+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sensible recruitment or gambles likely to fail – what to make of Cardiff City’s summer transfer business so far?

Re: Sensible recruitment or gambles likely to fail – what to make of Cardiff City’s summer transfer business so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I'm glad to see someone else being realistic about our prospects next year. I agree with you totally - though may not put a bet on it...
    Great tactics PB, don’t want a bet putting the mockers on it, I won’t put one on either, we’re both potentially throwing away a fortune but for the good of the club our sacrifice is needed. I take my hat off to you sir, so selfless👍👍👍👍👍

Re: Sensible recruitment or gambles likely to fail – what to make of Cardiff City’s summer transfer business so far?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Great tactics PB, don’t want a bet putting the mockers on it, I won’t put one on either, we’re both potentially throwing away a fortune but for the good of the club our sacrifice is needed. I take my hat off to you sir, so selfless
    My thinking entirely - glad to see someone else being selfless too!

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    My thinking entirely - glad to see someone else being selfless too!
    Strongly resisting having a flutter on our inevitable FA Cup Final win as well, you joining me? 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Strongly resisting having a flutter on our inevitable FA Cup Final win as well, you joining me? 藍
    I might be tempted by that restraint too...

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see things in terms of risk. For me a good player is a good player. Even if a player is "proven" at a premier league club doesn't necessarily mean he'll succeed at Cardiff.

I look at someone like Bobby Reid and I see a lad who can play football and impressed me every time I watched him last year and the year before.
    He showed he could play against premier league opposition in their 3 games against the Manchester clubs.

I tend to look at it in terms of "does this player suit our club"?

Warnock has put a lot of emphasis on culture at our club since he's come in and we see a togetherness at our club which not many clubs will rival next season.

I also disagree with Bob saying that the players we've signed are not up there with the best in the championship. Admittedly the players who really caught my eye were either playing for Wolves or Fulham last year but if you listen to QPR fans then they believe Smithies is the best keeper in the league and Preston fans believe Cuningham is the best left back in the league. Now this is very similar to our gripes about players like Hoilett and Morrison going under the experts radar last season.

Bristol were only happy with the fee they had for Reid cos he was in the last year of his contract.

Murphy is a slightly different case as I don't think anyone could argue that he's up there with the best players in the division but what Warnock has seen is a player with obvious raw potential who seeks Warnock's style.

I'm very happy with our dealings so far and as long as we add a couple of midfielders I think we'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see things in terms of risk. For me a good player is a good player. Even if a player is "proven" at a premier league club doesn't necessarily mean he'll succeed at Cardiff.

I look at someone like Bobby Reid and I see a lad who can play football and impressed me every time I watched him last year and the year before.
    He showed he could play against premier league opposition in their 3 games against the Manchester clubs.

I tend to look at it in terms of "does this player suit our club"?

Warnock has put a lot of emphasis on culture at our club since he's come in and we see a togetherness at our club which not many clubs will rival next season.

I also disagree with Bob saying that the players we've signed are not up there with the best in the championship. Admittedly the players who really caught my eye were either playing for Wolves or Fulham last year but if you listen to QPR fans then they believe Smithies is the best keeper in the league and Preston fans believe Cuningham is the best left back in the league. Now this is very similar to our gripes about players like Hoilett and Morrison going under the experts radar last season.

Bristol were only happy with the fee they had for Reid cos he was in the last year of his contract.

Murphy is a slightly different case as I don't think anyone could argue that he's up there with the best players in the division but what Warnock has seen is a player with obvious raw potential who seeks Warnock's style.

I'm very happy with our dealings so far and as long as we add a couple of midfielders I think we'll be fine.
    Great post. I would like to see another No 9 brought in - but otherwise I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Agree but that was my point - we have to put aside the eye watering figures as I assume this reflects the market place.

I'm excited if I'm honest and as a 53 year old that's quite an achievement as I'm normally a miserable cynical git
    That's because you remember the Durban years

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Agree but that was my point - we have to put aside the eye watering figures as I assume this reflects the market place.

I'm excited if I'm honest and as a 53 year old that's quite an achievement as I'm normally a miserable cynical git
    Can't remember the poster but someone made the point that buying from championship (and from clubs like Norwich, Preston, Bristol City) should mean wages aren't exceedingly high and therefore we can increase without blowing our wage structure. One off payments (and I realise transfer fees are rarely paid in one lump sum) while in premier league on players not on exceedingly high wages protects our next two to three seasons whereas bosmans on exceedingly high wages wouldn't.

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Can't remember the poster but someone made the point that buying from championship (and from clubs like Norwich, Preston, Bristol City) should mean wages aren't exceedingly high and therefore we can increase without blowing our wage structure. One off payments (and I realise transfer fees are rarely paid in one lump sum) while in premier league on players not on exceedingly high wages protects our next two to three seasons whereas bosmans on exceedingly high wages wouldn't.
    ?