+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT - portable air con units.

OT - portable air con units.

Anyone got any knowledge of these ? Bought myself a quite powerful unit and have read it can be too powerful for a room ? Seems to totake ages to cool down and doesn’t get down to required temp. Long shot but thought I’d ask.

International

Re: OT - portable air con units.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Anyone got any knowledge of these ? Bought myself a quite powerful unit and have read it can be too powerful for a room ? Seems to totake ages to cool down and doesn’t get down to required temp. Long shot but thought I’d ask.
    Have you filled it up?

I guess you know it all depends on the size of the room

Is it the type that has the hose that you stick out of the window ( that the hot air gets blown out of ) ? ? ? as we used to have 3 of them, when you put the hose out of the window, draw the curtains / pull the blinds, as you want the room fairly airtight so the cold air doesnt escape

I now have them " plumbed in " in the wardrobes, hot air hose into a " Tumble dryer vent " cut through the walls, that way they are out of site ( in the wardrobe ) and you can keep the windows and doors shut and the temps drop down really quick

temp in the bedrooms are set to 15 C ( so they kick in and out after we turn them on 1 hour before bedtime ) they are fairly noisy though, when the girls are asleep, i turn them off ( so save them waking them up )

We did look at the real units that live in a bank on the side of the house, but they amount they would be used and the cost of them seemed a little too high for usage, the plus on these is they are outside the house so noise isnt a issue

We also have one that lives in the spare room, this i have made a " front box " with 3 outlets on, when its hot we wheel it into the bathroom, then just drag out the hoses into the bedrooms, the noise is in the bathroom but the cool air goes into the bedrooms, it never really makes the room cold, but makes it bearable, it works well enough

We use window units. You put them in in the summer and then usually store them through winter. They work very well and are great for sleeping on hot, summer nights.

https://www.build.com/lg-12000-btu-h...yABEgIkUvD_BwE

I've never been a big fan of these /.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I guess you know it all depends on the size of the room

Is it the type that has the hose that you stick out of the window ( that the hot air gets blown out of ) ? ? ? as we used to have 3 of them, when you put the hose out of the window, draw the curtains / pull the blinds, as you want the room fairly airtight so the cold air doesnt escape

I now have them " plumbed in " in the wardrobes, hot air hose into a " Tumble dryer vent " cut through the walls, that way they are out of site ( in the wardrobe ) and you can keep the windows and doors shut and the temps drop down really quick

temp in the bedrooms are set to 15 C ( so they kick in and out after we turn them on 1 hour before bedtime ) they are fairly noisy though, when the girls are asleep, i turn them off ( so save them waking them up )

We did look at the real units that live in a bank on the side of the house, but they amount they would be used and the cost of them seemed a little too high for usage, the plus on these is they are outside the house so noise isnt a issue

We also have one that lives in the spare room, this i have made a " front box " with 3 outlets on, when its hot we wheel it into the bathroom, then just drag out the hoses into the bedrooms, the noise is in the bathroom but the cool air goes into the bedrooms, it never really makes the room cold, but makes it bearable, it works well enough
    Thanks for the reply 👍. Yeah that’s the type I’ve got. Got a similar setup , where i vent through a wall. Having it vent through a open window seems pointless to me. I’ve bought a 12000 BTU one , which is quite powerful from what I can gather. I’m just concerned it is far too powerful for the room and I might be better off buying a less powerful one for the bedroom.

Might start to use the more powerful one in the spare room to cool the whole upstairs from gh bathroom. Then use the smaller one for the bedroom. Out of interest what BTU are yours ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We use window units. You put them in in the summer and then usually store them through winter. They work very well and are great for sleeping on hot, summer nights.

Not seen this design before. Will take a look. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply ��. Yeah that’s the type I’ve got. Got a similar setup , where i vent through a wall. Having it vent through a open window seems pointless to me. I’ve bought a 12000 BTU one , which is quite powerful from what I can gather. I’m just concerned it is far too powerful for the room and I might be better off buying a less powerful one for the bedroom.

Might start to use the more powerful one in the spare room to cool the whole upstairs from gh bathroom. Then use the smaller one for the bedroom. Out of interest what BTU are yours ?
    2 X 9000 and 1 X 11000 in the bedrooms and the the bathroom one is about the same, might be 9000 ( the sticker on the front has come off )

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

they only really work on " sash windows " which these days are pretty rare in the uk ( not sure if you used to live here or not ? ? ? )

2 X 9000 and 1 X 11000 in the bedrooms and the the bathroom one is about the same, might be 9000 ( the sticker on the front has come off )
    Thanks. I’ve got a 12000 in quite a small bedroom. I’m going to put that on the landing, and a smaller 9000 one in the bedroom.

Bizarrely it seems to cool better when vented through a window than through the hole in the wall. Think it could be to do with the angle of the exhaust maybe.

Thanks. I’ve got a 12000 in quite a small bedroom. I’m going to put that on the landing, and a smaller 9000 one in the bedroom.

Bizarrely it seems to cool better when vented through a window than through the hole in the wall. Think it could be to do with the angle of the exhaust maybe.
    yes, that exhaust hose needs to be able to move the warm away away quickly, you can get 45 degree tumble dryer bends ( of course you could put 2 together to create a 90 degree bend ) they are about a 5'er each

Picked up one of these in the end. You can fit and exhaust hose onto the cold air output. Got it running in another room and feeding the cold air into bedroom.

https://www.cooleasy.co.uk/categorie...heat-pump.html

Picked up one of these in the end. You can fit and exhaust hose onto the cold air output. Got it running in another room and feeding the cold air into bedroom.

https://www.cooleasy.co.uk/categorie...heat-pump.html
    Looks a nice bit of kit

i like the idea of having a hose ( like i have on my one ) as you can have it on all night in another room but make your bedroom cooler, about time they started to make them like this

Looks a nice bit of kit

i like the idea of having a hose ( like i have on my one ) as you can have it on all night in another room but make your bedroom cooler, about time they started to make them like this
    Yeah it was great last night. Cold even. Thanks for the advice and the idea 👍