+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Sheeran .....

Ed Sheeran .....

I know he’s a nice guy, he can play the guitar and can sing.

But to me his tunes are instantly bland and forgettable. I just don’t get the phenomena of him and how he’s sold out so many stadiums.

‘Hi Cardiff, lets get ready to rock to my latest bland ditty about Suffolk’ 😃😃

Re: Ed Sheeran .....

Not a fan, but he can play on his own to tens of thousands every night. There's actually fairly few solo artists over the years who can claim that. So respect is due for that.

Went to see Elvis Costello and the Imposters in Blenheim Palace last night, now there's a singer songwriter, brilliant show. Off to see him in Wales Millennium Centre tonight, think it'll be even better indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post

But to me his tunes are instantly bland and forgettable. I just don’t get the phenomena of him and how he’s sold out so many stadiums.

Yep it does now to be a very underwhelmed music world ,where good artist like Ed become superstars, its a dumb down musical would that has left me cold .

Give these a listen much cheaper and fun :

Goats Girl
    The Blossoms
    Shady Nasty
    Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yep it does now to be a very underwhelmed music world ,where good artist like Ed become superstars, its a dumb down musical would that has left me cold .

Give these a listen much cheaper and fun :

Goats Girl
    The Blossoms
    Shady Nasty
    Shame.
    Saw the Blossoms supporting Noel G in Luxembourg. Very good, but I was a fan before, they remind me of another great band 'The Delays'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbId...W2-iw1e89q-9Es

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Went to see Elvis Costello and the Imposters in Blenheim Palace last night, now there's a singer songwriter, brilliant show. Off to see him in Wales Millennium Centre tonight, think it'll be even better indoors.
    Elvis Costello, surely one of the most over-rated performers to come out of the punk/new wave movement? And my goodness, there are plenty to choose from there!

Saw him back in the day three times, Top Rank in '77 & '78 and Sophia Gardens Pavilion in '79. Each time he was nothing more than mundane to put it mildly. The only remotely interesting part of those three gigs was when Dave Edmunds joined him and the Attractions onstage for the encore of 'Mystery Dance' at the pavilion. I only went, if you are asking why I actually went three times, because a couple of my mates at the time thought he was the bees-knees. Also do I have a propensity to go and see live bands. Sadly Costello did not live up to the hype that Sounds, NME, Melody Maker et al. were bestowing him with

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Elvis Costello, surely one of the most over-rated performers to come out of the punk/new wave movement? And my goodness, there are plenty to choose from there!

Saw him back in the day three times, Top Rank in '77 & '78 and Sophia Gardens Pavilion in '79. Each time he was nothing more than mundane to put it mildly. The only remotely interesting part of those three gigs was when Dave Edmunds joined him and the Attractions onstage for the encore of 'Mystery Dance' at the pavilion. I only went, if you are asking why I actually went three times, because a couple of my mates at the time thought he was the bees-knees. Also do I have a propensity to go and see live bands. Sadly Costello did not live up to the hype that Sounds, NME, Melody Maker et al. were bestowing him with
    Each to their own, I enjoyed both concerts. When Gary Numan wrote Our Friends Eclectic, he could have had me in mind, went to see Billy Bragg the other week, but was so impressed by the support act, Nadine Shah that I bought two of her albums. Best gig I've been to this year though was Belle and Sebastian in Aberystwyth. PiL next, Thursday at the Tramshed, better live than their recent recorded output.

‘Hi Cardiff, lets get ready to rock to my latest bland ditty about Suffolk’ ����
    He's not my cup of tea but if artists get people to shell out their hard-earned cash and in big numbers there is something to be understood. His lyrics and songs obviously mean things to a lot of people. Deriding other people's taste in music is a constant theme on here.
    For my part, original artists are more preferable to the endless plethora of tribute bands these days.

I don't get the Sheeron phenomena either but no doubt many said the same about Bob Dillon initially.

I consider myself very lucky that bands ruled when I were a lad and it was easy, and cheap, to watch live music any night of the week anywhere in Cardiff. Not so these days.

Whatever genre a youngster gets into, he/she does because others do too and with there being relatively few bands and decent music atm, IMO, Sheeron seems to have arrived at just the right time.... for him!

As for Elvis Costello, seen him a number of times at different stages in his career and is a top writer and performer.

There is a frequent discussion I have with my brother about how much someone would have to pay you to go to an Ed Sheeran concert. Current rate is about $500, which is still $250 less than it would cost someone to send me to see Adele.

Nice guy, talented but utterly mind numbing.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I don't get the Sheeron phenomena either but no doubt many said the same about Bob Dillon initially.

I consider myself very lucky that bands ruled when I were a lad and it was easy, and cheap, to watch live music any night of the week anywhere in Cardiff. Not so these days.

Whatever genre a youngster gets into, he/she does because others do too and with there being relatively few bands and decent music atm, IMO, Sheeron seems to have arrived at just the right time.... for him!

As for Elvis Costello, seen him a number of times at different stages in his career and is a top writer and performer.
    I think the opposite, there are many good bands because it's cheaper and easier to record music and it's a lot easier to find them than it was (even five years ago). Plus it's very hard to actually sell people music.

So if anything, he has become huge at a time when it's very difficult to become huge. It's the same principle as Only Fools And Horses getting 20m viewers when nothing nowadays gets those kind of figures. There's a lot more to compete with.

A glorified busker who got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    A glorified busker who got lucky.
    Singing nursery rhymes to grown ups.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Singing nursery rhymes to grown ups.
    We all buy into nursery rhymes. Identity, nationality, football club affiliation, romance, religion, familial history and many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Saw the Blossoms supporting Noel G in Luxembourg. Very good, but I was a fan before, they remind me of another great band 'The Delays'.
    I've had the chance to see them live on three occasions, but I keep putting it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We all buy into nursery rhymes. Identity, nationality, football club affiliation, romance, religion, familial history and many other things.
    Why do you waste your time travelling the world if you think all of these things are BS!

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Each to their own, I enjoyed both concerts. When Gary Numan wrote Our Friends Eclectic, he could have had me in mind, went to see Billy Bragg the other week, but was so impressed by the support act, Nadine Shah that I bought two of her albums. Best gig I've been to this year though was Belle and Sebastian in Aberystwyth. PiL next, Thursday at the Tramshed, better live than their recent recorded output.
    Good reply matey!

Just as well we don't all like the same half a dozen bands innit?

You would probably shudder at me mentioning the best two live bands around between '76/79 were Hawkwind and Thin Lizzy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Why do you waste your time travelling the world if you think all of these things are BS!
    I travel as an observer of the human condition, old fruit

Well i am looking forward to the Ed gig, taking the girls ( the 1st gig they have been to ) as they love a bit of Ed Sheeran

He is pretty inoffensive and can sing a catchy tune, whats to dislike about that

I cant stick him, but each to their own. My girls are fans and are going.

I do think he's scored somewhat of an own goal with the ticket resale thingy, as it seems he is not only hurting the scummy touts but in turn penalising his own fans too, somewhat closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

What I do find highly amusing is the shed loads of tickets available on Twickets, most of which would have been bought by parasites hoping to sell tickets on the likes of Viagogo at hugely inflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I've had the chance to see them live on three occasions, but I keep putting it off.
    I saw them in the coal exchange, years ago. I must admit I thought they had finished due to the lead singers serious illness ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I saw them in the coal exchange, years ago. I must admit I thought they had finished due to the lead singers serious illness ?
    I think it was a joke.

I saw them in the barfly. Pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think it was a joke.
    Oh, yeh, missed that one. Comedy Gold.

Like most on here I just don’t get it popular music these days is shit in my opinion I remember recording the top 40 every Sunday but it just seems like a waste of time now you have multiple radio stations with different charts and when you think 50 cent had more singles in the top 10 than the Beatles and I think jay z has more us number 1 than the Beatles Just seems ridiculous to me

...is a plagiarist. Thinking Out Loud, Photograph and Shape Of You to name but three.