+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We should never ave left this boy go....serious mistake

We should never ave left this boy go....serious mistake

Re: We should never ave left this boy go....serious mistake

So being managed by people who were better at his job but have never actually managed people who do his job. Or anyone. Sounds like McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So being managed by people who were better at his job but have never actually managed people who do his job. Or anyone. Sounds like McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    We're now in the PL. Do you honestly believe he's good enough for that? He was barely good enough for the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    We're now in the PL. Do you honestly believe he's good enough for that? He was barely good enough for the Championship.
    I’m not sure that we should have kept him. Some players need to move on to improve. He is undoubtedly benefitting from playing on a regular basis and being more confident.
    As to how good he is now, remains to be seen. But he can still improve and it’s possible that he could be a top flight player.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I’m not sure that we should have kept him. Some players need to move on to improve.
    As to how good he is now, remains to be seen. But he can still improve and it’s possible that he could be a top flight player.
    I'm sure he can improve. I don't think he'll much of an opportunity at Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I’m not sure that we should have kept him. Some players need to move on to improve. He is undoubtedly benefitting from playing on a regular basis and being more confident.
    Not good enough for the Premier league,championship maybe

Why? Just because he's managed by Giggs and Gerrard? He wasn't good enough here and didn't perform for Mackay, Kerslake, OGS, Slade, Trollope and Warnock. He might go on and "prove us wrong" but the fact is if he performed to any sort of level, we wouldn't being have this discussion. Warnock even told him that he wouldn't make it as a left back. Even the Rangers manager who signed him said he's never been coached at left back and therefore has a lot to learn!

Scott Malone got hounded out because he wasn't Declan John. Neither were fantastic but one is playing in the Prem, got in the Championship team of the season, one is playing for Rangers.

Nah we shouldn't. Best move for us and clearly best move for Declan. I'm assuming Rangers fans are now happy to overlook his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Why? Just because he's managed by Giggs and Gerrard? He wasn't good enough here and didn't perform for Mackay, Kerslake, OGS, Slade, Trollope and Warnock. He might go on and "prove us wrong" but the fact is if he performed to any sort of level, we wouldn't being have this discussion. Warnock even told him that he wouldn't make it as a left back. Even the Rangers manager who signed him said he's never been coached at left back and therefore has a lot to learn!

Scott Malone got hounded out because he wasn't Declan John. Neither were fantastic but one is playing in the Prem, got in the Championship team of the season, one is playing for Rangers.
    I've said more than enough about Declan John on here down the years, so I'll stay out of the argument this time except to say that I think it's misrepresenting things a bit to say that Scott Malone got hounded out of the club because he wasn't Declan John.
    Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but if I have then I reckon there are plenty more who have besides me - when Malone was good for City he was very good, but for every good game he played there were one, or possibly two, ordinary ones. His level of consistency improved out of all recognition at Fulham - true, some of that could probably be put down to him playing for a team which played to his strengths more than we did, but the truth as I see it was that at Fulham you could see that the apparent link with Dortmund reported at the time we signed him may not just have been agent bollox, whereas that was never the case while he was here.
    Finally, I'll break my earlier promise about Declan John to say that his career path has become an upward one again since he moved to Rangers - a move is away from City is working out well for him in the same way as it did with Scott Malone.

I always thought Declan John was decent for us, never understand why every one started slagging him off. He played well in the premier league when given the chance then was loaned out.

I think he’s another player who has a lot of talent but was let down by coaching and constant upheaval at the club at a time that was important for his development.

Would love to see him prove the club wrong for letting him go.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've said more than enough about Declan John on here down the years, so I'll stay out of the argument this time except to say that I think it's misrepresenting things a bit to say that Scott Malone got hounded out of the club because he wasn't Declan John.
    Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but if I have then I reckon there are plenty more who have besides me - when Malone was good for City he was very good, but for every good game he played there were one, or possibly two, ordinary ones. His level of consistency improved out of all recognition at Fulham - true, some of that could probably be put down to him playing for a team which played to his strengths more than we did, but the truth as I see it was that at Fulham you could see that the apparent link with Dortmund reported at the time we signed him may not just have been agent bollox, whereas that was never the case while he was here.
    Finally, I'll break my earlier promise about Declan John to say that his career path has become an upward one again since he moved to Rangers - a move is away from City is working out well for him in the same way as it did with Scott Malone.
    I agree the problem with malone was he didn’t know how to defend anyone who done their homework on us knew there was always a gap on our left and all they needed to do was play a long ball down that channel because 80% of the time malone was out of position

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Suppose my words could have been chosen better but I don't think Malone got any sort of leeway because John wasn't in the side. Eg WOL journalists asking "Can anyone seriously say Scott Malone is a better left back than Declan John". Anyway, I hope John does well but I don't think we should regret letting him go. For whatever reason, he wasn't kicking on here and maybe he needed a chance of scenery.

Scott Malone definitely got more stick than he deserved, was no where near as bad as people made out for us and has done well since he left.

The problem was most of the time he was in a side playing under a shite manager.

We have had far better left backs since John left, so I do t think it was a mistake to let him go. If he improves under Gerrard (a big if) then it would still make it the right decision as nothing suggests that would happen if he were to stay.

If Trollope had been a success with his 3-5-2 wingbacks formation then maybe, but it just didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We have had far better left backs since John left, so I do t think it was a mistake to let him go. If he improves under Gerrard (a big if) then it would still make it the right decision as nothing suggests that would happen if he were to stay.

If Trollope had been a success with his 3-5-2 wingbacks formation then maybe, but it just didn't happen
    Declan John was going nowhere as a full back under this manager because he never fitted the description of what Neil Warnock believes a full back should be. From memory, he was used more as a winger in the few first team matches he featured in under Warnock and I definitely saw him play there for the Development team more than I did at full back in his final few months at City.

Trollope dropped John a few games in when he was still playing 3-5-2/3-4-2-1. Good luck to him but I don't think he'd have kicked on here. Warnock's made Bennett into a far better left back than John will never be in my opinion, and I'm not sure if Warnock is completely enamoured with Joe!

Malone and John are both poor. I'd rather Bennett and Cunningham.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Trollope dropped John a few games in when he was still playing 3-5-2/3-4-2-1. Good luck to him but I don't think he'd have kicked on here. Warnock's made Bennett into a far better left back than John will never be in my opinion, and I'm not sure if Warnock is completely enamoured with Joe!
    I don't think warnock made Bennett into a better left back than John, he already was. He was quite highly rated when we signed him.

I don't think warnock made Bennett into a better left back than John, he already was. He was quite highly rated when we signed him.
    He was already better but he's kicked on even more. Bennett can defend now, which he was a bit suspect at doing originally.

I always wanted to see Declan succeed but was never convinced that he could defend effectively, it was about positioning as much as the ability to tackle,some just seem to have it naturally, Gary Bell being a prime example and boy could he go forward as well,to quote my son in law about Scott Malone, he always felt he had a ricket in him!.I hope to see a lot more of Jazz Richards this season,for me he has that ability to read the game which gives an edge against better quality opposition..

LMFAO - how did his loan stints in League One go, eh?

Prem quality, clearly...

EDIT: Too many bellends fap furiously over the fact he's gasp Welsh and ignore the fact he's just not that good, certainly not for the Prem.

John made his debut in our first PL season and was OK for a while. But he is good going forward but not a very good defensive full back. He went backwards then for a few years, so a move was good for him. Don't forgot he's playing in Scotland so the standard is about the same as League 1, so it was a step down for him. But to be fair he may have had to take that step before rising again. How he has played for Wales again I have no idea, unless Dummett was not available. From what I've heard I don;'t think City had a shirt big enough for his ego.

He went because he wasn't good enough, is there anything more to say.

He played 31 games last season, that's plenty of opportunity