+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE LOST ART OF COMMENTATING ON FOOTBALL ON TELEVISION.

THE LOST ART OF COMMENTATING ON FOOTBALL ON TELEVISION.

Once upon a time you could settle down to watch a football match on tv safe in knowledge that you'd scarcely notice the commentator. They would add to the occasion with perceptive insights and not irritate you. The best of these, by a country mile, was Barry Davies whose performance was peerless.

Today more is far worse. Now two, a commentator and a summariser, gobble up virtually all the time with wall to wall noise, so much so that very little of it rises above the obvious, thereby adding nothing to the broadcast. In fact it detracts from the game.

Today's duo at the Serbia v Switzerland match (Simon Brotherton and Kevin Kilbane) are testing my patience to the full.

If Sky, BT, BBC and ITV felt for we viewers they'd also save an awful lot of money by getting rid of half of the two on duty during the 90 minutes of each game.

The greatest rule of commentating, that Barry Davies knew, is that silence is golden.

StT.
    <><

Re: THE LOST ART OF COMMENTATING ON FOOTBALL ON TELEVISION.

Glad you mentioned Barry Davies. He was the best and way better than the irritating John Motson.

Keown makes me want to throw my remote at the telly

Spot on. Nothing to add.

Hugh Johns was a nice man, but a bloody awful commentator

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Hugh Johns was a nice man, but a bloody awful commentator
    "One nothing"

BTW Good OP

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Glad you mentioned Barry Davies. He was the best and way better than the irritating John Motson.
    John Motson tried to give the impression of being perceptive but came over as argumentative for its own sake. Moreover his commentary was festooned with Americanisms eg overtime, set plays etc. He grated on me from first til last.

Barry Davies was a Rolls Royce among Ford Populars.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    John Motson tried to give the impression of being perceptive but came over as argumentative for its own sake. Moreover his commentary was festooned with Americanisms eg overtime, set plays etc. He grated on me from first til last.

StT.
    <><
    Motson was very childish indeed - and most commentators are very jingoistic. I sometimes watch games on German TV where the commentary is far more even-minded and mature.

Angry Re: THE LOST ART OF COMMENTATING ON FOOTBALL ON TELEVISION.

Once upon a time you could settle down to watch a football match on tv safe in knowledge that you'd scarcely notice the commentator. They would add to the occasion with perceptive insights and not irritate you. The best of these, by a country mile, was Barry Davies whose performance was peerless.

Today more is far worse. Now two, a commentator and a summariser, gobble up virtually all the time with wall to wall noise, so much so that very little of it rises above the obvious, thereby adding nothing to the broadcast. In fact it detracts from the game.

Today's duo at the Serbia v Switzerland match (Simon Brotherton and Kevin Kilbane) are testing my patience to the full.

If Sky, BT, BBC and ITV felt for we viewers they'd also save an awful lot of money by getting rid of half of the two on duty during the 90 minutes of each game.

The greatest rule of commentating, that Barry Davies knew, is that silence is golden.

StT.
    <><
    Very true in every sense.
    Now bring on a female commentator I say.

StT.
    <><
    I watched an interview with motson and Brian clough the other day and clough absolutely smashed him

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Very true in every sense.
    Now bring on a female commentator I say.

Now was that last comment, "Tongue in cheek?"

My point in all this is why do they have to tell us something has happened when we've already seen it on the tv? Commentating on tv is different than on radio. Very few grasp that simple fact.

StT.
    <><

Kilbane doesn't shut up.
    Danny Murphy I don't mind though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Kilbane doesn't shut up.
    Danny Murphy I don't mind though.
    The Brotherton/Kilbane duo tonight are just having a discussion against the backdrop of a game. If it were on the radio I'd even turn that off because there's very little substance in what they are saying.

StT.
    <><

Now was that last comment, "Tongue in cheek?"

My point in all this is why do they have to tell us something has happened when we've already seen it on the tv? Commentating on tv is different than on radio. Very few grasp that simple fact.

StT.
    <><
    It was, it would be great if you could press the red button and just have the noise of the crowd, sky did this a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    It was, it would be great if you could press the red button and just have the noise of the crowd, sky did this a few years ago.
    Cleve, that would be the answer to my prayers.

StT.
    <><

I thought someone said on here you can listen to the 5 live commentary on the red button

Bloody useless advice for radio commentators, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bloody useless advice for radio commentators, though.
    Eric, far be it for me to correct such an esteemed contributor as your good self, the, "silence is golden," comment was regarding tv and not radio commentary.

StT.
    <><

Eric, far be it for me to correct such an esteemed contributor as your good self, the, "silence is golden," comment was regarding tv and not radio commentary.

StT.
    <><
    I know! Perhaps I should have put a or or after it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I know! Perhaps I should have put a or or after it!
    https://youtu.be/VOuM7RdxhMU

StT.
    <><

I’m in Germany at the moment and watching their coverage is so much better.Just one commentater during the matches and no incessant waffle.Just one ex pro in the studio (Oliver Khan) who doesn’t go overboard on analysing every move made,they even cut to the news and weather at half time instead of the painful ramblings of people analysing an exciting 0-0 draw.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I thought someone said on here you can listen to the 5 live commentary on the red button
    You can, although it means (on Freesat at least) you don't get the picture in HD.

The sky La Liga commentators and pundits are superb.

I think Sky are good across the board to be fair and that's why we notice how woeful the BBC and itv commentary team are

Not sure I understand the love for Barry Davies.

All I want from a commentator is player identification, and with the more regular coverage sometimes even that is unnecessary.

Different support by for me Richie Benaud understood what the viewer wanted in way of commentary.

I've listened to test cricket commentary on radio now and then and how these guys manage to keep it interesting never ceases to amaze me. Incredible.