+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Woman Commentator

Woman Commentator

Just switched Portugal v Morroco. We now have a woman commentator for it. BBC going way over the top with women pundits etc. Having listened to it for 5 mins or so, i cant stand listening to her. Switching it off ffs.😡

Re: Woman Commentator

It's Jacqui Oatley I think? Her voice is so irritating, I think they are taught to speak and use phrases in that style. But I've heard her talking the same way in interviews. A bit like Phil Neville says every sentence with the same style and phrasing. Terrible, but not as b boring as Michael zzzzzz Owen .

I have no issues with a female commentator, but I do with the high pitched nasal whine emanating from my TV box in this particular case. Watching with sound off myself!

Only 2 places for women, and commentating on football isn't one of them.

Ive always liked her on 5 live, not watching it today but a few of the 5 live commentators have had trouble swapping radio for TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Only 2 places for women, and commentating on football isn't one of them.
    It isn’t the 1950s any more pal

Ruining the game for me

I think I'd prefer Keown and Lawrenson doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It isn’t the 1950s any more pal
    Remains the same though, pal

In your ignorant mind it might, most of the world have managed to move past being thick bigots though 👍

Feckin' dreadful.

Been watching in silence since the 2nd minute.

Why don't you all listen to the 5live commentary on the red button or online.

Vicki Sparks is her name.
    And she's feckin' awful. Way too shrill.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Vicki Sparks is her name.
    And she's feckin' awful. Way too shrill.
    I've never heard her before, Jacqui Oatley is usually good though

Agree, but only for a shag 😉😊

Jacqui is on ITV hosting the shows rather than commentating.

There are plenty of terrible make commentators, especially during big tournaments where they wheel out some new ones.
    I can think of several who clearly do no research whatsoever before a game but don't get called up on it.
    The standard of sports journalism in the UK isn't good, so getting a few women in there is a good thing.
    This woman might not be great now, she might improve or she might not, but how many chances do. The male former pros get who haven't said anything remotely interesting in a decade?

Keown is displaying his toxic masculinity by refusing to kowtow to her greater knowledge of the game. I could hear the irritation in his voice when she said that the Portuguese team should emulate Ronaldo’s flicks and tricks - he said that Ronnie no longer employed those skills, but in a very condescending manner.

What a disgrace that the female perspective is being drowned out by a football dinosaur pumped up on testosterone and shashliks. Keown has always reminded me of an iguanadon and his disgraceful behaviour has no place in the modern commentary game.

I look forward to Euro 2020 when hopefully the crowd, officials, players, commentators and hotdog sellers will all be female and football will finally be rid of the poison that men bring to the beautiful game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There are plenty of terrible make commentators, especially during big tournaments where they wheel out some new ones.
    I can think of several who clearly do no research whatsoever before a game but don't get called up on it.
    The standard of sports journalism in the UK isn't good, so getting a few women in there is a good thing.
    This woman might not be great now, she might improve or she might not, but how many chances do. The male former pros get who haven't said anything remotely interesting in a decade?
    For me, WHAT she is saying isn't a problem.
    It's her annoying voice.

A woman's voice simply doesn't match a men's football match and I'd have no problem with female commentators for women's matches.

If they're so intent on forcing PC "equality of outcome" horseshit on us then they could have 2 separate commentary teams and people could pick and choose which one to listen to.

You'll get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Some of the women commentators are really good and you can tell they’ve done their research and actually know a lot about the game. Kelly Cates is on the totally football show and has a much greater knowledge than some of the men on the bbc.

I can understand not liking certain voices but only liking the sound of a mans voice and not any women’s seems bizarre to me.

Plus there are so many male commentators who know absolutely nothing about the game outside the premier league and spend the whole match whinging (keown, lawrenson, green to name a few!) but they seem to just get a pass because they are men?

The real reason people don’t like it is they just aren’t used to it yet. Always the same when something changes slightly.

Aunty Andy in 5..4..3..2..1..

Some of the women commentators are really good and you can tell they’ve done their research and actually know a lot about the game. Kelly Cates is on the totally football show and has a much greater knowledge than some of the men on the bbc.

I can understand not liking certain voices but only liking the sound of a mans voice and not any women’s seems bizarre to me.

Plus there are so many male commentators who know absolutely nothing about the game outside the premier league and spend the whole match whinging (keown, lawrenson, green to name a few!) but they seem to just get a pass because they are men?

The real reason people don’t like it is they just aren’t used to it yet. Always the same when something changes slightly.
    Glenn hoddle before the Russia Saudi game literally said, "tbh I don't know anything about these 2 teams, but I'm expecting a close game"
    Then proceeded to talk about England for 90 minutes.

In your ignorant mind it might, most of the world have managed to move past being thick bigots though ��
    It's truly staggering that people are that touchy and pathetic to label others "ignorant" or "thick bigots" for having a different opinion.

You must be fun at parties