+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Messi

Messi

Pfffft!!
    Always said he couldn’t lace Maradonas boots!

Re: Messi

Not even maradona could do anything in that team

He didn’t look remotely interested and barely got a sweat on.

Argentina seem to have four strikers and then no one else of World Cup standard. Could have a decent go if it was a spine of the team but it seems to be crowd out Messi and you can beat them.

Messi was great when he had Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta playing behind him.

There were worse performances in that Argentina side than his tonight. He has to come so deep as their midfield is non-existent.

There seems something seriously wrong in the attitude of the whole team. I wonder if Messi really doesn't want to be there and this is transmitting itself to his team mates.

Alternatively it could be that the manager simply isn't good enough to make the most of the talent he has been given to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Pfffft!!
    Always said he couldn’t lace Maradonas boots!
    Diego is the greatest, He won a world cup by himself, unless Ronaldo can do similar in this world cup, then neither player comes close in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Messi was great when he had Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta playing behind him.
    How old are you? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How old are you? Seriously?
    I have a theory that he's a 12 year old who's using his dad's account based on some of the shit he spouts

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I have a theory that he's a 12 year old who's using his dad's account based on some of the shit he spouts
    Just the facts mate

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Diego is the greatest, He won a world cup by himself, unless Ronaldo can do similar in this world cup, then neither player comes close in my opinion.
    Argentina conceded only 5 goals in 1986, they've conceded 4 already this time

As well as a very good defence, they had a solid midfield. He was brilliant but this gave Maradona an all important spine to thrive off of, something Messi can only dream of with this shower of shite. This whole obsession with winning the World Cup is ridiculous. Messi is Argentina's top scorer with 64, surely that proves his worth on the international stage? Without Messi, Argentina wouldn't even have reached the World Cup.

(Also, if Higuain could finish, they'd have won the 2014 World Cup)

Argentina conceded only 5 goals in 1986, they've conceded 4 already this time

As well as a very good defence, they had a solid midfield. He was brilliant but this gave Maradona an all important spine to thrive off of, something Messi can only dream of with this shower of shite. This whole obsession with winning the World Cup is ridiculous. Messi is Argentina's top scorer with 64, surely that proves his worth on the international stage? Without Messi, Argentina wouldn't even have reached the World Cup.

(Also, if Higuain could finish, they'd have won the 2014 World Cup)
    I agree, and winning the Champions League also.

He's George best/Hugh Hefner/Richard Branson

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    There seems something seriously wrong in the attitude of the whole team. I wonder if Messi really doesn't want to be there and this is transmitting itself to his team mates.

Alternatively it could be that the manager simply isn't good enough to make the most of the talent he has been given to work with.
    The World Cup finals are the pinnacle of any footballer's career - why would he not want to be there? (not intended as a dig at you btw).

Ronaldo is the better all round player who delivers more and looks fitter and in better condition than Messi.

Ronaldo seems to have a stronger focus than Messi , pumped up for every game , looks hungrier for the desired win .

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

Those behind the goal shots for the second and third goals which showed the lack if effort on the Argentina side were very revealing - City proved last season how much you can achieve when you have squad harmony, expecting to win the biggest international team sport championship in the world when you don't possess it at all is ridiculous.

Although the manager comes across as a bit of an idiot, I wouldn't blame him too much - Zabaleta got it right for me when he implied that this Argentina team should have been broken up after it was beaten in the Final of three consecutive tournaments.

It cannot be proved, but I think Ronaldo would be as anonymous as Messi has been if he was playing for a country where team spirit seems to be almost entirely absent like it is with Argentina.

I don't get why people constantly need to compare players. Messi is a great player, one of the best we will ever see. His record at one of the top clubs in the world domestically and in Europe speaks for itself.

I'm sure he would love to add a world cup but at least he has had a chance to play there, many of the worlds best over the years haven't even had that.

Ronaldo or Maradona could have been his strike partner last night and it would have had little effect as they were well beaten in two thirds of the pitch and had no desire or team spirit to even attempt to bridge the gap in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Ronaldo is the better all round player who delivers more and looks fitter and in better condition than Messi.

Ronaldo seems to have a stronger focus than Messi , pumped up for every game , looks hungrier for the desired win .
    Better all round player? Ronaldo has played as a goal-creating or goal-scoring winger his whole career whereas Messi has played wide-forward, false 9, number 10. One is a concord though (best man can make) and the other is a bee (beautiful and natural) - we can appreciate both.

Isn't the manager the same who coached that very impressive Chile side last world cup?

Argentina fans are the best thing about that side this year. Sad that they and Peru go home early, especially with Colombia facing uphill battle.

I never understand people saying Ronaldo is just hard work and Messi is just natural talent.

There’s no way you could be as good as Ronaldo without a ton of talent and there’s no way you could be as good as Messi without working your bollocks off. It’s stupid and it does a disservice to both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I never understand people saying Ronaldo is just hard work and Messi is just natural talent.

There’s no way you could be as good as Ronaldo without a ton of talent and there’s no way you could be as good as Messi without working your bollocks off. It’s stupid and it does a disservice to both of them.
    Agree, Ronaldo is ridiculously talented. When he was a bit younger he also had more pace and his dribbling was actually very very good.

For me he has better longevity and could, if he decided play for some years yet as an out and out no. 9.

Ive personally never seen anyone have the ball control, dribble and take on people like Messi has, the ability to do that and then be composed to finish is incredible. He's also very strong and I admire the way he hasn't really become one to make much of the many challenges that fly into him.

Both very different players in everything but the fact they score goals and have endless talent. Imagine how good it must be to play the game so effortlessly at times.

When these two retire there could well be a fair few years before anyone new gets mentioned as being anywhere near as good.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    All true, but the main concern for me if I was a big Argentina fan was how poor they were when they didn't have the ball.

Are people forgetting the last world cup, when Messi dragged Argentina to the final and was declared the best player in the tournament, and Portugal went out at the group stage, at the expense of USA?

If the reverse happens this some round then perhaps they're equal.

Given the choice between Messi and Ronaldo, I would choose Bale right now.