+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Healey RIP

Ron Healey RIP

A number of social media posts in the Manchester area say that Ron Healey has passed away aged 65

The City keeper that I grew up supporting when I was a kid.

Re: Ron Healey RIP

That's such sad news. Like yourself Mike, I started following the City when Ron Healey was goalkeeper, he was an excellent 'keeper too.

RIP Ron Healey

Gosh
    Really shocked by this.
    Condolences to Ron's family.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That's such sad news. Like yourself Mike, I started following the City when Ron Healey was goalkeeper, he was an excellent 'keeper too.

RIP Ron Healey
    We had probably the two best keepers ever to play for us at that time in Healey and Bill Irwin.

Really sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    We had probably the two best keepers ever to play for us at that time in Healey and Bill Irwin.

Really sad news.
    Agreed, brilliant goalies the pair of them, RIP Ron, probably the best goalie we've ever had.

Sad news , RIP Ron Healey ....commiserations to his family and friends

I always judge every city goalie rightly or wrongly against Bill Irwin and Ron Healey.65 is no age.RIP.

Sad news. Like many of us, he was the keeper when I first started to watch the City. I remember an article way back then where he explained that he preferred to throw the ball to a team mate rather than hoof it up the field as the throw as more likely to ensure we kept possession. Way before modern thinking.
    RIP

Ron was far too young to be taken. RIP.

My condolences to Ron's family and friends.

Neil

A great servant to City, I loved watching him. We were lucky to have Ron and Bill Irwin at the same time. I think he retired through injury and went to work at Manchester airport , then later set up a goalkeeping school. I think only Tom Farquharson and David Marshall played more League games in goal for City.

RIP Ron.

I always found it hard to decide who was the best out of Ron Healey and Bill Irwin. While Irwin was, for me, the more spectacular of the two and was capable of making some brilliant saves on occasions, I think it might be fair to say that Healey was considered the steadier of the two and I always had the feeling that he was the one the City managers of that time would tend to turn to in a crisis.

My first memory of Healey upon hearing today's sad news was not a City one, but of him being chipped by Kevin Keegan for a wonderful goal in an England v Republic of Ireland match at Wembley in one of two games he played for his adopted country - to be honest, while Irwin had that "save of the season" in the FA Cup match with Leeds, I'm struggling to remember one save from Healey's City career to remember him by, it was more that with him between the sticks, you knew we had a dependable and very capable performer there.

RIP to Ron Healey, one of the best City keepers I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I always found it hard to decide who was the best out of Ron Healey and Bill Irwin. While Irwin was, for me, the more spectacular of the two and was capable of making some brilliant saves on occasions, I think it might be fair to say that Healey was considered the steadier of the two and I always had the feeling that he was the one the City managers of that time would tend to turn to in a crisis.

My first memory of Healey upon hearing today's sad news was not a City one, but of him being chipped by Kevin Keegan for a wonderful goal in an England v Republic of Ireland match at Wembley in one of two games he played for his adopted country - to be honest, while Irwin had that "save of the season" in the FA Cup match with Leeds, I'm struggling to remember one save from Healey's City career to remember him by, it was more that with him between the sticks, you knew we had a dependable and very capable performer there.

RIP to Ron Healey, one of the best City keepers I've seen.
    My favourite City season was 75-76, Ron was our keeper then,he was part of that never to be forgotten night at home against Hereford, so many memories of that season culminating in hugging Stan Stennett up at Bury after the last match and bumping into Alun Evans the dart player outside the ground, RIP Ron, a quality keeper.

That's spoilt my day reading that news. I'm another who spent most of the seventies watching Ron and Bill fight it out for the green shirt. But as TOBW has already said my strongest memory of Ron was Keegan chipping him at Wembley. RIP Ron. You'll never be forgotten down the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    A number of social media posts in the Manchester area say that Ron Healey has passed away aged 65

The City keeper that I grew up supporting when I was a kid.

Now that is sad best keeper I saw in a City shirt as a younger lad , awful news, RIP Ron the mighty

Ron Healey
    Personal information
    Full name Ronald Healey
    Date of birth 30 August 1952 (age 65)
    Place of birth Manchester, England
    Playing position Goalkeeper
    Senior career*
    Years Team Apps (Gls)
    1970–1974 Manchester City 30 (0)
    1972 → Coventry City (loan) 3 (0)
    1973–1974 → Preston North End (loan) 6 (0)
    1974–1982 Cardiff City 216 (0)
    National team
    1977–1980 Republic of Ireland 2 (0)
    * Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only

I remember as a 7 year old, going to my first game, and being quite disappointed that Bill Irwin was playing and not Ron Healey, as he was my favourite player.

RIP Ron

Solid all round keeper at a time when like everyone is saying we had two very good keepers funny thing is my greatest recollection of Ron was his warm up he used to do keepy ups and flick the ball up and catch it on his shoulder blades.Please tell me someone else remembers this to

Along with Phil Dwyer, they were my two all time favourite players in a city shirt. RIP Ron.

Yes, Ron was the first keeper I fondly remember when growing up. I remember 'caddying' for him at our local golf club shortly after he was chipped by Keegan (I think?) when playing for Eire at Wembley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEPnkHqpv4s

Was a sub and only in goal for the second

RIP Ron - He was Goalie when I first started watching city in'76

Testament to Ron is that only David Marshall in the last 40 years has been mentioned in the same category of class as him.

RIP to one of the players that when I was I lad I knew was damn good.

First Team

My favourite City keeper.
    He helped coach our u14 team a couple of times and was an inspiration to us star stuck kids.
    So pleased when he got his call up for the Republic only to be ruined by Keegan and that chipped goal.
    RIP.

I remember Ron - fantastic keeper - RIP Bluebird

Fantastic keeper and also a true gent.RIP sir.

top keeper as said above 75-76 great season my favourite RIP