+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMO VAR is not improving the game.

IMO VAR is not improving the game.

There have always been poor decisions. Now there are more.

Re: IMO VAR is not improving the game.

No, it's making it far worse. It might well be ok for offsides, where there's no debate. But the way the laws of the game are written for penalties, red cards etc, is completely incompatible with VAR.
    Given its proponents said it will make the game fairer and take the controversy out of decisions, it is utterly failing to do that, and arguably heightening the controversy.

There's little wrong with VAR. Referees just don't seem to understand the ball-to-hand thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There's little wrong with VAR. Referees just don't seem to understand the ball-to-hand thing.
    Patriots Steelers game last year took it one step further where pundits called it a touchdown after seeing the film but it wasn't - the officials got it right - and NFL had to explain why. The following few days were all about whether they need to change the rules of the game based on what had been seen. The controversy doesn't end with VAR, and while it will likely be good in the long run, I feel the BBC are trying to convince us it's all good whereas really it's probably too early in its inception to be used at the World Cup.

It's too slow for one, it seems to be used for too many decisions rather than just ones where a clear mistake has been made and it's not always leading to the right decision even after that. I can't imagine the joy of Bale's goal in the champions league final being checked for high boot or something when it should just be instant excitement.

But we also have to give referees more help and ensure they face less abuse for decisions. I think VAR will do that and therefore ensure that we can still have football because all the decent officials haven't quit.

I think it just shows how many penalties there should be in games. If anything I think it's missed more than the soft ones it's given.
    Problem I have with the offside i's they told them to let it go if it's tight but what happens if a linesman does this where he would usually flag and then there is a red card foul after or a goal comes from a corner because of the play

The fundamental problem with it is that it kills that pure moment of joy that is a goal. Before, you could just enjoy it and all you had to worry about was a quick glance at the lino.
    Now, that moment is ruined by the quite reasonable chance that it will be referred to the TV screen.
    If you start ruining the most important thing about football, you start killing the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Patriots Steelers game last year took it one step further where pundits called it a touchdown after seeing the film but it wasn't - the officials got it right - and NFL had to explain why. The following few days were all about whether they need to change the rules of the game based on what had been seen. The controversy doesn't end with VAR, and while it will likely be good in the long run, I feel the BBC are trying to convince us it's all good whereas really it's probably too early in its inception to be used at the World Cup.

It's too slow for one, it seems to be used for too many decisions rather than just ones where a clear mistake has been made and it's not always leading to the right decision even after that. I can't imagine the joy of Bale's goal in the champions league final being checked for high boot or something when it should just be instant excitement.
    100% agree, I'm of the opinion that the ref shouldn't be part of the var decision they have enough refs in that booth to make a correct decision

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    100% agree, I'm of the opinion that the ref shouldn't be part of the var decision they have enough refs in that booth to make a correct decision
    When the ref in rugby asks for assistance, he follows the advice of the referee looking at replays.

The ref in the Iran game tonight should not have been allowed to make a decision once the VAR had become involved.

You're right, a team of refs should be capable of making the correct decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    What about all of the occasions when TV clearly shows fouls, diving, grappling in the six yard box to have happened without being referred to or picked up by the referee and players continually calling for it.
    As was said in another post the ball crossing the line or offside are easy decisions. Some of the rest should also be easy but are often wrong and then there are the unclear ones which referees now feel they have to make a decision as unclear is no longer acceptable.

I think it will be good in time. Just needs a bit of tinkering

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I think it will be good in time. Just needs a bit of tinkering
    I would think about going down the challenge road

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    When the ref in rugby asks for assistance, he follows the advice of the referee looking at replays.

The ref in the Iran game tonight should not have been allowed to make a decision once the VAR had become involved.

You're right, a team of refs should be capable of making the correct decision.
    Is that right? My impression of the sport I am a causal viewer of only is that the ref on the field seems to ask for different camera angles, seems to give his impression and then asks for the video ref to sign off who I have never seen not do so.

Does the ref in football need to explain it to players as they do in rugby? It would speed it up but would take game away from that lead official.

My feeling is that it's still too early and how it's used still needs to be outlined, and therefore not done at the World Cup.

Is that right? My impression of the sport I am a causal viewer of only is that the ref on the field seems to ask for different camera angles, seems to give his impression and then asks for the video ref to sign off who I have never seen not do so.

Does the ref in football need to explain it to players as they do in rugby? It would speed it up but would take game away from that lead official.

My feeling is that it's still too early and how it's used still needs to be outlined, and therefore not done at the World Cup.
    In open play the video ref will advise the ref that there's been foul play ie high tackle

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I would think about going down the challenge road
    I don't really know what the answer is, but having felt cheated on many occasion last time we were in the top flight I truly believe any reduction in referees interpretation (once it's Ironed out) will serve to help us against the big boys.

I don't really know what the answer is, but having felt cheated on many occasion last time we were in the top flight I truly believe any reduction in referees interpretation (once it's Ironed out) will serve to help us against the big boys.
    Those penalties against the scousers we should've had was so blatant to this day I still can't believe they wasn't given

I feel the BBC are trying to convince us it's all good whereas really it's probably too early in its inception to be used at the World Cup.
    They need to be privatised!

Who decides when VAR is used? I still don't understand how Sweden didn't get a penalty in the first half against Germany and why VAR didn't come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Who decides when VAR is used? I still don't understand how Sweden didn't get a penalty in the first half against Germany and why VAR didn't come into play.
    One of the issues is when it is not used and should have been. Not surprisingly there is an obsession with what happens in the penalty area. Should VAR only be used for incidents that occur in that part of the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    One of the issues is when it is not used and should have been. Not surprisingly there is an obsession with what happens in the penalty area. Should VAR only be used for incidents that occur in that part of the pitch.
    I thought it was only supposed to be used for clear red card incidents and offsides but I've seen lots of incidents where there could be a red card but they haven't used it

VAR is a good idea in principle, but the way that they're implementing it is farcical.

Maybe FIFA and the refs should be forced to watch a few egg internationals.

I don't like it, but it's here to stay.

What they have to now is "STOP THE BLEEDING CLOCK"

To much time is wasted and not enough added on.

Carlos Queiroz on VAR and Ronaldo escaping a red card:

He suggested that for VAR to work properly, coaches and fans should be able to hear the communication between the referee and the video assistants, as in rugby, addressing his idea to Gianni Infantino, the Fifa president.

“We don’t know if it was the referee or the guys upstairs [who decided]. This game belongs to the people not to a couple of guys behind the scenes. My suggestion, Mr Infantino, they have to put up their hand and say: ‘Sorry, VAR is not working so we have to stop it,’ or the communication must be clear like rugby, when everybody knows what is going on.”

“My players, they deserve a little bit more respect, the Iranian fans deserve a little bit more respect,” said Queiroz. “There’s no room for human mistakes, human mistakes was before, we accept that. Players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes and referees make mistakes. But now you have one system that cost a fortune, high technology, five or six people inside, whatever, nobody takes responsibility.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ldo-var-escape

But somebody decided that the penalty that wasn’t was given last night after being waived away by the Ref as not being a penalty was deemed to be, otherwise the refs attention would not have been drawn to it.

Someone on Twitter making the point that before the Spain goal that the ball had gone out and should have been a goal kick for Morocco rather than a corner. I didn't watch it but reminds me of England Wales rugby game last year where Woodward (I think) was saying even though Welsh player had grounded it it should have been a knock on because it flicked off his finger on route to the try line, and therefore even though ref hadn't seen it the decision the ref called wrong was in fact correct.

When does an incident start for purposes of VAR?

One of the best feelings in playing and as a supported is celebrating a goal. For some situations I have always had a glance at the linesman before jumping around like a lunatic now on some occasions next season that will be tapered by VAR checking it first.

Think of the goals we scored from corners last season, ref gives it, linesman is happy but the opposition defender or keeper is complaining of an infringement. They are going to be checked and some ruled out. Fair enough if an obvious foul but some will be down to opinion. All the while we are stood there.

For me it doesn't fit into football in the same way it does rugby, there isn't quite the same set piece stop start structure and the challenges are often debatable even between professional referees.

Goal line is great, var for offsides is fine until they can use some automatic detection technology for that also.