+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gareth Williams ex City

Gareth Williams ex City

Following on from the sad news about Ron Healey earlier this week I just found out that Gareth Williams passed away on 4 June.

Gareth was a wing half with us in the 1960s and played 161 League games. He was highly rated and we sold him to Bolton in 1967 for £40,000 , in the days where we sold a player a season for £40k, following on from the sale of Rodrigues and Hole. He had a lengthy spell there before ending his career at Bury.

I'm pretty sure he was born in London to Welsh parents, and in those days it meant he wasn't eligible to play for Wales, as I'm sure he would have won some caps.

RIP Gareth and condolences to his family.

Re: Gareth Williams ex City

One of the first players I saw who impressed me as a young supporter
    R.I.P

I remember him well. A no-nonsense player, good tackler and passer of the ball in the old wing-half style. I was disappointed when we sold him as I thought our half back line at the time of Williams, Murray and Harris was as good as any in the Second Division but, as Cardiff55 says we were selling good players with monotonous regularity in those days.

RIP Gareth

Sad news again after Ron Healey's passing - Gareth Williams was certainly a boyhood hero of mine.

If my memory serves me right he was born in Wembley though brought up in Fleur-de-Lys near Bargoed. His Wembley birth prevented him gaining any Welsh caps, place of birth being the only relevant factor in which country you represented in those days.

RIP Gareth

A sad loss.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Another good player sdaly passes .

The grim reaper is catches us oldies up .😨🤤.

RIP Gareth Williams

A terrific player. My favourite memory of him is scoring an equaliser in a 1-1 FA cup draw with Man City. Very upset when he was sold. Sad to hear he is no longer with us.

Nicknamed the Tank if I remember rightly. I can still see that goal against Man City in my mind's eye (and the own goal by Graham Coldrick!).

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    A terrific player. My favourite memory of him is scoring an equaliser in a 1-1 FA cup draw with Man City. Very upset when he was sold. Sad to hear he is no longer with us.
    Remember that game also ,poured down all day ,my dad made us walk from town cause he said we would never get out of the car park opposite 37000 there that day wonderful memory one of many spent with my old man down the City

RIP

Great times in 60’s mainly 2nd div, but great all the same.