33 63.46%
  • Other

1 1.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England

England

How do you feel about England in tournaments

Re: England

I always enjoy watching them becasue they're a home nation so there's a bit more interest, especially as I lived in englad for 12 years. I don't usually feel like I want them to lose but I wonder if that's because I don't think they'll win the whole thing anyway.

I find this current side and manager much more likeable than any previous ones, Southgate seems quite an intelligent and down to earth guy and most of the squad seem the same. They were much easier to dislike when they had Joe Hart playing for them

For me my own arc of England support is - 1990 world cup is about the first football tournament I can remember, and I was absolutely gutted when they lost.

By the late 90s , early 2000 I wanted them to lose every match and couldn't stand them. But for me, there is no real pleasure to be derived from such bitterness.

These days I enjoy watching as an interested neutral, I probably want them to win more than they lose, but the same would apply to Brazil, Spain and a few others. And I won't feel anything when they exit the tournament.

Very similar for me, I was 10 when Euro 96 was on and wanted them to win it and was gutted when they lost in 98. Never got too caught up with wanting them to lose every match but there was definitely a period when I did. I’m definitely more neutral with them these days and just enjoy the matches.

Although I was around in 66, 1970 was the first WC I remember well and cried when they blew a 2 nil lead against Germany.

I was also cheering England in 96 against Germany and was actually gutted they lost.

Thank feck I came to my senses not long after

For as long as I can remember I’ve always wanted them to lose which comes from my grandfather (taught me well) I can’t really remember 1990 or 1994 but I was the only one happy in 1996 when they lost where I watched it in a family members house

I have lived (and worked) in England almost all my life.

My partner is English.

Most of my friends are English.

I like where I live.

I like Gareth Southgate.

But.... I want England to lose every game they play.

It's not hatred - just local rivalry and a lifetime of being insulted, ignored or patronised by a noisy minority of England fans.

I have tried watching England matches and wanting them to win, but I just can't do it. Not in my DNA.

I feel nothing for them, but I still end up watching them anyway. I have no idea why this happens and I wish it would stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    How do you feel about England in tournaments
    90 was the first World Cup I remember and is still my favourite because of England’s run, which was very exciting at the time. I was only a kid but I don’t remember any animosity towards that team- I certainly wanted them to win that shootout and I think everyone else around me did too. Same goes for 96 I think.

By the 00’s that had changed: I generally wanted them to do well going into tournaments but the ridiculous sense of self entitlement meant I was relieved when they bowed out. I think the major turning point was the premiership. The hyperinflation of players pay meant mediocre players were on superstar wages and expectations rose in line with salary rather than ability. Teams who were no more able than that 1990 squad went into tournaments with the expectation of getting to the semis at least, because they were considered the best players in the world based on the flawed logic and assumption that the Premier league had the best teams and players in the world.

We still have a lot of that today, the pundits speak fluent premier league but know nothing of players in other leagues and seem surprised when they turn out to be as capable as the lauded stars of the self-declared best league in the world. But to be fair I do think Southgate has played a blinder in resetting expectations and picking a team rather than individuals. I’ve never seen trippier before but he looked great yesterday and I’m looking forward to watching them again against Belgium. That first 30 mins was as good as I’ve seen at the World Cup so far.

We play in the English league with mostly English players and an English Manager and support staff.Most English people supported us in the Euros so I see no problem in supporting them as the only UK team in the World Cup.I also attend Wales home matches unlike half our supporters and am a proud Welshman and proud to be British!

I try not to watch England and treat them as a foreign nation and nothing to do with me. Although, if just a purely football decision, this is the easiest England team to wish well due to many likeable things - earnest manager, seemingly only die-hards out there and a young, skillful team saying all the right things and playing exciting football.

But i can't forget being in the Millennium stadium watching Team GB play football and hear someone shout out "come on England!" behind me. There is a wider lack of respect, lack of recognition of Wales and Welsh culture, even sadly from a good proportionate of Welsh people, and there is more a need to focus on building up ourselves (selling out campaign tickets for a sporting example) than can be gained by growing closer to the UK at this time. There is still an arrogance of English based media who cover this tournament as England games plus other games where we can talk about England at half-time, or the lack of interest in Jayne Ludlow's side being top of their group, or the Mail article about England taking a "UK" team to the Olympics.....a seemingly regular occurrence of making decisions that result in knocking back Wales.

We are neutrals at this tournament. I can't support England although many others will find a reason they can.

Unless you have some decent affiliation, no-one should really support them or anyone else for that matter, surely? You watch out of interest or for the pleasure of it. If they were swashbuckling or exciting to watch you wouldn't mind if they won perhaps, but until our team gets there and you watch in an uptight ball of nerves and crushing disappointment when Sturridge scores an injury time winner or celebrate with wild abandon when Vokes seals the win then you're just a fly-by-night, glory hunting part timer and I thought we didn't like those.

It would be interesting to see how many Welsh fans who like England to do well "because they're one of the home nations" also like Swansea to do well "because they're Welsh"?

A few posters saying how they wanted them to do well up until late 90s early 00s. It coincides with the explosion of money in Football and the media’s behaviour around that time. I remember supporting them at Euro 96 and France 98, but I was 10 and 12 at the time, so maybe I was yet to wisen up.

I want them to lose every game, and no I don't hate England or English people, its just a rivalry, would I support Bristol City or Swansea City in the FA Cup after we got knocked out? Of course not.

They don't help themselves mind, they take the piss all year round of us not being there and now whinge that we don't support them! Its a sign of the arrogance that some in England still seem to hold for no good reason. I also find it unbearable to watch at times when England are involved with the constant references to the England side and "Now let's go to the England camp"

My wife is English, my 2 girls were born in England ( but refuse to accept ANY of the englishness they have, they are 100% Welsh )
    Most of the girls friends are English and support england, which is why the last Euro's was great with the Welsh Success, though to be fair, close to 90% of our friends were all supportive of Wales, they were well chuffed we were doing well, i had a stranger ( turned out to be a dad of one of the swimmers at our club ) come upto in town and shake my hand and say " well done last night " ( surreal )

the girls were saying over dinner that they were going to support the other teams England play, I explained to them it is much more fun to watch them get to the 1/4 finals and then lose, ideally to Germany , youngest pointed out, it a risk they would win that and get to the semi, she wasnt prepared to take the risk

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    We play in the English league with mostly English players and an English Manager and support staff.Most English people supported us in the Euros so I see no problem in supporting them as the only UK team in the World Cup.I also attend Wales home matches unlike half our supporters and am a proud Welshman and proud to be British!
    I live in London and have done for over 30 years. Let me put you straight. Not one English person supported us in the Euro's, not one, and all took great delight when we were beaten by Portugal. Hope that helps your thought process.

By the way, i voted "other", couldn't give a toss whether they win or lose but was disappointed when Kane got the winner. So maybe I'm kidding myself

As a businessman , if England do well then so does the economy, hate England rugby but the football team , I support . If they played Wales then they would feck off , but would prefer then to beat Ireland and Scotland

I lived in London when the euros were on and plenty of my mates wanted wales to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny London View Post
    I live in London and have done for over 30 years. Let me put you straight. Not one English person supported us in the Euro's, not one, and all took great delight when we were beaten by Portugal. Hope that helps your thought process.
    Oh come on, i would say 90% ( if not more ) of my English friends were supporting the Welsh when England went out

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny London View Post

By the way, i voted "other", couldn't give a toss whether they win or lose but was disappointed when Kane got the winner. So maybe I'm kidding myself
    Rubbish.

I watch and support them as I'm a supporter of any British side .

If Wales play England I support Wales,but not with the hatred that some apply .

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Rubbish.
    I know many English fans who happily shouted for us .

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I have lived (and worked) in England almost all my life.

My partner is English.

Most of my friends are English.

I like where I live.

I like Gareth Southgate.

But.... I want England to lose every game they play.

It's not hatred - just local rivalry and a lifetime of being insulted, ignored or patronised by a noisy minority of England fans.

I have tried watching England matches and wanting them to win, but I just can't do it. Not in my DNA.
    This. Just this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    As a businessman , if England do well then so does the economy, hate England rugby but the football team , I support . If they played Wales then they would feck off , but would prefer then to beat Ireland and Scotland
    So purely for greed. Cool.