+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your first live game

Re: What was your first live game

1953 City v Arsenal. 0-0 draw. My dad was a keen Arsenal fan and I think he was trying to get me interested as well but I got hooked on City instead. Don't remember much about the game but I do recall that we had a lively winger, I was told his name was Mike Tiddy. We sat in the Canton stand and the crowd was huge, never seen so many people before. I recall his words after the game that I could tell my grandkids that I had seen Jimmy Logie play. In later years I told my two boys that and they were singularly unimpressed.

Cardiff v Blackpool 1955-lost 2-1, Stan Montgomery scored our goal.He also played cricket for Glammy.That was it-probably cost me as much as Vincent has put in over the tears.Worth every penny.

August 1969 a 2:2 draw v Swindon under floodlights. I've only just realised that I was standing in almost exactly the same spot for our last game under floodlights at NP.

December 27th. !95? Cardiff City 1-0 Bristol City own-goal by the Bristol right-back. I remember Joe Bonson was our No. 9 but I don't remember much else.

Although, I think, I went to one or maybe two games beforehand the first I can remember was the Aston Villa home game in April 1960 when City won 1-0 to gain promotion to the old First Division. The attendance was about 55,000 and City played in all white to commemorate the Club's Golden Jubilee. My Father and I stood against the Grangetown End (as it was then called) perimeter wall towards the Popular (Bob) Bank corner flag.

StT.
    <><

Graham Moore scored the goal and Colin (Rocky) Hudson played his socks off.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Newcastle home, August ‘62, first game of the season after relegation from the top flight, 4-4 draw after being 3–1 down at half time. First away, Plymouth, 0-0 draw, 1967.
    Did city take many away during the late 60’s early 70’s ?

Also how did they used to travel to away games ?

I remember that Newcastle 62 game, was Peter Hooper playing for them that day and did he join us later in his career?

Cardiff v Millwall..67/68?
    Ridiculous Clark header and a 2.1 victory.
    Hooked forever

71/72 Boro eeeeek.

Good to see the CCMB Is flush with so many youngsters, instead of those dogmatic grumpy old men clouding up opinion .

4th January 1969 3rd Round FA Cup versus Arsenal. It was my ninth birthday present from my old man. Took my mate Jimmy Quigley along. The Arsenal had the likes of Bob Wilson, Bobby Gould, Georges Armstrong and Graham and Ian Ure who made Norman Hunter looked like a puppy

I can't remember who it was against but what I do remember was hardly being able to see a thing.
    Went with my cousin's older brother (also my cousin funnily enough) and his mate.
    In the Bob Bank towards the back and they put me on their shoulders every so often.

Toshack was playing and there was talk of him looking to be transferred so I would guess it must have been 69/70 season.

It was about another 3 or 4 years before I went down more regularly, although we waited for h/t or just before if we couldn't sneak in as they used to open the exit gates.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Cardiff v Spurs in Mar '61 the year they did the then unheard of double.

city won 3 - 2. We were one of a handful of teams that beat them.
    That was a memorable day because I'd watched Wales beat Ireland 6-0 at the Arms Park in the afternoon. Afterwards, I remember thousands walking straight to Ninian Park for the Spurs game which was a brilliant win.
    My first game was in 1957 for a 3-2 home win against Derby County.

The Real Madrid game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    That was a memorable day because I'd watched Wales beat Ireland 6-0 at the Arms Park in the afternoon. Afterwards, I remember thousands walking straight to Ninian Park for the Spurs game which was a brilliant win.
    My first game was in 1957 for a 3-2 home win against Derby County.
    Was there, too, to see City beat the Spurs' Double Winning team. Also went to the Arms Park in the afternoon to see the rugby.

StT.
    <><

19/09/59 Cardiff 1 Rotherham 4

ironsides in goal form rotherham, without him it would have been 10-4, hooked ever since

We have a couple of posters that go back as far as 1952/3 era. Blimey! That’s around 65/66 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I remember that Newcastle 62 game, was Peter Hooper playing for them that day and did he join us later in his career?
    I was at the game. My recollection is that Hooper was already playing for us and scored 2 goals! Memory plays tricks though and you may be right. I also remember ( or think I do) that the great Ivor Allchurch played his first home for us having joined from Newcastle.

Huddersfield at home , 4 May 1968. The Saturday after the Hamburg game. It was 0-0 and I was hooked, so I came back 2 weeks later to see Charlton.....it was 0-0. That was the end of the season so I of course attend the first game of the 68/9 season, we lot 0-4!! The first three full seasons were great, pushing or promotions, and the last 15 years have been great too, but there were some dark days over at Ninian Park.

City v Bury Nov 1966 in the boys enclosure with my Dad behind me on the other side of the chicken wire fence.
    I'm pretty sure Toshack and Clark shared the goals.
    He passed away three years ago, he would have loved last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I was at the game. My recollection is that Hooper was already playing for us and scored 2 goals! Memory plays tricks though and you may be right. I also remember ( or think I do) that the great Ivor Allchurch played his first home for us having joined from Newcastle.
    Correct, we signed Hooper from Bristol Rovers, Allchurch scored that day & maybe Barrie Hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Cardiff v Leyton Orient 1958.
    I've got a newspaper reports from this game but I can't seem to be able to upload a copy. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I've got a newspaper reports from this game but I can't seem to be able to upload a copy. Sorry.
    Thanks for trying. I would have loved to read it.

Bridgwater Town V Cardiff City 1977. It was a friendly and I remember not recognising any of the names. Then I saw Brian Attley was playing so I ran onto the pitch at the end to get his autograph. He seemed really pleased that someone had recognised him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Thanks for trying. I would have loved to read it.
    Pm me your mobile no and I'll send it