+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Madine - Stop Hating Him

Re: Gary Madine - Stop Hating Him

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Name me one workhorse centre forward in the premier league , or even one successful championship team with a workhorse
    Centre forward.
    We need top class footballers up front and goals. Not hardwurkers.
    Charlie Austin, Ashley Barnes, Christian Benteke, Andy Carroll, Tomer Hemed, Fernando Llorente, Steve Mounie, Stefano Okaka, Collin Quaner, Jordan Hugill, Sam Vokes, Chris Wood. Is that enough ?.

As I said in another thread harry Maguire is in the current England team and won player of season at a premier club last year- and he said madine is toughest opponent he’s ever faced.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemicplanet9

"I love Gary. He is a Warnock-kinda player.
    So when he joined I was excited, finally a hardman who can head and fight his way through the defenders.
    But since he’s joined, he hasn’t hit home the ability he was showing in Bolton.
    He hadn’t got 14 goals for no reason.
    He may have missed the penalty against Wolverhampton but it was a good penalty with an even better save. Hoilett smashed it, and missed! So that wasn’t 100% his fault.
    But he hasn’t had many starts, but when he had been on he did a job.
    He is a large striker and holds the ball up, he isn’t the fast striker we’ve been playing with for long.
    We can tell that he is low on confidence and he needs a goal. I believe when he grabs it, he will do well.
    He’s the type of player who needs an arm around him, not fans having a go at him...
    So please, next time you think “For **** sake, he’s shite” remember, he thrives on love not hate.
    Please,
    Don’t hate Madine."

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    It's not a very catchy song - what tune should it be sung to?
    Priceless!

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Charlie Austin, Ashley Barnes, Christian Benteke, Andy Carroll, Tomer Hemed, Fernando Llorente, Steve Mounie, Stefano Okaka, Collin Quaner, Jordan Hugill, Sam Vokes, Chris Wood. Is that enough ?.
    I think you've misunderstood the meaning of workhorse. Christian Benteke: A Workhorse - ha-ha.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    As I said in another thread harry Maguire is in the current England team and won player of season at a premier club last year- and he said madine is toughest opponent he’s ever faced.
    I've looked for that quote and it appears you've taken his words out of context. He didn't say that he's the toughest opponent he's ever faced.

Direct quote:
    But asked about his early tests in the Football League, Maguire added: “It is strange when you are young. I was playing in League One and I used to analyse my opponents a lot. Every week, I used to think, ‘I have got another big test here’. I can remember playing against Gary Madine when he was at Sheffield Wednesday and I was at Sheffield United (Oct 2011).

“He was always a big handful – a good player. Then I thought he was a top player and he was going to be hard to mark. But then, like you said, I have progressed up the leagues and you come up against players who have played at the top level for years. Now it is Holland and Italy – it doesn’t get any easier!”
    He was asked specifically about playing in League One and responded by talking about a player he used to worry about... in League One.

I think there’s a slightly more updated one pre Panama game but the point stands.

He’s clearly a player who can cause defenders worries and has continued doing so even in his time with us.

He obviously hasn’t been as good as hoped so far but at the worst he’ll be a popular and effective championship striker for the next 7 or 8 years or so. Anyone you could say that about has at least half a chance in the premier league as the difference isn’t great.

I think there’s a slightly more updated one pre Panama game but the point stands.

He’s clearly a player who can cause defenders worries and has continued doing so even in his time with us.

He obviously hasn’t been as good as hoped so far but at the worst he’ll be a popular and effective championship striker for the next 7 or 8 years or so. Anyone you could say that about has at least half a chance in the premier league as the difference isn’t great.
    He's 28 in August, so, whether you're right or whether those of us who think differently to you are right, I can't see him having another seven or eight years left as a Championship level striker.

Heisenberg

I wouldn't say that, though.

Also, Maguire's quote clearly states that he used to worry about playing Madine when he was playing in the lower divisions, but has since played against players who have been at the top level for years. I can't see how your point still stands, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I wouldn't say that, though.

Also, Maguire's quote clearly states that he used to worry about playing Madine when he was playing in the lower divisions, but has since played against players who have been at the top level for years. I can't see how your point still stands, to be honest.
    Maguire has obviously improved and is now playing in the Premier League, so why cant Madine do the same ?. Maquire says Madine was a good player when he came up against him and they were both playing at the same level then. If the current England centre half thinks Madine was a good player then that should be good enough for most people. Maguire got his chance and took it, so lets hope the same thing happens to Madine. When Maquire played in League one for Sheff Utd he looked a decidely average player at times but has improved greatly since moving up two levels, because he was given the chance to by Hull and Leicester. The previous posters point still stands. Some people are never going to admit that Madine might be a good player because they don't like him and are not prepared to give him the chance.

Austin?!
    Benteke?!?!
    Llorente?!?!?!??

Jesus

How many premier league games have the rest played? Has hugil started many games even?

Heisenberg

Maguire has obviously improved and is now playing in the Premier League, so why cant Madine do the same ?. Maquire says Madine was a good player when he came up against him and they were both playing at the same level then. If the current England centre half thinks Madine was a good player then that should be good enough for most people. Maguire got his chance and took it, so lets hope the same thing happens to Madine. When Maquire played in League one for Sheff Utd he looked a decidely average player at times but has improved greatly since moving up two levels, because he was given the chance to by Hull and Leicester. The previous posters point still stands. Some people are never going to admit that Madine might be a good player because they don't like him and are not prepared to give him the chance.
    BECAUSE MADINE HASN'T IMPROVED IN THE TIME THAT MAGUIRE HAS! (Sorry, thought the caps might spell it out)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    BECAUSE MADINE HASN'T IMPROVED IN THE TIME THAT MAGUIRE HAS! (Sorry, thought the caps might spell it out)
    Maguire improved because he was taken up two levels by Hull and then Leicester. Playing at a higher level with better players improved him. How do you know that Madine wont do the same now that he has been given the same chance.

Heisenberg

Maguire improved because he was taken up two levels by Hull and then Leicester. Playing at a higher level with better players improved him. How do you know that Madine wont do the same now that he has been given the same chance.
    I don't know! I'm purely judging him by his career so far. You seem to think that a step up will somehow, miraculously, make him a better player - when there's absolutely no reasoning as to why it would when he has been average at lower levels throughout his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Austin?!
    Benteke?!?!
    Llorente?!?!?!??

Jesus

How many premier league games have the rest played? Has hugil started many games even?
    Examples were requested of Premier League or Championship clubs that have workmanlike, strong, centre forwards. All of the players I have listed fall into this category and are playing currently. Surely you have heard of Ashley Barnes and Sam Vokes at Burnley ?.