+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 'Don't swim with wild dolphins' warning after Cardigan Bay picture

'Don't swim with wild dolphins' warning after Cardigan Bay picture

People have been warned to keep their distance from wild dolphins after a woman was photographed swimming with a cow and its calf.

Boat skipper Jonathan Evans witnessed the incident at Ynys Lochtyn off the coast of Cardigan Bay in Ceredigion last month.

He described the woman's behaviour as "selfish" and "unsympathetic".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-44538778

Re: 'Don't swim with wild dolphins' warning after Cardigan Bay picture

I've surfed around the world, and have been approached by dolphins on numerous occasions. They have even joined us for a spot of wave riding! Fellow divers have had similar experiences, one fella recounted a story of a group of dolphins coming between him and a shark. I've always thought that being a species of mammal, they have more in common with humans than fish. I never once got the impression that we could be causing long term behavioural changes that could effect their survival, or that we were driving them away, as it was the dolphins who initiated the contact and they seemed to enjoy the experience.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I've surfed around the world, and have been approached by dolphins on numerous occasions. They have even joined us for a spot of wave riding! Fellow divers have had similar experiences, one fella recounted a story of a group of dolphins coming between him and a shark. I've always thought that being a species of mammal, they have more in common with humans than fish. I never once got the impression that we could be causing long term behavioural changes that could effect their survival, or that we were driving them away, as it was the dolphins who initiated the contact and they seemed to enjoy the experience.
    Shirley that's the point, they initialed it. In this case the woman canoed out to them and then got in the water.

I'd think you'd have to be pretty dumb to approach a female wild animal with her baby, all animals are fiercely protective of their young if they feel even slightly threatened.

If the dolphins didn't want the contact they would have ****ed off wouldn't they, there's no way the woman could swim with them without them allowing it

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If the dolphins didn't want the contact they would have ****ed off wouldn't they, there's no way the woman could swim with them without them allowing it
    Except they may have wanted to stay in that area and not gone elsewhere. I think the advice is to observe but don't encroach. If they come to you then fair enough. I can't see what is wrong with the advice to not hassle them.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Except they may have wanted to stay in that area and not gone elsewhere. I think the advice is to observe but don't encroach. If they come to you then fair enough. I can't see what is wrong with the advice to not hassle them.
    Of course you should be respectful with wild animals, but
    I don't think they were necessarily hassling them, if they had been the dolphins would have just swam off.
    The guy complaining probably runs dolphin watching boat trips and doesn't want people just swimming out to see them without paying.

International

I don't think they were necessarily hassling them, if they had been the dolphins would have just swam off.
    The guy complaining probably runs dolphin watching boat trips and doesn't want people just swimming out to see them without paying.
    Did you read the whole article. It is the authorities that made the rule and it applies to everyone. The boatman also acknowledged his own vested interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

If someone was harassing you and your family at your home would you run off to a new home?

They should've just left them alone the stupid fecker was putting her own family in danger

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    If someone was harassing you and your family at your home would you run off to a new home?
    Do Dolphins have homes?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    A ?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    A ?
    I'm thinking of asking if I can borrow his box to put my elephant in

CCMB poster David Attenborough claims woman swimming with dolphins is cool.

He later claimed the Dolphin would of F##### of if it didn't enjoy the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    CCMB poster David Attenborough claims woman swimming with dolphins is cool.

He later claimed the Dolphin would of F##### of if it didn't enjoy the experience.
    Where did I say it was cool?

I've been in the water near some dolphins and they stayed well away. Michael Phelps couldn't have got close to them if they didn't allow it

International

Where did I say it was cool?

I've been in the water near some dolphins and they stayed well away. Michael Phelps couldn't have got close to them if they didn't allow it
    Maybe they didn't like your smell. (Aftershave I mean of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Maybe they didn't like your smell. (Aftershave I mean of course!)
    I don't doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I'm thinking of asking if I can borrow his box to put my elephant in
    Not everybody has spent their whole life living in one place ya know

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Did you read the whole article. It is the authorities that made the rule and it applies to everyone. The boatman also acknowledged his own vested interest.
    The point of the article seemed to be about how many different ways could they say it was a bad idea. If it was genuine reporting they would have asked the woman involved for her side of the story. We don't even know who approached who, as the family were Kayaking along the coastline, and they wouldn't want to stray too far from the shore with young young kids in tow. Was the captain saying they should have paddled at least a further 100m out to sea with their kids?