+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Woman Commentator

Re: Woman Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    That's equality my dear, there have been plenty of threads on here over the years saying men are crap at things, you didn't see me or Auntie Andy complaining did you?
    Thank you sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Bloody hell, go out for a couple of hours and the PC brigade turns up. The only reason they have a female commentator is because of all this PC crap, not because she/they are good enough. If a person MAN or WOMAN deserves a position they should get it, not because it’s Politically Correct.
    GAMMON ALERT

She began on 19 June 1960, but BBC Audience research concluded that viewers thought a woman reading the late news was "not acceptable"[1] and she was removed from the role in March 1961.[2] She remained the only woman to have read the national news on BBC TV until 1975
    Seems like female newsreaders took a while for people to get used to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've been on the phone to EE for the last hour or so ranting on about their garbage service, so didn't get to hear any of the commentary. There's one woman commentator whose voice I don't like and I think it might be Vicky Sparks, but I don't mind the other ones I've heard, there's quite a few male commentators whose voices I don't like - e.g. Tyldesley, Motson, Green, Drury.
    Add to that Jonathan Pearce

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Seems like female newsreaders took a while for people to get used to as well.

Probably a bit too high pitched and nasal for some.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Add to that Jonathan Pearce
    He was ok on the radio, but somehow terrible on tv

Most of the complaints seem to be about the sound of a woman's voice rather than what she's saying, so it's probably not fair at say she's not got the job on merit.
    Otherwise are we saying it's fine for women to commentate, as long as they have a voice as deep as Dave Seaman.
    If you are fragile enough that listening to a woman talking about a game ruins your enjoyment of it then the problem is probably yours not hers.

It's just a change from what people are used to, I can guarantee that the same moans were had when the first female newsreaders etc started turning up, and now nobody bats an eyelid.
    Nothing to do with voice, just don't believe any of them are up to the job on merit. PC in this country has gone overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Nothing to do with voice, just don't believe any of them are up to the job on merit. PC in this country has gone overboard.
    Then you’re a ****ing idiot then

Women commentators (or Pat Nevin) for dynamic sports, no thanks. Sedentary sports like golf or snooker, no problem. Suzi Perry is great at MotoGP, because she knows her stuff & the people involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Women commentators (or Pat Nevin) for dynamic sports, no thanks. Sedentary sports like golf or snooker, no problem. Suzi Perry is great at MotoGP, because she knows her stuff & the people involved.
    Why do you think men can do "dynamic" sports but women can't?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Probably a bit too high pitched and nasal for some.
    Personally I don't like women commentators or watching women's football, just don't enjoy it, am I bad?

Personally I don't like women commentators or watching women's football, just don't enjoy it, am I bad?
    I don’t watch women’s football. I don’t understand how you don’t like every single woman commentatos but you can like what you want.

Saying women “aren’t up to a job on merit” when there is literally nothing genetic stopping them makes someone an arse hole. It doesn’t make you an arse hole at all.

Thinking something negative about a woman doesn’t make you bad, thinking women cannot do something because there a woman does.

You’re a woman and I happen to find you one of the stupidest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of coming across. Not because you’re a women though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    A woman's voice simply doesn't match a men's football match and I'd have no problem with female commentators for women's matches.

If they're so intent on forcing PC "equality of outcome" horseshit on us then they could have 2 separate commentary teams and people could pick and choose which one to listen to.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Agree 100%
    People said this about women news readers and women commentators of other sports. Why can't people see the only reason they don't like it is it's different. why don't people ever just look at what's come before and realise change isn't bad it takes time to get used to different things.

Should women who've studied and worked hard to get into this position never get a chance to do it just? People getting a chance to do something they've worked hard and become very knowledgable in isn't PC gone mad and anyone that says it is, is just too stupid to see the bigger picture.

Getting told off for calling a blackboard a blackboard is PC gone mad, equality isn't PC gone mad it's fair!

Not bad, just behind the times.

Blog Entries

I don’t watch women’s football. I don’t understand how you don’t like every single woman commentatos but you can like what you want.

Saying women “aren’t up to a job on merit” when there is literally nothing genetic stopping them makes someone an arse hole. It doesn’t make you an arse hole at all.

Thinking something negative about a woman doesn’t make you bad, thinking women cannot do something because there a woman does.

You’re a woman and I happen to find you one of the stupidest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of coming across. Not because you’re a women though.

I did not say they were not up to any job did I? I just said I don't enjoy it.

I didn’t say you did, i was referencing the post you quoted and why I was calling him an arse hole but not you.

SuperBluebirds91

Yes I'm female before I start! It's only because we aren't used to it - that's why it may sound so different to some as men have always commentated up until recent years in football but thankgod that's changing! I think it's great to have balance of both male and female commentators on there and like anything some commentators are good and some are irritating irrespective of gender. I think that people who say they are turning the TV off or the commentating off because it's a women's voice is going way over the top about it all. its great to see a variety of people giving their views and given a chance to work within the sport that they love! I always remember when I was in school - the boys would be puzzled how I could do an over head kick, over 100 consecutive kick ups, dribble past them and catch the ball on the back of my neck. I decided to keep it quiet that I played for a local girls team until one day in PE at school, I kept scoring and the ball was like a magnet to my feet! lol but joking aside To me it's not about gender it's about love for the sport no matter who you are and that's what I love about football - it brings everyone together!

Blog Entries

Not bad, just behind the times.
    Behind the times for not liking something? should I also watch Mrs Browns boys just because everyone else (apparently) is too?

Blog Entries

I didn’t say you did, i was referencing the post you quoted and why I was calling him an arse hole but not you.
    Ok, will let you off then, like you say, I'm a bit thick

Ok, will let you off then, like you say, I'm a bit thick
    Though at least it's not because you're a woman.

I did think Vicky Sparks' voice grated a bit on the commentary - but no worse than many male commentators. Not enough to turn the sound off and have a fit of the vapours! Not like a Robert Peston, Jamie Carragher or Janet Street-Porter audio assault.

As others have said there are now a group of well established female football journalists who are regulars on TV and radio that know their stuff and do an excellent job. Gabby Logan, Kelly Cates and (for me) Jacqui Oatley are amongst the best regardless of gender, and both Alex Scott and Eni Aluko have wiped the floor with most of their male co-pundits so far this world cup. They have done their homework whilst a lot of the male pundits just turned up!

Of the regular Sky Sports match reporters in my opinion Bianca Westwood and Michelle Owen are in the top half dozen - along with Bryn Law, Matt Murray, Johnny Philips and Alan McInally. Faye Carruthers is in the Iain Dowie league.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Though at least it's not because you're a woman.

Behind the times for not liking something? should I also watch Mrs Browns boys just because everyone else (apparently) is too?
    Perfectly good reasons not to like Mrs brown's boys, the only reason I can see not to like women commentators (in general) is it's not what you are used to, hence behind the times.

Once people are used to the idea then we won't see this kind of general statement, as with newsreaders.

This thread reminds me of the commandant at the military school Lisa Simpson is trying to get into.

"In our 185 years, we have never had a female cadet. Hmm... but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing these days! After all, we have female singers, female motorists..."