+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your first live game

What was your first live game

Mine was way back on a cold snowy November afternoon in 1971. As a seven year old with my Arsenal rosette on I cheered when Ray Kennedy scored a screamer in the first half at Molineux and cried in the second half when Dave Wagstaffe and Derek Dougan ran riot as Wolves scored five and won 5-1. All these years later I still have fond memories of this game.

Re: What was your first live game

Cardiff v Millwall approx 1972 / 73.

Taken by my uncle on the back of his scooter.

My grandad took my to see City v Wycombe in the FA Cup in 1976 and later that year I saw City v Tblisi by myself. I was 10.

Torquay home about 95/96ish, they wore our away kit because they forgot their kit.
    Boxing Day as well, remember being freezing and wanting to go home and play with my presents and my dad wouldn't let up.
    We beat them 2-0, Deon Burton with 2.

Home to Arsenal. Not sure if it was 1960 or 1961. My dad took me 😊

was taken down the city in the 1973/4 season on the bob bank . think it was against luton i could be wrong but can't really remember

the earliest memory i can remember was seeing a south wales 11 play man utd 11 to raise proceeds for newport county must have been around 1976

was in the canton and the place was full of plastic mancs nothing ever changes does it -lol

Was either a 5-0 win over Oxford or a 1-1 draw (I think) with Portsmouth around 72/73. My heart says it was Oxford but my head is swaying to Pompey
    Last edited by StraightOuttaCanton; 22-06-18 at 21:42. Reason: Missed a t

70/71 season , first game I can remember was against “Boro and was 3-4 however I may have gone to the Sheffield Utd game before that ...( I can’t see my dad taking a 8 year old to Millwall)

My old man would take me to watch Merthyr when he wasn’t playing local league.

Had been watching Merthyr for 2/3 years before the Newport, 87 Welsh Cup final. I was 10.

I was 15 first City game. Away to Hereford 1992. Followers by Burnley, league leaders, lost 2-0, but 16k there and Bob Bank was rocking.

I was hooked.

Sheffield United, September 1961. 1-1 draw. Dai Ward scored for us, I think.

Orient 2 0. 1983.
    Have seen highlights on YouTube, but can't remember a thing about the game.

28th December 1968
    City 3-0 Hull Toshack, Clark & Bird it was a stub game for the Arsenal FA CUP game the following week.
    My 50th season

Derby v Leeds. November 1st 1975. A famous game.

Cardiff v Leyton Orient 1958.

Brighton at home in 75/76.
    My dad was a copper so had a word with someone on duty on the day and let us through the gate without paying.
    We lost 1-0.

1952/53 season, home to Arsenal and a 2-1 defeat. So long ago can’t remember exact date.

1967/68 Plymouth 1-1 hooked ever since.

1-0 win over Northampton in October 63 - Mel Charles scored, I really got hooked though when I went to my first floodlit match at the end of the 63/64 season, Bangor City in the Second Leg of the Welsh Cup Final!

International

Cardiff v Spurs in Mar '61 the year they did the then unheard of double.

city won 3 - 2. We were one of a handful of teams that beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Brighton at home in 75/76.
    My dad was a copper so had a word with someone on duty on the day and let us through the gate without paying.
    We lost 1-0.
    No wonder we got relegated, no money for transfers!

City vs Blackburn, 1970-71 season.
    We won 4-1, (Clarkie scored 2, King and Woodruff the others. Superb game, hooked ever since.
    By coincidence, it was the first home game after a certain player was sold.
    "Toshack is a reject" was the chant of the day.

Do people really remember these things or are they told them I went to lots of games during early 90s no idea who or when only memory I have is going on the pitch when I assume it was aldershot were going out of business?

Newcastle home, August ‘62, first game of the season after relegation from the top flight, 4-4 draw after being 3–1 down at half time. First away, Plymouth, 0-0 draw, 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Do people really remember these things or are they told them I went to lots of games during early 90s no idea who or when only memory I have is going on the pitch when I assume it was aldershot were going out of business?
    The thing I remember most is seeing the colour of the opposition jerseys for the first time. It got old hat after a while though, once you got used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Yeah, as I said I remember being at ‘Boro game but couldn’t say it was my first . I don’t know if it was Peter King’s goals or City throwing away a 3-1 lead that day but that is the first memory. After that I went regularly and that was our best season ( although I didn’t know that at the time it would take almost 50 years to match the level our team was at !) until we started this run of play off, FA Cup,League Cup and promotion to Premier League.