+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Allen signs new 4 year contract with Stoke

Joe Allen signs new 4 year contract with Stoke

Think their stay in the Championship will be short lived!

Re: Joe Allen signs new 4 year contract with Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Think their stay in the Championship will be short lived!
    Being owned by a betting company, potentially gives them a source of money not readily available to other clubs. They need to get their brand back in the big league.

Must have been offered a bucket full of money to stay in Championship, same with Junior?

Stoke seem to be operating as if they weren't relegated - if there's any justice, they'll become another Villa.

Perhaps they are trying to do what other teams like Newcastle did, risk the first season trying to bounce back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Must have been offered a bucket full of money to stay in Championship, same with Junior?
    They've offered Joe his old wages, so he'll earn 50/60k a week next season as his new deal effectively removes any relegation wage drop.

and of course they will now get a better fee for him when clubs start calling

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Stoke seem to be operating as if they weren't relegated - if there's any justice, they'll become another Villa.
    That for me is what makes FFP nonsense , you can spend anything as long as your rich , or have a rich benefactor , certainty makes a nonsense out the words fair play , should read RFP Rich Fair Play and hurts those smaller clubs with not so much revenue or crowds trying to improve themselves .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    That for me is what makes FFP nonsense , you can spend anything as long as your rich , or have a rich benefactor , certainty makes a nonsense out the words fair play , should read RFP Rich Fair Play and hurts those smaller clubs with not so much revenue or crowds trying to improve themselves .
    It isn't nonsense. They are going for broke here Stoke and if they don't go up they will have to spend the next 2 years slashing their wage bill. Forest seemed to be doing the same, think they have just shelled out 13m on a Portuguese player.

Its a risky strategy, but it does give you 1 decent shot at promotion every 3 years.

Villa thought they could roll the dice twice and are now paying the price.

Total lack of ambition from him dropping back into the Championship.

Hes one of Wales 3 best, and most important players, and we need him plying his trade in the Premier League.

People complain about a lack of loyalty in football nowadays and as soon as a player shows loyalty people are complaining! You can't win!

Good on him I say. Nice to see a player sticking it out at their current club for a change. A season in the championship isnt going to do him in any harm either, he will still be class for us and thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    People complain about a lack of loyalty in football nowadays and as soon as a player shows loyalty people are complaining! You can't win!
    If youd like to show me where I complained about a lack of loyalty in football please?

Middlesbrough had the same strategy last season. Monk spunked £50m to 'guarantee' promotion. It didn't really work that well for them

Next season's championship has a strong West Brom, Boro, Derby, Swansea (they'll be up there), Sheff Weds, Forest and Birmingham will be better. Preston, Norwich and Ipswich are never easy.

Stoke aren't guaranteeing anything

I imagine Boro must be sailing pretty close to the wind themselves in terms of FFP. Real pressure on them to go up next season unless they start making some cut backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozoni Wam View Post
    It isn't nonsense. They are going for broke here Stoke and if they don't go up they will have to spend the next 2 years slashing their wage bill. Forest seemed to be doing the same, think they have just shelled out 13m on a Portuguese player.

Its a risky strategy, but it does give you 1 decent shot at promotion every 3 years.

Villa thought they could roll the dice twice and are now paying the price.
    Sh*t or bust

might aswell go " all in " at the 1st attempt

makes it a little exciting for the Stokies aswell, look at Newcastle, they went all in the ran away with the Championship when they came down

Good on him I say. Nice to see a player sticking it out at their current club for a change. A season in the championship isnt going to do him in any harm either, he will still be class for us and thats all that matters.
    He's 28, will turn 29 next season. I want him playing against the best, so his standards are kept high. He should play at the highest level he can, especially as he'd walk into a lot of PL sides.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Sh*t or bust

makes it a little exciting for the Stokies aswell, look at Newcastle, they went all in the ran away with the Championship when they came down
    I'd probably want us to do the same If i'm honest. I think Stoke will go straight back up with that squad. And if they dont, the last two parachute payments should give them enough breathing space to get their finances back under control (assuming they dont do a villa).

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's 28, will turn 29 next season. I want him playing against the best, so his standards are kept high. He should play at the highest level he can, especially as he'd walk into a lot of PL sides.
    So do I, but looking at the positives he will be playing regularly and assuming Stoke have a good season that will benefit his confidence when he links up with Wales.

I'd probably want us to do the same If i'm honest. I think Stoke will go straight back up with that squad. And if they dont, the last two parachute payments should give them enough breathing space to get their finances back under control (assuming they dont do a villa).

Indeed

I want us to throw a little more money at staying in the prem, once again, Sh*t or bust, i dont like this theory of playing a sensible game and we will be financially stronger if we go down as we will have this seasons money to pay off debts, we owe Vinnie far too much money to worry about it

No, we need to keep spending to a minimum this season. Then assuming we get relegated we can go to town next summer assembling a bad ass team in the championship. We could spend another £60m this summer and still go down with our current squad so it would be dangerous for us to go down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Total lack of ambition from him dropping back into the Championship.

Hes one of Wales 3 best, and most important players, and we need him plying his trade in the Premier League.
    Spot on. We need our best players regularly starting in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Sh*t or bust

They had a far better base than Stoke, and a world class manager in Rafa.

International

^^^^this!

they did, but in for a penny and all that

no point being sat in the championship

No, we need to keep spending to a minimum this season. Then assuming we get relegated we can go to town next summer assembling a bad ass team in the championship. We could spend another £60m this summer and still go down with our current squad so it would be dangerous for us to go down that path.
    I agree, but we do have to spend some to give us a chance as we are fortunate that 3 fairly decent clubs came down, leaving the PL a bit weaker maybe than usual, so hopefully we can capitalise on that by finishing out of the bottom 3.