+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FT: TUNISIA 1 - 2 ENGLAND. Match thread

Re: FT: TUNISIA 1 - 2 ENGLAND. Match thread

I was talking about England fans making negative comments. Try reading the thread.

I couldn't care less if Welsh people want them to lose or win.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I was talking about England fans making negative comments. Try reading the thread.

I couldn't care less if Welsh people want them to lose or win.
    Fair enough, I was referring to another thread I'd read by you, I should have put it on there.

I think with the English negativity it's a defence mechanism.
    Let's be honest, most City fans are the same. It mitigates the heartache.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought England were an interesting brake from the norm of this World Cup so far in terms of they way they started the game and there was a potential there for a good run in the tournament, but I would have thought better sides than Tunisia (who I agree were not as good as they were made out to be) would find ways of making life very tough for a side which, in effect, only has one central midfielder in Henderson.

If they were defending with a classic English style deep block I would be inclined to agree about only having one central midfielder being a problem, as you're sitting back and stopping the other team playing through you, which isn't a strength of players like alli or lingard.
    However that isn't how they are trying to play, they implemented a very effective high press against Tunisia, and the likes of Alli and lingard, Stirling etc are extremely good at that. The England player with the most defensive actions last night was Alli, and he always puts in a lot of work pressing for spurs too.

Of course, players who have better control and can get out of tight situations are much harder to press effectively, so the likes of Belgium and Brazil will be obviously more challenging, but the Tunisia players seemed technically good so it seemed to be functioning well.

They might put an extra traditional holding midfielder in against the better sides and play dier and Henderson, but I'd like to see them stick to their guns and trust their pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought England were an interesting brake from the norm of this World Cup so far in terms of they way they started the game and there was a potential there for a good run in the tournament, but I would have thought better sides than Tunisia (who I agree were not as good as they were made out to be) would find ways of making life very tough for a side which, in effect, only has one central midfielder in Henderson.
    They need a number 10 like Scholes in the hole ,they lack the accurate passer into the box , if they had that they would be contenders

Ruben Loftus cheek can play number 10 really well. Ali can too but looks like he’s playing a bit deeper

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    They need a number 10 like Scholes in the hole ,they lack the accurate passer into the box , if they had that they would be contenders
    Even without someone playing that kind of role, if they were moving the ball.as snappily as Spain were the other day whilst maintaining the press they would be a very good team

I think the signs look great for them going forward. I'd say they're a couple of midfielders away from becoming a top top side.

They'll soon have players like Phil Foden and Mason Mount bursting onto the scene who could potentially play the role that Silva and De Bruyne play for City, if they can add a more intelligent pivot too they'll take some beating.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You've made your point about the negative comments before, we get it and good on you for thinking that way, though how you can make the last point I don't know. Do you know every poster personally?

I see nothing wrong with having a swipe at our arch rivals every four years, especially when we are not involved.
    England doing badly means a lot to people who love and watch football, probably as much to those that are English and love the game. For years we have had to suffer condescending comments and biased propaganda on our tv screens.

Regarding their chances, I think they are playing it down, and quite cunningly.
    Struggled to break down "lesser opposition" Tunisia as did Germany and Spain, but got 3 points to ease the pressure.

We have seen it before, scrape a few wins and a team will grow in confidence.
    I expect them to qualify and progress but that shouldn't stop people looking for negatives, it's the next best thing to Wales qualifying...

Let's have them out ASAP!
    Whether it's a World Cup or a European Championships, it's so much more enjoyable when they've been knocked out. The tournament can then be enjoyed for what it is. Some of the tosh that was being spouted before, during and after last night's game was incredible.

Someone mentioned "chip on the shoulder" earlier. There are obviously some decent, level-headed English football fans - I know a few - but others (including the majority of the media) have a huge superiority complex when it comes to the national football team; a real sense of entitlement when the supposed smaller fish don't roll over and let England win. As a Welshman, I can't stand the constant hype we are subjected to at times like these and as you say, it does mean a lot to me when they fail. I get more pleasure from seeing City and Wales win, but I do love a good old English sporting post-mortem. Hopefully we'll have another one very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Whether it's a World Cup or a European Championships, it's so much more enjoyable when they've been knocked out. The tournament can then be enjoyed for what it is. Some of the tosh that was being spouted before, during and after last night's game was incredible.

Someone mentioned "chip on the shoulder" earlier. There are obviously some decent, level-headed English football fans - I know a few - but others (including the majority of the media) have a huge superiority complex when it comes to the national football team; a real sense of entitlement when the supposed smaller fish don't roll over and let England win. As a Welshman, I can't stand the constant hype we are subjected to at times like these and as you say, it does mean a lot to me when they fail. I get more pleasure from seeing City and Wales win, but I do love a good old English sporting post-mortem. Hopefully we'll have another one very soon.
    I think a lot of the arrogance has been knocked out of the football fans over the years, almost all of them accept that quarter finals is a decent tournament these days.
    But I've seen some pathetic responses from Welsh and Scottish fans to normal celebrations from England fans after last night. They scored a last minute goal to win their opening world cup game and give themselves a great chance of getting out of the group. If it was the other way around we would be loving it.
    If anything the English response has been surprisingly muted. They have been by far the most critical of their own performance, but I guess that comes from being burned too many times before.

My only concern is Maguire and Walker don't look comfortable/natural in a 3 and I think better sides will batter them down the flanks.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    My only concern is Maguire and Walker don't look comfortable/natural in a 3 and I think better sides will batter them down the flanks.
    Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think a lot of the arrogance has been knocked out of the football fans over the years, almost all of them accept that quarter finals is a decent tournament these days.
    But I've seen some pathetic responses from Welsh and Scottish fans to normal celebrations from England fans after last night. They scored a last minute goal to win their opening world cup game and give themselves a great chance of getting out of the group. If it was the other way around we would be loving it.
    If anything the English response has been surprisingly muted. They have been by far the most critical of their own performance, but I guess that comes from being burned too many times before.
    Are they forgetting our mini pitch invasion after scoring in the last minute away to Andorra

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Whether it's a World Cup or a European Championships, it's so much more enjoyable when they've been knocked out.
    For you, maybe. For the majority of football fans in the UK (and in Wales)? I somehow doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    For you, maybe. For the majority of football fans in the UK (and in Wales)? I somehow doubt it.
    Northern Ireland, definitely. Scotland (and Wales), I somehow doubt it.

I'd say the majority of football fans in Scotland & Wales would rather see England go out than win it, obviously the majority in the UK would like to see England win it as they outnumber us massively although England don't seem to be enthralled by the national team anymore

For me, I'd take the World Cup and European Championships over the Champions League any day but it seems that international football is seeing its status decreased

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'd say the majority of football fans in Scotland & Wales would rather see England go out than win it, obviously the majority in the UK would like to see England win it as they outnumber us massively although England don't seem to be enthralled by the national team anymore
    In the case of of football fans in Scotland you are undoubtedly correct, but in Wales I'd be very surprised if that's true. In my experience, it's not the case at all. Of course, we have no way of knowing for sure.

In the case of of football fans in Scotland you are undoubtedly correct, but in Wales I'd be very surprised if that's true. In my experience, it's not the case at all. Of course, we have no way of knowing for sure.
    We know for Scotland:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/06/14...tball-team-lo/

How big the sample size is, I don't know. Living in England, I'd suggest that the numbers wanting Scotland to lose as well, is a little low.