+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: St George flag over Downing Street for Women's world cup.

St George flag over Downing Street for Women's world cup.

Tweet re-tweeted by Ffwtbol Twitter page tonight suggests that May agreed for English flag to be flown for women's world cup at PMQ's today. Can anyone confirm this happened?

Re: St George flag over Downing Street for Women's world cup.

I saw a link to a Wales on Line article about it so either it is true or theyre using this thread as a basis for their story.

They are going to put one up for the england game on thursday, so they asked if they would do one for the womans world cup as well and she said yes they would. I would expect them to put one up for any of the other home nations who qualify too

Good on them. After all you should support your country's team. I remember in the Euros when they took down the three lions flag and replaced it with the FAW flag when ingerland got knocked out and we progressed......oh, hang on.

If I am honest I couldn't give a fig what flag they had up there.

Wait for the inevitable sad bastards to complain the flag is racist

They're making the Welsh Office fly the English flag tomorrow due to the Belgium game

That's taking the piss to be honest, I was fairly ambivalent about England's game tomorrow, now I want the Belgians to hammer them

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    They are going to put one up for the england game on thursday, so they asked if they would do one for the womans world cup as well and she said yes they would. I would expect them to put one up for any of the other home nations who qualify too
    They conveniently forgot that the side they are directly competing against to qualify for the Women's World Cup is Wales, anther home nation the last time I checked

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They're making the Welsh Office fly the English flag tomorrow due to the Belgium game

That's taking the piss to be honest, I was fairly ambivalent about England's game tomorrow, now I want the Belgians to hammer them
    The Welsh Office is choosing quite willingly to do so. Another of Alun Cairns' masterstrokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    England haven't qualified yet. They're second in the group, behind Wales. Wales v England is up next and a draw will put Wales through. I doubt we'll see the Welsh flag on all government buildings if we qualify.

The whole thing has been the idea of Nick Boles who is an absolute tosser obsessed with the St George’s cross

https://www.football365.com/news/med...without-a-flag

https://news.sky.com/story/downing-s...games-11418570

Downing Street will fly the St George's flag for England's remaining 2018 World Cup games.

Theresa May congratulated manager Gareth Southgate's team on their two wins in Russia and promised to carry on the tradition of her predecessors.

She announced at PMQs on Wednesday: "Number 10 will be flying the England flag on the day of each of England's matches from now on and will be encouraging other government departments to do the same."

But Mrs May pledged to go further than previous premiers and do the same next year for the women's FIFA World Cup.

Scottish Secretary David Mundell added on Twitter he was "happy" to do the same, "as I am confident No 10 and other UK departments will be flying the saltire in 2022".

The Welsh Office also confirmed to Sky News it would hoist the St George's flag for England's next match against Belgium on Thursday.

The original call came from Tory backbencher Nick Boles, who paid tribute to England's "young and diverse team" .

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    England haven't qualified yet. They're second in the group, behind Wales. Wales v England is up next and a draw will put Wales through. I doubt we'll see the Welsh flag on all government buildings if we qualify.
    England will still have to play Kazakhstan which seems strange only a win will be enough imo

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    England will still have to play Kazakhstan which seems strange only a win will be enough imo
    My mistake, I misread the table. It will need to be a win.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    The Welsh Office is choosing quite willingly to do so. Another of Alun Cairns' masterstrokes.
    Cairns is doing more for the independence movement than any AM, fair play to the kent

Does anyone really care ? ? ?