+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMO VAR is not improving the game.

Re: IMO VAR is not improving the game.

I was all for bringing VAR in, so far I’m being proved wrong.

Personally i would use VAR like the review system in Cricket. let VAR monitor offsides like DRS monitors no balls, when a goal is scored quickly check the offside and say yes or no.

For the other decisions each team has 2 challenges, so a player will know when he has been fouled, or if something has happened off the ball and he is responsible for the challenge. If the challenge is frivolous then the team loses a challenge if it is correct they keep it. If you are wasteful and then a certain penalty is denied at the end, then it is the teams fault for wasting the challenge.

Yesterday you saw teams playing up to the system knowing the referee would then go to check, with no consequence to the team.

In my opinion the standard of refereeing in this tournament has been good and VAR has been a good addition. Which surprises me because I didn't think I would think that way. The referee in the Portugal game was a complete knob though. He loved himself more than Clattenburg. VAR doesn't work with knobs like him.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    The fundamental problem with it is that it kills that pure moment of joy that is a goal. Before, you could just enjoy it and all you had to worry about was a quick glance at the lino.
    Now, that moment is ruined by the quite reasonable chance that it will be referred to the TV screen.
    If you start ruining the most important thing about football, you start killing the sport.

Yes but all those fans watching on TV - the fans that really count - think its the greatest idea in football.

My major problem is the players demanding VAR. It slows the game down even more.
    Any player surrounding the ref and demanding it should be booked.
    Its becoming too much. Its obvious players are intimidating the ref.
    Liam Brady said last night that decisions are going the major teams way because FIFA want the major teams to remain in the competition. Its all about €€€ He's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    My major problem is the players demanding VAR. It slows the game down even more.
    Any player surrounding the ref and demanding it should be booked.
    Its becoming too much. Its obvious players are intimidating the ref.
    Liam Brady said last night that decisions are going the major teams way because FIFA want the major teams to remain in the competition. Its all about €€€ He's right.
    Var disallowed a Brazil penalty correctly

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Var disallowed a Brazil penalty correctly
    And gave a ropey one against Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    And gave a ropey one against Portugal.
    And gave a yellow card to Ronaldo. Anyone else would of got a red

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    And gave a yellow card to Ronaldo. Anyone else would of got a red
    I don’t know about that, player is deliberately backing into him and it’s hardly a swinging arm.

The problem with some of the decisions isn't VAR it's the people making the judgement. Some of the penalties given for handball have been laughable. Most haven't been intentional.

I also don't agree with the unnatural position argument that's often doled out. If you are trying to get elevation or keep your balance your arms are naturally going to move about, holding your arms by your side all the time is unnatural.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    One of the issues is when it is not used and should have been. Not surprisingly there is an obsession with what happens in the penalty area. Should VAR only be used for incidents that occur in that part of the pitch.
    I think teams should have the right to challenge. 1 challenge per team per half. For incidents in the 18 yard box only. Every game should be reviewed by an independent panel with retroactive punishments for dives and foul play.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    I don’t know about that, player is deliberately backing into him and it’s hardly a swinging arm.
    It proves VAR doesn't work. Most analysts called for a red card.

Dieter Hamann is spot on with Var in my opinion.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/973189/

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Fkg Woodward is a complete nob

IMO

I've got to disagree with you Phil - I haven't watched too many WC games but the ones I have, they have got most decisions right - there will always be exceptions though

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    There have always been poor decisions. Now there are more.
    Totally agree all its done is create even more debate around poor decesions.

But hey the authorities want that don't they as it generates media discussion and headlines and eventual sponsorship .

Its a pity it can see :

Time wasting.
    Aggression towards officials.
    Feigning injury.
    Managers/players waving hands asking for bookings.
    Diving.
    Rolling ball forwards for free kicks.
    Taking thrown in's in the right spot.
    Delaying a kicker Taking a quick free-kick.

If only , we had those sophistication of observations .