+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swiss v Serbs (sanctions?)

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Swiss v Serbs (sanctions?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44589162

_102172514_xhaka_shaqiri_epa.jpg

Puts the home nations poppy-gate into perspective.

Re: Swiss v Serbs (sanctions?)

good on the players imho

the Serb coach doesnt really help the matter with his statement " "It deserves to be condemned by the whole football world," Kokeza added. "It was not the only provocation by the Swiss players. One sufficient detail was the football boots of one of their players - the boots had a flag of a non-existing country displayed on them. " pretty sure the kosovans would argue they became independent 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    good on the players imho

the Serb coach doesnt really help the matter with his statement " "It deserves to be condemned by the whole football world," Kokeza added. "It was not the only provocation by the Swiss players. One sufficient detail was the football boots of one of their players - the boots had a flag of a non-existing country displayed on them. " pretty sure the kosovans would argue they became independent 10 years ago
    I think that might be the crux of their disagreement.

good on the players imho

FIFA and UEFA would appear to disagree with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think that might be the crux of their disagreement.
    So the hand (twin eagle) jesture was just a bit of friendly banter ... like Rangers players have done to Celtic fans in the past?

good on the players imho

Gazza received death threats after his goal celebration ...

Paul-Gascoigne-flute.jpg

Xhaka and Shaqiri will probably pray that the Serbian supporters will not be wound up so much.

Xhaka & Xherdan Shaqiri face bans over goal celebrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    So the hand (twin eagle) jesture was just a bit of friendly banter ... like Rangers players have done to Celtic fans in the past?
    I've no idea why you've said that in reply to my post.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I've no idea why you've said that in reply to my post.
    Apologies for confusion ... my original post was meant to highlight the hand jestures which were far more provocative than any national flag stitched onto a boot.

When Wales played Serbia in 2013 (I think) a few of the Serbian fans were dressed in Military gear and one had a board naming a town in Croatia where a particulary brutal battle took place during the civil war.

I was working that game and they didn’t appear to happy when told to remove the board!

Age old brutality in that region that isn’t going to disappear for a few generations.

As a conflict it challenge the word of human.

Those players are a disgrace, as thousands died, they should be banned and sent home now , bloody hell, people on either side were slaughtered, tortured ,innocents in villages pillaged , and they want to make a hand gesture statement, privalged tossers.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Those players are a disgrace, as thousands died, they should be banned and sent home now , bloody hell, people on either side were slaughtered, tortured ,innocents in villages pillaged , and they want to make a hand gesture statement, privalged tossers.
    EXACTLY what I tried to get across in my OP

Xherdan Shaqiri was a war refugee as a result of Serbian actions, so very privileged

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Xherdan Shaqiri was a war refugee as a result of Serbian actions, so very privileged
    I am not a historian, but I doubt whether in the course of time whether the atrocities were as one sided as you imply. There is no place for any celebration in football that refers to civil war.

Imagine an English player doing something relating to WW1 or WW2 in a match with Germany ... is that acceptable?

I doubt many English players would have been directly affected by it though.

I don’t know much about it but I always thought it was the serbs who were the aggressors?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He should know better then , actions / gestures simply inflame and keep hatred live .

Im guessing he knew that .

And yes he's in a privileged postion and being better than this .

He should know better then , actions / gestures simply inflame and keep hatred live .

The 3 players from kosovo were booed every time they touched the ball by the Serbian fans the hatred was already alive.

As well as booing the anthem, getting the Albanian flag banned from the stadium and singing “kill all Albanians”

But it’s not like it was a hate symbol just the symbol of their place of birth after getting dogs abuse all match for being from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I doubt many English players would have been directly affected by it though.

I don’t know much about it but I always thought it was the serbs who were the aggressors?
    If you've got a spare couple of hours have a look at the documentary 'The weight of chains' a real eye opener
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEYQ46gH08

This is worth reading too http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RA...TO/bosnia.html

Cheers I’m travelling home tomorrow so that’ll give me something to do 👍

Gazza received death threats after his goal celebration ...

Paul-Gascoigne-flute.jpg

Xhaka and Shaqiri will probably pray that the Serbian supporters will not be wound up so much.

Xhaka & Xherdan Shaqiri face bans over goal celebrations.
    Heard a story (probably known to some on here) where man was cleared of anti-sectarian violence for punching Neil Lennon and as the crown hadn't charged him with assault got off.....despite being photographed punching Lennon in the face!

I am not a historian, but I doubt whether in the course of time whether the atrocities were as one sided as you imply. There is no place for any celebration in football that refers to civil war.

Imagine an English player doing something relating to WW1 or WW2 in a match with Germany ... is that acceptable?
    Their fans do enough of it.

How many of the England squad were directly affected by those wars the way Shaqiri has been?

Where is this implication in my post? I'm just saying why Shaqiri would do it

The hate was very much alive before his celebration

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Heard a story (probably known to some on here) where man was cleared of anti-sectarian violence for punching Neil Lennon and as the crown hadn't charged him with assault got off.....despite being photographed punching Lennon in the face!
    The sectarian attack case wasnt proven. Neither guilty or not guilty.

He was jailed for over 6 months for invading the pitch. He also received a long term banning order.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    If you've got a spare couple of hours have a look at the documentary 'The weight of chains' a real eye opener
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEYQ46gH08

This is worth reading too http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RA...TO/bosnia.html
    I visited the Museum of Genocide in Bosnia last year and it is pretty harrowing. Inflaming tensions in a football match is best avoided,