+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What was your first live game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What was your first live game

Although, I think, I went to one or maybe two games beforehand the first I can remember was the Aston Villa home game in April 1960 when City won 1-0 to gain promotion to the old First Division. The attendance was about 55,000 and City played in all white to commemorate the Club's Golden Jubilee. My Father and I stood against the Grangetown End (as it was then called) perimeter wall towards the Popular (Bob) Bank corner flag.

StT.
    <><

I can't remember who it was against but what I do remember was hardly being able to see a thing.
    Went with my cousin's older brother (also my cousin funnily enough) and his mate.
    In the Bob Bank towards the back and they put me on their shoulders every so often.

Toshack was playing and there was talk of him looking to be transferred so I would guess it must have been 69/70 season.

It was about another 3 or 4 years before I went down more regularly, although we waited for h/t or just before if we couldn't sneak in as they used to open the exit gates.

Northampton Town 1964

Must have been very late 60's - beat a side in European Cup Winners Cup - 8-0 or something close - evening game

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Must have been very late 60's - beat a side in European Cup Winners Cup - 8-0 or something close - evening game
    Could be when we played Pezoporikos Larnaca a Cypriot team in 1970, that was an 8-0 win for us.