+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Grujic talks confirmed and a striker targeted

Grujic talks confirmed and a striker targeted

Cardiff City are targeting two further signings including a striker before the start of the Premier League season.

Manager Neil Warnock says he has identified potential forwards with a view to a loan deal.

The Bluebirds boss has also confirmed he is in talks to sign Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic on loan.

"We'd like a couple of loan players in. We've spoken to Marko and then I'd want to get a striker as well - that's the missing piece," Warnock said.

Warnock has signed four players since Cardiff booked their return to the top flight in May.

Deals for Preston left-back Greg Cunningham and Norwich winger Josh Murphy were followed by this week's capture of Queens Park Rangers goalkeeper Alex Smithies and Bristol City forward Bobby Reid.

Warnock already has three frontline strikers in his squad - Kenneth Zohore, Danny Ward and January signing Gary Madine - but says he wants one further option ahead of the new campaign.

"I just feel you need four at the top level so we'll be looking at one, but we won't rush into that," the veteran manager told BBC Sport Wales.

"We'll have a look but we've got until August 9 to do that and we'll try and bring somebody in, hopefully on loan.

"We've already looked, we think there will be four, maybe five, players that we would take and we only have to come out with one of them.

"I think we have a great chance because I can't see (all) five of them being bought for the kind of money we're talking about. We have to be patient and see what comes about."

Cardiff have also agreed a new deal with winger Junior Hoilett and are still in discussions with out-of-contract Iceland midfielder Aron Gunnarsson, though Warnock is keen to re-sign Grujic regardless.

The Serbia international, 22, spent the second half of last season on loan with the Bluebirds and played 14 times as they won promotion from the Championship.

Warnock says he has spoken to Liverpool about a season-long loan, adding: "I think it could suit everybody.

"I was delighted with him last year and hopefully things can work out. We can give him what nobody else can give him and that's Premier League games.

"They can see how he's improved with the games he had. He knows the way we play and I can only see him playing more games for us next year."

Re: Grujic talks confirmed and a striker targeted

It would be nice to have Grujic back.
    He was pivotal in that 8 game winning streak.
    He made mistakes but it was evident he was getting better.

So, we're going into the Premier League with a central midfield that is worse than last season's? Even if Gunnar stays and Grujic comes here again, we've lost Bryson from a part of the team that struggled to cope in the Championship for much of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, we're going into the Premier League with a central midfield that is worse than last season's? Even if Gunnar stays and Grujic comes here again, we've lost Bryson from a part of the team that struggled to cope in the Championship for much of the time.
    I'd be surprised if there aren't two central midfielders brought in, particularly considering Gunnarsson may well go.

Hes trying to play things down like he did with the budget I’m sure.

IF this is the case then I think we should indeed worry, but it may be that we use Tomlin there next year along with Patterson, Reid and Murphy if needed. I can see Warnock thinking about a holding midfielder or two with a mobile four in front of them as being the way he'd prefer to go.

However, I'd prefer us to have at least one hard tackling midfielder in there who can also pass the ball well. I'm not sure Ralls will make the step up as quickly as we'd like but let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure you and Trigger are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    IF this is the case then I think we should indeed worry, but it may be that we use Tomlin there next year along with Patterson, Reid and Murphy if needed. I can see Warnock thinking about a holding midfielder or two with a mobile four in front of them as being the way he'd prefer to go.

However, I'd prefer us to have at least one hard tackling midfielder in there who can also pass the ball well. I'm not sure Ralls will make the step up as quickly as we'd like but let's see.
    If live to see Tomlin play a let howver I just can’t see it. Warnock always referred to him as a forward rather than a midfielder.

Now that is a worry, unless he's being canny , surely he doesn't think Patterson, Gunnerson ,Ralls and Grujic ard good enough on thier own , the other option we kick it over them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    If live to see Tomlin play a let howver I just can’t see it. Warnock always referred to him as a forward rather than a midfielder.
    He could play no 10, hes has all the ability .

I’ve seen no evidence that he has ALL the ability and we’ve just spent ca. £20m on 2
    attacking players who could both conceivably play the #10 role people refer to

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    That's right. Then it will be an even bigger buzz when Greg Halford re-signs!

Yeah absolutely. I wish we saw more of him last year. It justv we lose some legs in midfield when he’s playing 10. Think this is why Bryson was preferred last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

Tomlin must be going out the door, he didnt have what was needed in the championship, never going to make it in the Prem league,

a shame as he has all the moves, but just doesnt seem to want to bother

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Tomlin must be going out the door, he didnt have what was needed in the championship, never going to make it in the Prem league,

a shame as he has all the moves, but just doesnt seem to want to bother
    I'd say that Tomlin has a very narrow window of opportunity at the start of pre-season training to show NW he has what it takes. IF Tomlin has bust a gut since the end of the season to get fit then he MIGHT just make the squad. My feeling is that he hasn't got a hope in hell of changing his fitness that radically in such a short space of time and so will be moved on if we get any takers.

What are the other rules about make-up of squads in the Prem? Is there something about a certain percentage of U-23's, academy players, etc? This could impact a lot of who we have in the team e.g. Healey, Ralls, etc.

I wonder if the striker is Abel Hernandez

"I think we have a great chance because I can't see (all) five of them being bought for the kind of money we're talking about. We have to be patient and see what comes about." ???

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wonder if the striker is Abel Hernandez
    If it is, it is not a loan signing as he is out of contract and a free agent tomorrow!

[QUOTE=BLUEAWAY;4895687]"I think we have a great chance because I can't see (all) five of them being bought for the kind of money we're talking about. We have to be patient and see what comes about." ???[/QUOTE

It may not be any of these, as you say we will have to wait and see

Id be well up for a loan move for mason mount

Anyone else alarmed at the lack of talk of a quality right back?

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    Yes slightly. Peltier isn’t quick enough and jazz too injury prone. Paterson is too much of a risk there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    Not at the moment.

Lee Peltier is solid and capable defensively but no great shakes in an attacking sense.

I hope Jazz Richards will develop into a Premier quality player - he has more pace and forward threat than Peltier if not quite the same defensive solidity.

One or other of those two should be enough (with Manga and/or Connolly as emergency cover).

However, whilst I can imagine us being OK at right back next season, I can also understand why some fans fear Peltier will be exposed and Jazz will flop. I hope they're wrong but we won't know until the season starts.

If we could only bring 2-3 more players in this window I wouldn't have a right back as a priority. (Two top midfielders in addition to Gunnar and a goalscoring No 9 please).

Central midfield has been a problem for at least 4 seasons Paul. But we have found away of getting away with it last term. I would love to see Barry Bannon signed up.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Id be well up for a loan move for mason mount
    He looks a terrific player