+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensible recruitment or gambles likely to fail – what to make of Cardiff City’s summer transfer business so far?

Sensible recruitment or gambles likely to fail – what to make of Cardiff City’s summer transfer business so far?

Re: Sensible recruitment or gambles likely to fail – what to make of Cardiff City’s summer transfer business so far?

The Warnock Way is unlikely to come across as being sensible to most people, he is a one of a kind. There is method to his madness!

Re: Sensible recruitment or gambles likely to fail – what to make of Cardiff City’s summer transfer business so far?

Good article-in my opinion I believe sensible recruitment is the answer.If we fall short and return to the Championship I don't believe it is far fetched to suggest we would be challenging at the top immediately with the players we have brought in.I really don't see these purchases as a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I would say financially sensible if you accept the fact that every player is overpriced now especially British ones. But I would rather pay cicra 20 million for Murphy and Reid than 15 million for someone like Sam clucas

As for gambles I would suspect that apart from the very handful of elite players then every purchase is a gamble?

However I feel better heading towards this season in the premier than I did the last time

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    I would say financially sensible if you accept the fact that every player is overpriced now especially British ones. But I would rather pay cicra 20 million for Murphy and Reid than 15 million for someone like Sam clucas

As for gambles I would suspect that apart from the very handful of elite players then every purchase is a gamble?

However I feel better heading towards this season in the premier than I did the last time
    I agree with you, but I do find it hard to get my head around the fact that we're paying eight figure sums for players that can be categorised as gambles.

I would rather pay cicra 20 million for Murphy and Reid than 15 million for someone like Sam Clucas
    His family let him go to Swansea, so I would avoid the Clucas clan.

I'm cautiously optimistic - but with Warlock saying of his new signings comments like "I've fancied him for a long time" and then looking at Madine (of whom he said the same and who in hindsight might be considered a panic buy) these comments sound just a little hollow.

I'd like to know who he brought in when his Sheff Utd and QPR teams went up. Who did he 'fancy' then?

I also feel that the system he employs in the Premier League is more of an issue than the players used. For example, if we man-mark as we did last season, Morrison and Bamba are going to be pulled all over the place by savvy forwards, leaving huge gaps in defense.

Our biggest need is still for a goal-scoring forward, imo.

And Gunners was poor in the Prem last time - and is slower and perhaps more injury-prone now. Best let him go, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Dear oh dear .

Agree but that was my point - we have to put aside the eye watering figures as I assume this reflects the market place.

I'm excited if I'm honest and as a 53 year old that's quite an achievement as I'm normally a miserable cynical git

As always wonderful written article , gets you thinking , my rake on the signings are they are :

Medium risk as the players values are likely to stay the same due to there age and potential
    They are unlikely to drop in value and could be sold on if needed
    The players will likely stay if we go down ,giving s bounce opportunity
    My guess and hope the wage structure is more even this time around as we have not signed the the inflated wage ego players persons and left with that legacy if we go down ,which is likely.
    We do however need experience in midfield via loans .
    Keeper for me was critical .

Wonderfully articulated as usual Paul.

My view is that this is a very sensible transfer policy. I am hearing that the Reid transfer is 6 Million up front and the rest based on staying up and appearances. I suspect the Murphy deal is similar. That is sensible in my opinion. Smithies and Cunningham deals look great value for money.

These players are more likely to stay with us if do we go down or we could demand decent transfer fees due to their age and potential.

We could have gone the way of so many other teams and brought in permanent 'experienced' Premier League players on long contracts and high wages. We would then be saddled with them and they are VERY difficult to get off the books. Look at Sunderland! Also, 'experienced' premier league players that we *could* get are available to us for a reason... because they can't cut it in top 10 teams in the premier league. And look at the history of these players in the Championship, they don't do so well and are certainly not value for money.

But we do need some Premier League 'know how' and it seems that the experience we need will be coming, if the rumours are true, in form of loans... again that is very sensible because if we do get relegated we are not saddled with their wages and players we can't get rid of.

Credit to the club for going down this route and having 'faith' in the 'best' young and hungry players outside of the premier league. Yes it's risky but in my opinion it's a better gamble than the alternative I've outlined.

I think the key to all of the signings has been Neil’s ability to persuade Mr Tan that that they fulfill the dual criteria of being good enough for the present and also can carry us forward in the future,I don’t think any of this summers signings will be referred to as a project!.
    For me,the priority now is a central midfielder and another striker, I would love to pluck some names out of the air but these areas are probably going to cost and a lot of clubs at our expected section of the premiership are looking for the same thing.

I'd like to add to my message that i am very pleasantly surprised by Warnocks transfer dealings, I thought we would go for players whom he knew and worked with,.. tried and tested... however that policy in my view would fail as Warnock, to date, has not had great success in the premier league... so this new exciting approach is refreshing. Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks after all.

Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    I think the key to all of the signings has been Neil’s ability to persuade Mr Tan that that they fulfill the dual criteria of being good enough for the present and also can carry us forward in the future,I don’t think any of this summers signings will be referred to as a project!.
    For me,the priority now is a central midfielder and another striker, I would love to pluck some names out of the air but these areas are probably going to cost and a lot of clubs at our expected section of the premiership are looking for the same thing.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic - but with Warlock saying of his new signings comments like "I've fancied him for a long time" and then looking at Madine (of whom he said the same and who in hindsight might be considered a panic buy) these comments sound just a little hollow.

I'd like to know who he brought in when his Sheff Utd and QPR teams went up. Who did he 'fancy' then?

I also feel that the system he employs in the Premier League is more of an issue than the players used. For example, if we man-mark as we did last season, Morrison and Bamba are going to be pulled all over the place by savvy forwards, leaving huge gaps in defense.

Our biggest need is still for a goal-scoring forward, imo.

And Gunners was poor in the Prem last time - and is slower and perhaps more injury-prone now. Best let him go, I think.
    I think we need a midfield player who can control the tempo of the game and pick out a decent pass to the formwards we have. And yes maybe another striker.

Agree about Gunner, sadly.

I agree with you, but I do find it hard to get my head around the fact that we're paying eight figure sums for players that can be categorised as gambles.
    Transfer fees have changed a lot since we were last up. 10 million now was basically 5 million then.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Transfer fees have changed a lot since we were last up. 10 million now was basically 5 million then.
    That's true. And the money we receive from being there has also increased significantly.

Keeping possession in the middle of the park is still my biggest concern. However, I think we've now got something we never had in 2013/14 - genuine pace and width in an attacking sense. Our Premier League team back then never got behind the opposition and was rarely capable of being able to hit teams on the break. Our tactics were to try and force set-pieces and score from then. Yes, we'll be looking to do the same again this time around, given our strength in this area (we're probably stronger now than we were then), but I think we'll surprise a few teams with the pace we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Is that accurate? I thought 20 million now was basically 10 million then.

i think all the signings are rather low risk, they are in reality ( of the EPL ) low cost

I think all fans want to see big name players, the experienced premier league player, i think all fans are excited by the relatively unknown foreign player.

However i dont think the signings we have made are gambles, if Murphy or Reid have decent seasons their values will rocket from what we have paid for them. So you only need one of them to come good. Players like Morrison, Ralls, Zohore, NML can also see values raise from half decent seasons in the Premier League.

What we have done is ensured that we will not be carrying huge wages back down to the championship, we will be able to sell the top talent, retain the rest and still have a decent team left behind from the championship. There is always the chance that the new players shine and we stay up, but we have not gambled the house on it.

I think Sensible sums it up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    😂

We caught a few on the hop early last season with our ‘unknowns & rejects’, this gave us a great start & a momentum that barring Christmas we never really lost. Not sure if the same would apply in the Prem but would be something if we could catch a few cold with our relative, in Premier League terms, unknowns at the start of the coming season. Runners up it is then & Champions League👍

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We caught a few on the hop early last season with our ‘unknowns & rejects’, this gave us a great start & a momentum that barring Christmas we never really lost. Not sure if the same would apply in the Prem but would be something if we could catch a few cold with our relative, in Premier League terms, unknowns at the start of the coming season. Runners up it is then & Champions League
    I'm glad to see someone else being realistic about our prospects next year. I agree with you totally - though may not put a bet on it...