+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is a Championship all star team good enough to survive in the PL?

Is a Championship all star team good enough to survive in the PL?

Cause that's what it looks like we're going for.

Minus Maddison, Neves, Jota, Sessengon and a few others

Re: Is a Championship all star team good enough to survive in the PL?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Cause that's what it looks like we're going for.

Minus Maddison, Neves, Jota, Sessengon and a few others
    I hope so, but if it’s not then it’ll be fun finding out

I would say so.

Top 8 in the Championship and the bottom 6 in the Premier League - not a lot to choose.

Pick a team of the best Championship talents - add a strong team ethic and culture of hard work and ambition plus a tactically astute and motivating manager - and I think the All Stars would do fine.

I think if we are talking about the very best players in the Championship, they'd be fine, but I'd say we are going for a level down from that - although to be fair, Reid was selected in last year's PFA select team for the division. It's being reported that our transfer spending is now in the region of 30 million pounds and for that we have, apparently, got Reid, who is coming off the back of one season where he looked like a 10 million player and plenty of others where he'd struggle to fetch 10 per cent of that, Smithies and Cunningham, both rated among the best in their position in the second tier, but not the absolute best I'd say and Murphy, definitely a talent, but I think Norwich fans would probably describe him as an unfulfilled one at the moment.

This really brings home just how inflated the market for domestic players in the top two divisions has become in recent years. I support the policy of shopping for players in the Championship, but the very best in the division were always going to be out of our price range and so our signings have had an element of a gamble to them - doesn't mean they won't work though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think if we are talking about the very best players in the Championship, they'd be fine, but I'd say we are going for a level down from that - although to be fair, Reid was selected in last year's PFA select team for the division. It's being reported that our transfer spending is now in the region of 30 million pounds and for that we have, apparently, got Reid, who is coming off the back of one season where he looked like a 10 million player and plenty of others where he'd struggle to fetch 10 per cent of that, Smithies and Cunningham, both rated among the best in their position in the second tier, but not the absolute best I'd say and Murphy, definitely a talent, but I think Norwich fans would probably describe him as an unfulfilled one at the moment.

This really brings home just how inflated the market for domestic players in the top two divisions has become in recent years. I support the policy of shopping for players in the Championship, but the very best in the division were always going to be out of our price range and so our signings have had an element of a gamble to them - doesn't mean they won't work though.
    I'm inclined to think that it can work. Clearly player ability is important, but it's not the only thing that matters. How often do you see a team that's "too good to go down" get relegated. In these cases it's often down to disharmony in the dressing room, poor tactics or bad man-management.

Last year we brought in players from a lower standard to the Championship (NML, Etheridge, Damour) and they did very nicely for us.

We seem to have a recruitment plan that we're following that has served us well thus far - so I'm going to assume we'll be okay.

Add Ryan Woods to the team and our works done

I said before this close season I hoped we wouldn't go for unknown foreigners like last time. I hoped we'd go for hungry, hard working championship players and I couldn't be happier with the approach the club are taking this time round. Its quite similar to the approach of last season and we're doing our business early again. Its an exciting time to be a City fan and it looks like the club is in good hands this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    I said before this close season I hoped we wouldn't go for unknown foreigners like last time. I hoped we'd go for hungry, hard working championship players and I couldn't be happier with the approach the club are taking this time round. Its quite similar to the approach of last season and we're doing our business early again. Its an exciting time to be a City fan and it looks like the club is in good hands this time around.
    This is my view as well. It was clear we were going to try and add more pace and goals upfront of a really mean defence. I'm almost starting to believe we may have a chance of surviving next season - but this will depend on how the new players fit in. I'm pretty certain the main voices in the dressing room will still come from our defence though - so the leaders in the team shouldn't be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    This is my view as well. It was clear we were going to try and add more pace and goals upfront of a really mean defence. I'm almost starting to believe we may have a chance of surviving next season - but this will depend on how the new players fit in. I'm pretty certain the main voices in the dressing room will still come from our defence though - so the leaders in the team shouldn't be different.

Deli Ali came from MK

Vardy from Morecambe

Joe Hart from Shrewsbury

John Stones from Barnsley

Etc etc

[QUOTE=Penarth Blues;4895278]This is my view as well. It was clear we were going to try and add more pace and goals upfront of a really mean defence. I'm almost starting to believe we may have a chance of surviving next season - but this will depend on how the new players fit in. I'm pretty certain the main voices in the dressing room will still come from our defence though - so the leaders in the team shouldn't be different.[/QUOTE