+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ball in play for only 26 minutes, in the 2nd half of Russia game !!! I was:--------

Ball in play for only 26 minutes, in the 2nd half of Russia game !!! I was:--------

As both teams had qualified, I was a bit bored, so I put a stopwatch on the 2nd half of Russia v Uruguay.

Stopping it every time the ball went out of play, or when free kicks were awarded and then starting it when the ball was back in play.

Was amazed that only 26 minutes of actual playing time was used in the 49 (injury time) allotted.

These free kicks take for-ever to set up and us fans are getting short changed.

26 frigging minutes. !!!!!!!!

Re: Ball in play for only 26 minutes, in the 2nd half of Russia game !!! I was:--------

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    As both teams had qualified, I was a bit bored, so I put a stopwatch on the 2nd half of Russia v Uruguay.

Stopping it every time the ball went out of play, or when free kicks were awarded and then starting it when the ball was back in play.

Was amazed that only 26 minutes of actual playing time was used in the 49 (injury time) allotted.

I think just under 60 minutes actual play is the norm in a football match so that half was very short on play. 👍
    To hit the average the ball would have to have been in play for 34 minutes in the first half. Unlikely.

Re: Ball in play for only 26 minutes, in the 2nd half of Russia game !!! I was:--------

How much did your grass grow in the 90 mins, Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How much did your grass grow in the 90 mins, Tony?
    Don't know as the Mrs keeps cutting it

Don't know as the Mrs keeps cutting it
    Have you ever thought of swapping roles and rejuvenating your marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Have you ever thought of swapping roles and rejuvenating your marriage?
    Do you mean what I think you mean, or is it just my dirty mind.

Do you mean what I think you mean, or is it just my dirty mind.
    Probably the latter

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    I think just under 60 minutes actual play is the norm in a football match so that half was very short on play. 👍
    To hit the average the ball would have to have been in play for 34 minutes in the first half. Unlikely.
    Tony only counted for first half so correlates with the trend.

I know at times games get strung out to nothing but I don’t particularly want to see the ball in play, for plays sake either. Tip tapping it around the back.

If you attend football regularly it’s the times when you get a lot of frenetic play in the boxes that are exciting. One game in ten has lots of it and if it’s your side that’s attacking and winning it’s at its best.

That said shite games with a stunning winning goal near the end for your team are just as good.

Some 0-0s are great too if lots of frenetic play.

More gin.

I think it would be better if the game was 30 minutes a half but with the clock stopped everytime the ball wasn't in play.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    I think just under 60 minutes actual play is the norm in a football match so that half was very short on play. ��
    Varies by league, I think the premier league is a fair bit less than 60 minutes on average, and matches like this one aren't that uncommon

update - last season West Ham games had an average of 53 minutes in play and Burnley about 54, which isn't far off this.

Football players should be paid by the second!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Varies by league, I think the premier league is a fair bit less than 60 minutes on average, and matches like this one aren't that uncommon

update - last season West Ham games had an average of 53 minutes in play and Burnley about 54, which isn't far off this.
    What was ours?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    What was ours?
    I can't find that data for the championship, I would guess that the average would be slightly lower than the premier league, and that we wouldn't be one of the highest teams in the league

According to this...IMG_20180627_094506.jpg
    Russia Uruguay had the ball in play for about 50 minutes, so it seems your timing was pretty accurate.
    One of the lowest in the tournament, the range seems pretty similar to most of the top leagues

Iran and Brazil at either ends of that list.