beat Lille OSC on Matchday 19 (on 21 December 2014) of the 2014–15 Ligue 1 season before they faded to finish fourth in Ligue 1 at the end of the season"

I'd be very, very surprised if he can last a full 46 game season playing his style. Ander Herrera said by the end of the season at Athletic Bilbao he had no legs to walk.

Still, I'd argue it's the most exciting managerial appointment in the Championship that I can remember.
    Potter will be an interesting one as well, and to an extent lampard, but yeah Bielsa Has to be the highest profile.
    None of them are without their risks.

I think forty six games is the key - is there any domestic league in Europe where you play more matches?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think forty six games is the key - is there any domestic league in Europe where you play more matches?
    I'm pretty sure there isn't, although teams going far in Europe can play more games than that. Even then in leagues outside this country there tends to be more easy wins so more opportunities to take it easy after half the match.
    Interestingly in this world cup, the England squad as a group has played fewer games than several of the others including Spain and Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

I heard Herrera saying that on a Graham Hunter podcast recently. That Bilbao team we're incredible.

There's a book by Jed Davies about Bielsa, has anyone read it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Potter will be an interesting one as well, and to an extent lampard, but yeah Bielsa Has to be the highest profile.
    None of them are without their risks.
    Bielsa is possibly the biggest risk with the biggest reward. If it comes of, and that's a very big if, it will be amazing to watch.

And as Gringo says, that Bilbao side were absolutely brilliant.

Leeds to be the football hipster's team of choice for a while then

Didn't he leave Lazio a couple of days after joining?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Leeds to be the football hipster's team of choice for a while then

Didn't he leave Lazio a couple of days after joining?
    He gave them a list of players to sign, Lazio signed none of them so turned up and just packed his bags and left. Two days is probably generous for the time he spent there.

I'm led to believe he has the pick of Man City and Spurs loanees cos of his connections with Pep and Poch.

It's the only reason he took the job on.

Not sure the truth in this but will be interesting to see