+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: TUNISIA 1 - 2 ENGLAND. Match thread

Re: FT: TUNISIA 1 - 2 ENGLAND. Match thread

The complete 180 from the commentators as soon as England scored is laughable, they've gone from slating the players to saying Kane will win the Golden Boot! They got out of jail there, for all their good football in the opening half an hour that second half was up there with the worst seen at this World Cup

What was that defender doing at the end? I understand you want to play it out at the back, but when you're in the 90th minute clinging onto a 1-1, just clear the ball!

Re: TUNISIA V ENGLAND. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I don't want to be a parrot but as the penny has yet to drop at your end, I'm grizzling because the line-up is exclusively English... why not include someone with an insight into Tunisian or African football? You're usually very keen on diversity but not this evening.
    Warnock is on Tunisian TV as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Warnock is on Tunisian TV as we speak.
    He has a point, it doesn't have to be a Tunisian or even an African, just somebody who's impartial to stop the circle jerk

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The complete 180 from the commentators as soon as England scored is laughable, they've gone from slating the players to saying Kane will win the Golden Boot! They got out of jail there, for all their good football in the opening half an hour that second half was up there with the worst seen at this World Cup

What was that defender doing at the end? I understand you want to play it out at the back, but when you're in the 90th minute clinging onto a 1-1, just clear the ball!
    It is like listening to a couple of louts down the pub. Contradicting themselves at every opportunity.

Alright, lads?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    WTF is the matter with people. The paranoia is ridiculous Iran vs Morocco was a sticky as has every game. The small country syndrome is embarrassing at times.

I was glad to see them go out in the Euros cos we were there but I couldn't give a shit in this tournament.
    I agree. No wonder the English take the pizz out of us.

I thought England were excellent, press worked really well, should have won 3 or 4 -1.
    England were fluid in formation, and completely strangled the game in the second half. I was impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It is like listening to a couple of louts down the pub. Contradicting themselves at every opportunity.
    Oh, and if it was Wales and Bale had scored two , would the same victrol would not be the same???

Thanks Mike Morris for these stickies its great

I can now see why Warnock likes to play the way he does. England were fannying about in MF when the ball needed to get down the wings and in the box. Tunisia could not have coped.
    If they had been more direct England would have won in a canter.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I can now see why Warnock likes to play the way he does. England were fannying about in MF when the ball needed to get down the wings and in the box. Tunisia could not have coped.
    If they had been more direct England would have won in a canter.
    I'm not sure, we really struggle against teams who get men behind the ball, remember Preston and Derby games last season.
    That was a pretty good performance from England.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm not sure, we really struggle against teams who get men behind the ball, remember Preston and Derby games last season.
    I didn't see all the first half when England did look decent, but I did think there was too much backward and sideways passing in the second when a more direct approach against a dodgy looking Tunisian defence may have been better.
    They will have to up their game to beat Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I didn't see all the first half when England did look decent, but I did think there was too much backward and sideways passing in the second when a more direct approach against a dodgy looking Tunisian defence may have been better.
    They will have to up their game to beat Belgium.
    Getting it forward quickly is effective when it gets your attackers in space against a disorganised defence - second half tunisia weren't committing anyone forward so being direct in that situation would have been playing into their hands.
    They were a little to slow at passing at times, if they were a bit snappier then they would have probably make more openings in the second half.

Belgium are an excellent team, who will carry a much greater attacking threat, and who have strong dribblers who will be much more difficult to counterpress, will obviously be a much harder game but will be interesting.

They should play vardy against Belgium and just try and catch them on the break

England made hard work of winning the game,they need to shoot more rather than walk the ball into the net, and need Bale! but loved the colour of their kit!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Oh, and if it was Wales and Bale had scored two , would the same victrol would not be the same???
    Would Guy Mowbray had gone from slating Declan John to saying Bale would win the Golden Boot? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Really? They looked good at the start of the first half but completely faded in the second and got out of jail courtesy of some kamikaze defending from a very disappointing Tunisia side

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    They should play vardy against Belgium and just try and catch them on the break
    Yes if Belgium come at them there will be space for England's fast boys, and they have a few , however I suspect England and Belgium will play out a boring European draw, as a result of them both winming their next game.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes if Belgium come at them there will be space for England's fast boys, and they have a few , however I suspect England and Belgium will play out a boring European draw, as a result of them both winming their next game.
    If that's the case England will have to go for goals against Panama as I can see Belgium sticking 2 or 3 on Tunisia

I thought England were an interesting brake from the norm of this World Cup so far in terms of they way they started the game and there was a potential there for a good run in the tournament, but I would have thought better sides than Tunisia (who I agree were not as good as they were made out to be) would find ways of making life very tough for a side which, in effect, only has one central midfielder in Henderson.

Deserved win and should have had a couple of penalties, does var not look at that and see Kane wrestled to the ground?

Have potential to do well based on all matches I've seen but I'm sure a couple of the better nations can play better than what they've shown so far.

Most England fans I've spoken to seem strangely negative about last night. I thought it was a really good performance. Dominated the game, didn't panic and throw on 2 more strikers and start launching hopeful balls into the box. They kept playing and got what they deserved.
    If it had finished 3 or 4 nil nobody would have been saying that it had flattered them.

I thought they were one of the better sides I've seen, I don't think they'll win it but they played well last night and they have decent options on the bench.

Most of the negative opinions I'v heard have been from people who never watch a game of football until the world cup comes round.

I thought England showed potential and were excellent in the first 20 minutes. I don't think it was just a case of Tunisia dropping deep that stopped them being so effective though.

There is a major confidence issue that flows through the England team when they hit a stumbling block. They seem t lack confidence and resilience and it's like they are visualising the Sun and Mail headlines throughout the game.

Some of lack of composure in great positions yesterday has got to be a cause for concern.

I remember when I was a kid in school I used to fear fighting kids who I was expected to beat more the kids who were expected to give me a pasting. Perhaps this will be the case with England and they can take the chains off when they play the likes of Germany, Brazil etc.

I do think there were loads of positives for them though. I thought Southgate got the team and tactics spot on amd it was actually good to see an England team who looked tactically aware amd comfortable on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I thought they were one of the better sides I've seen, I don't think they'll win it but they played well last night and they have decent options on the bench.

Most of the negative opinions I'v heard have been from people who never watch a game of football until the world cup comes round.
    You've made your point about the negative comments before, we get it and good on you for thinking that way, though how you can make the last point I don't know. Do you know every poster personally?

I see nothing wrong with having a swipe at our arch rivals every four years, especially when we are not involved.
    England doing badly means a lot to people who love and watch football, probably as much to those that are English and love the game. For years we have had to suffer condescending comments and biased propaganda on our tv screens.

Regarding their chances, I think they are playing it down, and quite cunningly.
    Struggled to break down "lesser opposition" Tunisia as did Germany and Spain, but got 3 points to ease the pressure.

We have seen it before, scrape a few wins and a team will grow in confidence.
    I expect them to qualify and progress but that shouldn't stop people looking for negatives, it's the next best thing to Wales qualifying...

Let's have them out ASAP!