+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Sheeran .....

Re: Ed Sheeran .....

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    ...is a plagiarist. Thinking Out Loud, Photograph and Shape Of You to name but three.

I'm afraid that this has been going on since time immemorial.

Most youngsters these days have never even heard of Marvin Gaye and even if they have, Marv's an old fogey and Ed's cool.

...is a plagiarist. Thinking Out Loud, Photograph and Shape Of You to name but three.

Never been convinced on the Thinking Out Loud/Let's Get It On ripoff. It's the same bassline but it's such an incredibly simple progression. It wasn't first used by Gaye.

But yes, Sheeran has ripped other stuff off more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'm afraid that this has been going on since time immemorial.

Most youngsters these days have never even heard of Marvin Gaye and even if they have, Marv's an old fogey and Ed's cool.
    No ginge can ever be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I know he’s a nice guy, he can play the guitar and can sing.

But to me his tunes are instantly bland and forgettable. I just don’t get the phenomena of him and how he’s sold out so many stadiums.

‘Hi Cardiff, lets get ready to rock to my latest bland ditty about Suffolk’ ����
    He's bland. Most people don't like to be challenged or have to think too much. Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He's bland. Most people don't like to be challenged or have to think too much. Makes sense to me.
    The only plus is that he's not what would be considered conventionally attractive. So I suppose that's something positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Good reply matey!

Just as well we don't all like the same half a dozen bands innit?

You would probably shudder at me mentioning the best two live bands around between '76/79 were Hawkwind and Thin Lizzy lol
    Not at all, fairly certain I saw Hawkwind in Cardiff Castle with Curved Air, Status Quo maybe. Memory not great. Been listening to Townes Van Zandt lately which I find quite shocking, The Fall, anybody really. With live bands in the seventies I'd always give Slade a mention. Next live music for me probably Trojan Soundsystem at the Globe and hopefully the Downs Festival in Bristol, I'll get to see Nadine Shah again.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Been listening to Townes Van Zandt lately which I find quite shocking
    Why shocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Why shocking?

Can't watch the video clip, I'm on a ship offshore. Not really shocking, but not a type of music I'd have ever thought I'd enjoy. Surprised myself. Reading a book about him at the moment, bit of a hellraiser, who could, and should have had more recognition during his lifetime.
    ps What was the video clip?

Can't watch the video clip, I'm on a ship offshore. Not really shocking, but not a type of music I'd have ever thought I'd enjoy. Surprised myself. Reading a book about him at the moment, bit of a hellraiser, who could, and should have had more recognition during his lifetime.
    A song from the documentary Heartworn Highways

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartworn_Highways

Not at all, fairly certain I saw Hawkwind in Cardiff Castle with Curved Air, Status Quo maybe. Memory not great. Been listening to Townes Van Zandt lately which I find quite shocking, The Fall, anybody really. With live bands in the seventies I'd always give Slade a mention. Next live music for me probably Trojan Soundsystem at the Globe and hopefully the Downs Festival in Bristol, I'll get to see Nadine Shah again.
    I was there for that gig at Cardiff Castle (July '76), line up that day was Budgie, Curved Air, Hawkwind, Strawbs and Status Quo. Yes, I'll probably be there at the Globe for the Trojan Soundsystem too

I was there for that gig at Cardiff Castle (July '76), line up that day was Budgie, Curved Air, Hawkwind, Strawbs and Status Quo. Yes, I'll probably be there at the Globe for the Trojan Soundsystem too
    Yep I was at that one bit worse forces though I remeber thousands ironically singing along with Dave Couzens of the Strawbs "you want get me I'm part of the union "

Budge were a class act.

Reminds me of this

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yep I was at that one bit worse forces though I remeber thousands ironically singing along with Dave Couzens of the Strawbs "you want get me I'm part of the union "

Budge were a class act.
    Budgie are the best band to come out of Wales. Full stop

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Never been convinced on the Thinking Out Loud/Let's Get It On ripoff. It's the same bassline but it's such an incredibly simple progression. It wasn't first used by Gaye.

T'was written by a lady from Pontypridd ..

The Mod and Ska night at the Tramshed on 29th September should be good too, was fun last year. In aid of Teenage Cancer Trust too.

The only time i enjoyed listening to Ed Sheeran was when he sang in Game of Thrones. But Hawkwind and their Silver Machine was brilliant and brings back so many great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    A glorified busker who got lucky.
    Spot on. A classic case of the Emperor's clothes scenario methinks.

Great story teller and a great song writer who Influenced so many,but yes he had a lot of issues

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

I couldn’t be bothered to argue when you originally posted your reply, or when the news below broke. But im at a loose end now so here it is.
    https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/ed...on-1202861137/

The first time I heard “Thinking Out Loud” I was certain that it was a ripoff of “Let’s Get It On”. You, with your superior knowledge and wisdom on every conceivable subject, will naturally disagree. It must be a real bind for you being correct 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    A glorified busker who got lucky.
    He was shit in Game of Thrones too...

I couldn’t be bothered to argue when you originally posted your reply, or when the news below broke. But im at a loose end now so here it is.
    https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/ed...on-1202861137/

The first time I heard “Thinking Out Loud” I was certain that it was a ripoff of “Let’s Get It On”. You, with your superior knowledge and wisdom on every conceivable subject, will naturally disagree. It must be a real bind for you being correct 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Great story teller and a great song writer who Influenced so many,but yes he had a lot of issues

Budgie are the best band to come out of Wales. Full stop
    Amen to that, followed by Man and Sassafras, I saw all 3 on one bill down Rover way club many moons ago

The Mod and Ska night at the Tramshed on 29th September should be good too, was fun last year. In aid of Teenage Cancer Trust too.
    Can I bring my zimmer frame ska dance to the floor

I've done a bit of googling and found these songs that have the same chord progression in the same key (not necessarily the same feel*) as Let's Get It On and Thinking Out Loud. I'm not saying anyone's ripped anyone else off, just thought it was interesting. Like I said, it's a common chord sequence.

Ricky van Shelton - It Wouldn't Kill Me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_4-cma8n0

Third Time Out - Across The Miles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzBJOUTiwZs

Kenny Chesney - Touchdown Tennessee
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHlqq8dvNA

Cowboys seem to love it

Mott The Hoople - No Wheels To Ride
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdVsLZ4Vlw

Hannah Montana - Rockstar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVKpG7BkcLY

Yeah, even Hannah Montana is getting involved.

Kip Moore - Girls Like You
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7H-bSlLoqI

The Carpenters - I Won't Last A Day Without You
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt5huMICEwU

That's page 9 of Google, I'm done.

*and certainly not necessarily good