+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What was your first live game

Re: What was your first live game

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Correct, we signed Hooper from Bristol Rovers, Allchurch scored that day & maybe Barrie Hole.
    Barrie Hole scored twice. Hooper and Mel Charles got the others.

February 1972 Fulham at home. Won 1-0 Brian Clark scored.
    Spedger

Northampton Town 1964

Home to Barnet towards the end of the 1992/93 promotion season. A 1-1 draw and c17,500 in the ground. Stood at the back of the Grand End.

December 9th 1995 Cardiff v Hartlepool Cardiff won 2-0

Must have been very late 60's - beat a side in European Cup Winners Cup - 8-0 or something close - evening game

Leeds in the FA cup 1972 was my first home game lost 2-0 i think johny Giles scored the goals, i have no recollection of the game just remember being on my dads shoulders and it being packed out.
    My first away was Swindon boxing day 1975 lost 4-0 we were 3-0 down before we got into the ground !

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Must have been very late 60's - beat a side in European Cup Winners Cup - 8-0 or something close - evening game
    Could be when we played Pezoporikos Larnaca a Cypriot team in 1970, that was an 8-0 win for us.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Leeds in the FA cup 1972 was my first home game lost 2-0 i think johny Giles scored the goals, i have no recollection of the game just remember being on my dads shoulders and it being packed out.
    My first away was Swindon boxing day 1975 lost 4-0 we were 3-0 down before we got into the ground !
    The night before that Swindon game some Ely lads broke into their ground and did a paint job in Swindon's kop.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The Real Madrid game.
    What a boring start for you ,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Peaked a bit early...

To be fair, we’ve been really entertaining since the turn of the Century, but it’s a bit difficult to compete with the raw visceral power of being physically part of a crowded sea humanity winning one of the most important games the team had ever played.

As a first ‘high’ I struggle to see how it could be equalled today as the physical aspect will never be repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Swansea v Liverpool, 1983

First City game , Cardiff v Brighton 1984

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Could be when we played Pezoporikos Larnaca a Cypriot team in 1970, that was an 8-0 win for us.
    Yep went on to wack Nantes 5 -1 and then do the Madrid 1 nil glorious campaign .

It was an FA Cup game at home vs Bury i believe, we scored a 119th minute winner, i THINK it would have been around 98/99 season, the scenes from the 3,000 strong crowd that day got me hooked, ive been regular since then, and ST holder since 06.

:)

I can't remember my first game but the first one I do remember was against Hamburg in the semi-final of the Cup Winners' Cup in 1968.

A quote from City's official website about the game:

"The second leg, at Ninian Park, took place on 1 May 1968 and drew a crowd of 43,070 fans, the vast majority of whom were desperate to see the Bluebirds reach their first European final. Once more, City made a fast start as Malcolm Clarke galloped down the wing and set up another goal for Dean.

Yet the lead didn’t last long as Hamburg equalised five minutes later through Franz-Josef Hönig. The game was in the balance now but it was Hamburg who seized the initiative. Seeler finally made his mark on the contest when he majestically arrowed a shot into the the top corner to give his side the lead.

Nine City players get back to defend a Hamburg free-kick

Then, the Bluebirds abandoned caution and threw everything at their opponents. Their equaliser came with around ten minutes to go and from an unlikely source. The versatile Brian Harris was the man to spark jubilation from the crowd as he scored his first goal for City after eighty-eight appearances.

It was not to be for City, however, as their dreams were dashed just two minutes from time. Hönig let fly with a speculative effort from thirty yards out and Wilson, so often the hero during the tournament, was unable to keep it out and let the shout squirm under his body into the back of the net.

Cardiff City lost 3-4 on aggregate but could be immensely proud of their achievements in getting so far. Hamburg went on to lose the final in Rotterdam on 23 May 1968, going down 2-0 to AC Milan."

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I can't remember my first game but the first one I do remember was against Hamburg in the semi-final of the Cup Winners' Cup in 1968.

A quote from City's official website about the game:

"The second leg, at Ninian Park, took place on 1 May 1968 and drew a crowd of 43,070 fans, the vast majority of whom were desperate to see the Bluebirds reach their first European final. Once more, City made a fast start as Malcolm Clarke galloped down the wing and set up another goal for Dean.

Yet the lead didn’t last long as Hamburg equalised five minutes later through Franz-Josef Hönig. The game was in the balance now but it was Hamburg who seized the initiative. Seeler finally made his mark on the contest when he majestically arrowed a shot into the the top corner to give his side the lead.

Nine City players get back to defend a Hamburg free-kick

Then, the Bluebirds abandoned caution and threw everything at their opponents. Their equaliser came with around ten minutes to go and from an unlikely source. The versatile Brian Harris was the man to spark jubilation from the crowd as he scored his first goal for City after eighty-eight appearances.

It was not to be for City, however, as their dreams were dashed just two minutes from time. Hönig let fly with a speculative effort from thirty yards out and Wilson, so often the hero during the tournament, was unable to keep it out and let the shout squirm under his body into the back of the net.

Cardiff City lost 3-4 on aggregate but could be immensely proud of their achievements in getting so far. Hamburg went on to lose the final in Rotterdam on 23 May 1968, going down 2-0 to AC Milan."
    I was there that night, it was heartbreaking to say the least, so near and yet so far from glory, away goals didn’t count then so a replay was on the cards

Millwall 1975 ( think my dad thought I wouldn't go again! ).

Cant remeber the score or anything - didn't really watch the match the goings on on the terrace were far more entertaining.

31 October 1953 at Fratton Park - Pompey vs Middlesborough.

I was passed down over the heads of the crowd to the front from where I could just see over the concrete wall.

Used to be fascinated by the letters after players names in the programmes that showed they were internationals. My main memory is how old the players looked.

(PS Isn't it time to let bygones be bygones and let us have our clock back?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I was there that night, it was heartbreaking to say the least, so near and yet so far from glory, away goals didn’t count then so a replay was on the cards
    I was there as well. Probably the most gutted I've been after a City game along with Blackpool at Wembley.

Do people actually recall their first game and the opposition? I remember being taken down to Ninian Park in the late 60's by my Uncle but don't recall the opposition or the results, only the massive crowds and the atmosphere. I do recall there was a separate turnstile for youngsters so my Uncle gave me a coin to get in and I dropped it and couldn't find it and started crying as I thought I would be stuck outside and a policeman lifted me up over the turnstile to get me in. The first games I recall the actual football were in the early 70's

As youngsters being taken to a first game I think the football is incidental to the excitement of the crowd and the chanting etc. The first game I took my oldest son to was the away game at Oxford which we won 3-2 and Winston Faerber scored a screamer. I recall it was a very exciting game of football but when we got home all my son wanted to tell my wife about was the number of policemen there, police horses, police dogs and swear words he heard!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I was there as well. Probably the most gutted I've been after a City game along with Blackpool at Wembley.
    How do you know it's time?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...pompey-2175570