+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Toronto Jolly

Little Toronto Jolly

I'm off to Toronto back end of the week for a five night break, staying very near to the CNN tower. Got a couple of things arranged, namely; day trip to Niagara falls and dinner at sunset up the CNN tower but would be interested to know of any recommendations for other 'must do' or maybe 'must not do'.

Food and drink is a passion and I want to eat well but reasonable and would welcome tips for good breakfast diners and good value non pretentious evening eats as well as where may be good for good beer in good surroundings. I was previously advised by SOOC on here who I believe lives there but cant now find the thread.

First time in Canada, thanks In Advance.

Re: Little Toronto Jolly

Eat at WVRST. 609 King St West (its a 10-15 min walk from the CN Tower). It’s a simple concept but a really cool experience. Great beer and food and one of the most reasonably priced places in the city

If the Blue Jays are at home then go - it won’t break the bank but try and get seats as close to the field as you can. 200 levels will be perfect

Try the St.Lawrence market - has been voted best market in the world. I’d buy lunch there from one of the market stalls

If it’s hot (highly likely) and you’re here next weekend then it’s the Toronto Craft Beer Festival. Tickets might be like rocking horse shit but worth trying

If you prefer wine over beer go to Niagara on the Lake (about 30 mins closer to Toronto than Niagara Falls) it’s the heart of Ontario wine country and a beautiful part of the province. Eat at Good Earth Winery where the tables are in the vineyard

If you enjoy live music checkout The Horseshoe Tavern - bar as well and a Toronto institution

Lots of great rooftop patios as well - I like Mascot Brewing, but Oasis at Gretzkys bar is also very cool. You could also try The Broadview Hotel which has another great patio.

Other than that you can eat just about any type of food you want - it’s such a multi-cultural city - just use Yelp.(some great breakfast and brunch spots as well but take your pick)

Steam Whistle Brewey - will be a 5 minute walk from your hotel and is in same geography as CN Tower and Blue Jays - they’ll give you free samples but stay for a full one

Go for a walk along Queens Quay and have lunch in The Amsterdam Brewhouse (get an order of beer flights as well)See if you can get a table outside but inside is just as good. Get there early - Canadians tend to be ready for lunch by noon and this place is really popular on weekends particularly

That should help you out a bit

Oh and there’s bound to be a World Cup game on so head for Real Sports - it’s possibly the best sports bar I’ve ever seen - there’s a cinema size screen in there. Get a table on the upper level if it’s open (it will be for an afternoon game - you may need to reserve a table). You look down on this screen - really cool bar. Everyone is impressed with their first visit that I take

That's great info mate, thanks. I'm glad you reminded me about Wvrst, as I remember seeing that on TV in one of the Anthony Bourdain programmes.

No problem. City is full of cool neighbourhoods. Try Cocktail on Dundas West and Bellwoods Brewery on Ossington as well

Great info SOOC, I want to go now.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    No problem. City is full of cool neighbourhoods. Try Cocktail on Dundas West and Bellwoods Brewery on Ossington as well
    Just sent you PM. Thanks

Great memories there for me, fantastic time there in 1989. 52 of us on a football tour with Bridgend Street (now that's a proper trip for a local club), 3 games out there, one in Toronto, one in North York and another in Niagara Falls, 17 fantastic days with great mates. Saw the last Blue Jays game at the Exhibition Stadium & Rod Stewart in the first event at the SkyDome. Took some organising that trip but boy was it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Great memories there for me, fantastic time there in 1989. 52 of us on a football tour with Bridgend Street (now that's a proper trip for a local club), 3 games out there, one in Toronto, one in North York and another in Niagara Falls, 17 fantastic days with great mates. Saw the last Blue Jays game at the Exhibition Stadium & Rod Stewart in the first event at the SkyDome. Took some organising that trip but boy was it worth it.
    Wow, Bridgend St on tour. I bet that was eventful

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Just sent you PM. Thanks
    Replied... at least I think I did 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Great info SOOC, I want to go now.
    From May to September in terms of really big North American cities, I’d say there was only NYC and Chicago to rival it. It’s a truly amazing city. Unbelievably safe and friendly as well.

Wow, Bridgend St on tour. I bet that was eventful
    We were always away in those days PJ, mostly the odd week every June on the continent but we grew out of that ���� and decided to go for the big one, didn't go away together in '88, just did shitloads of fundraising for two years and went to Canada pretty cheaply due to it. Hard to comprehend how it all came together in those pre internet days, organising 52 (not all of sound mind either��) individuals, accomadation, transfers, games, football kits. All sorted out by long distance phone calls, letter, calls on the house phone & regular meeting up Fleurs, amazing really.

Replied... at least I think I did ��
    I did also, Thanks

toronto the best city in the world no contest

If you like the horses, have a day out at Woodbine

You'll love Toronto I worked there in 00/01 & have been back a few times, including a fortnight ago. I'll only add go to China Town, it's as authentic as you find outside of Asia.

How was it? Curious if you found something new cool that you’d recommend

How was it? Curious if you found something new cool that you’d recommend
    Hi, I was going to drop you a message today, we only got back home early hours yesterday. We had a great time and took up a few of the recommendations you offered. I deliberately booked day flights to make the most of the time and try to lessen the effects of the five hour time difference, and arrived around 1500 local on Thursday. We stayed in the Intercontinental on Front St, right by the CN tower, was fine and really handy for all the things we wanted to do.

We spent Thursday evening in Amsterdam Brewhouse, in the balmy sunshine having a few beers and a meal. We spent most of Friday on the Island which was lovely to walk with immaculate parkland and great photo opportunities, we walked around the whole island, taking the public ferry over and back. Prior to going to the Island we went to St Lawrence Market which was smaller than I anticipated but none the less a must do, the food available was to die for, especially the huge (and I mean HUGE) steaks, but we settled for a pea meal bacon roll and coffee which was great. On Saturday it was rainy as you know, so we decided to go to the underground shopping complex, the term shopping complex is an understatement as its practically a city in size terms (the biggest in the world? I believe). We did Kensington market on Saturday PM, which was a change from city sky scraper skyline and a good cultural experience. On Sunday the heavens opened as you know, so we did all the other indoor things, namely, the great aquarium, the steamwhistle brewery which we enjoyed and the Royal Ontario Museum, which I particularly enjoyed learning about Canada's indiginous people. On Monday it was glorious and fitting for our day to Niagara, which was my top experience. The falls are nothing short of spectacular, but what was to follow really wowed me. Our tour included the onward journey to Niagara on the lake, which apparently Winston Churchill described as the best afternoon drive in the world. He wasn't wrong, I am well traveled and have never seen such fabulous houses in immaculate settings and countryside, Niagara on the lake town was equally impressive, with the USA literally a stones throw across from the lakeside beach.

So all in all a fabulous trip with the highlights for me being:

The Niagara day trip (anyone want detail on the company, PM me)
    The Island
    The Beer (Steamwhistle was a nice unique pilsener, but Goose is my tipple when across the pond)
    The Keg steakhouse on the Espanade (the absolute best food I have ever eaten in a great setting)
    The flight from the Canadian coast to Toronto, noise cancelling headphones on looking out the window at lake after lake

The lowlights:

As it was extremely busy with thousands from 'Pride' and the Rotary club, we got to Wvrst only to find an hour que, so didn't bother.

The 360 restaurant at the CN tower, hideous prices for below standard food and drink. The view was nice though.

The weather on Sunday

Would I go again? It was my first time in Canada and had a great time, but think my next trip will be to Vancouver, with travel to Banff included.

Thanks once again for all of the tips, I did also go to the Real Sport bar just for a couple before going to dinner, it was great and massive (it was evening so no game on)

Sorry I missed this post looking for recommendations, sounds like you had a good time anyway! I agree about the CN Tower restaurant, really is just a tourist trap. Shame Toronto FC weren't in town, could have helped sort you out a ticket, always looking for someone to talk Cardiff with

Going to be scorching here over next few days, 30+ degrees and feels like 40+ with humidity.

Hi, I was going to drop you a message today, we only got back home early hours yesterday. We had a great time and took up a few of the recommendations you offered. I deliberately booked day flights to make the most of the time and try to lessen the effects of the five hour time difference, and arrived around 1500 local on Thursday. We stayed in the Intercontinental on Front St, right by the CN tower, was fine and really handy for all the things we wanted to do.

We spent Thursday evening in Amsterdam Brewhouse, in the balmy sunshine having a few beers and a meal. We spent most of Friday on the Island which was lovely to walk with immaculate parkland and great photo opportunities, we walked around the whole island, taking the public ferry over and back. Prior to going to the Island we went to St Lawrence Market which was smaller than I anticipated but none the less a must do, the food available was to die for, especially the huge (and I mean HUGE) steaks, but we settled for a pea meal bacon roll and coffee which was great. On Saturday it was rainy as you know, so we decided to go to the underground shopping complex, the term shopping complex is an understatement as its practically a city in size terms (the biggest in the world? I believe). We did Kensington market on Saturday PM, which was a change from city sky scraper skyline and a good cultural experience. On Sunday the heavens opened as you know, so we did all the other indoor things, namely, the great aquarium, the steamwhistle brewery which we enjoyed and the Royal Ontario Museum, which I particularly enjoyed learning about Canada's indiginous people. On Monday it was glorious and fitting for our day to Niagara, which was my top experience. The falls are nothing short of spectacular, but what was to follow really wowed me. Our tour included the onward journey to Niagara on the lake, which apparently Winston Churchill described as the best afternoon drive in the world. He wasn't wrong, I am well traveled and have never seen such fabulous houses in immaculate settings and countryside, Niagara on the lake town was equally impressive, with the USA literally a stones throw across from the lakeside beach.

So all in all a fabulous trip with the highlights for me being:

The Niagara day trip (anyone want detail on the company, PM me)
    The Island
    The Beer (Steamwhistle was a nice unique pilsener, but Goose is my tipple when across the pond)
    The Keg steakhouse on the Espanade (the absolute best food I have ever eaten in a great setting)
    The flight from the Canadian coast to Toronto, noise cancelling headphones on looking out the window at lake after lake

The lowlights:

As it was extremely busy with thousands from 'Pride' and the Rotary club, we got to Wvrst only to find an hour que, so didn't bother.

The 360 restaurant at the CN tower, hideous prices for below standard food and drink. The view was nice though.

The weather on Sunday

Would I go again? It was my first time in Canada and had a great time, but think my next trip will be to Vancouver, with travel to Banff included.

Thanks once again for all of the tips, I did also go to the Real Sport bar just for a couple before going to dinner, it was great and massive (it was evening so no game on)
    Great - you certainly crammed a lot in. I’m actually in Vancouver this week for work but always build on 2 days at the front and at the end so my wife can come along. I wouldn’t class it as a big city but if the sun shines here I know I’ve not been to a more beautiful city anywhere in the world, and if you tag on The Rockies you’ll need 2 weeks to do it all.

Great - you certainly crammed a lot in. I’m actually in Vancouver this week for work but always build on 2 days at the front and at the end so my wife can come along. I wouldn’t class it as a big city but if the sun shines here I know I’ve not been to a more beautiful city anywhere in the world, and if you tag on The Rockies you’ll need 2 weeks to do it all.
    Thanks again, you and tdob are lucky fellas, living in such a beautiful country. I've booked my 'biggie' for next year to Krabi but will look to do the East coast and the Rockies in 2020 if health and finances are good to me.

If you've not been go to the Keg steakhouse on the Esplanade, and order the battered cauliflower (wow) before a big juicy steak. It really is one of the best places we have ever eaten.

You could also make a quick visit to the Goose brewery on the corner (my favorite beer in the world)

Look at me giving you advice on your own city

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by tdob (in Toronto) View Post
    Shame Toronto FC weren't in town, could have helped sort you out a ticket, always looking for someone to talk Cardiff with
    Aargh ! was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, didn't know! I used to work for Celestica out at Don Mills they used to have corporate Leafs tickets but they were like gold dust. Seen the Blue Jays a few times.

Next passing through in October, I'll give you a shout.

I've got 4 days in Vancouver followed by 10 day loop to Jasper / Banff end Sept / early Oct (Burnley home, Spurs away). I'd welcome any tips. Q: is the Whale watching worth it?

Vancouver - Kamloops - Banff - Jasper - Revelstoke - Kelowna - Vancouver loop, travel 1 stay 1

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I've got 4 days in Vancouver followed by 10 day loop to Jasper / Banff end Sept / early Oct (Burnley home, Spurs away). I'd welcome any tips. Q: is the Whale watching worth it?

Vancouver - Kamloops - Banff - Jasper - Revelstoke - Kelowna - Vancouver loop, travel 1 stay 1
    I’m guessing you’ll have a car

If it’s not too late to make some tweaks to your itinerary I’d consider this

In Vancouver there’s tons to do and amazing places to eat and drink

Go up Grouse Mountain
    Hire bikes and ride around Stanley Park
    Drive up the Sea to Sky highway to Whistler and make sure you stop and go on the Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish

If you have budget I’d get a sea plane over to Victoria on Vancouver Island (about $100 each way but a truly fantastic experience taking off and landing on water)

On Vancouver Island head to Fisherman’s Wharf and book yourself a whale watching tour. It’s an absolute must do. Have fish and chips at Fisherman’s Wharf s well!!!

If you don’t fly take the car ferry over from Tsawassen to Sidney and do a bit of exploring of the Island. It really needs 2 days but you can cover a bit in one (whale watching is 4 hours though)

Your route is good but I’d probably give Kelowna a miss nd focus more on Penticton and the Okangan Lake.

You’ll also want to spend more than 2 days along the Ice Parkway - I’d go Jasper first and drop down to Banff but mayb stay in Canmore instead of Banff (less touristy as a base) but gorgeous.

You’ll want to visit Lke Louise obviously BUT the most beautiful lake of all is Moraine Lake. If you miss it you’ll really be missing out. Hire a canoe for an hour. It’s $100 but the best $100 I’ve possibly ever spent. Fantastic experience

Happy to help with more but maybe PM me nearer the time

I’m guessing you’ll have a car

If it’s not too late to make some tweaks to your itinerary I’d consider this

In Vancouver there’s tons to do and amazing places to eat and drink

Go up Grouse Mountain
    Hire bikes and ride around Stanley Park
    Drive up the Sea to Sky highway to Whistler and make sure you stop and go on the Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish

If you have budget I’d get a sea plane over to Victoria on Vancouver Island (about $100 each way but a truly fantastic experience taking off and landing on water)

On Vancouver Island head to Fisherman’s Wharf and book yourself a whale watching tour. It’s an absolute must do. Have fish and chips at Fisherman’s Wharf s well!!!

If you don’t fly take the car ferry over from Tsawassen to Sidney and do a bit of exploring of the Island. It really needs 2 days but you can cover a bit in one (whale watching is 4 hours though)

Your route is good but I’d probably give Kelowna a miss nd focus more on Penticton and the Okangan Lake.

You’ll also want to spend more than 2 days along the Ice Parkway - I’d go Jasper first and drop down to Banff but mayb stay in Canmore instead of Banff (less touristy as a base) but gorgeous.

You’ll want to visit Lke Louise obviously BUT the most beautiful lake of all is Moraine Lake. If you miss it you’ll really be missing out. Hire a canoe for an hour. It’s $100 but the best $100 I’ve possibly ever spent. Fantastic experience

Happy to help with more but maybe PM me nearer the time
    If you don't work for the Canadian tourist board you should do ! After reading your posts re Vancouver, I need to go there as opposed to want.