Looking for a bit of reassurance from someone who knows the law I guess.

I know what I think but I don't know if I am 'right'. I work for a local authority and attended a mandatory training day with my colleagues on Monday at a different site to my normal working base. We are expected to fill in a spreadsheet with our working hours each day. I live near my normal working base and just assumed that our travel time would be paid so I entered the time I would have arrived at work based on when we left (I got a lift from a colleague) and when I would have arrived back at my normal base and left work (again, I got a lift from a colleague). This was a full days training that ended earlier than they thought but because of traffic we only got back at 4.55.

We have since been told to enter the time we arrived at training and the time we left training, the result is that travel time from training to my normal base is therefore not paid and I am left having to make up time to make up for this. Am I wrong in thinking this is a load of rubbish? My manager was adamant and sometimes it is hard to argue your case in a busy office when somebody just 'knows' they are right.

Any help greatly welcomed and also looking forward to some creative abuse/trolling